Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moen Faucet Quality?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 7:32

I've found a fantastic deal at Lowe's on a ss Moen single lever pull out faucet, Darcey. (I think it may be close-out stock because few dealers online sell it). I was headed for Delta or Kohler, but this seems too good to pass up and it's just what I'm looking for. Can anyone comment on Moen faucet quality? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moen Faucet Quality?

I'll quote both my plumber (master plumber) and contractor as well as many here in the forum, "Good medium priced faucets and their famous for their warranty which is for the life of the faucet". I've bought the Moen Aberdeen for our kitchen and love it. We're updating the entire house and I will be using only Moen for the sinks, showers and tub.

o

We recently had a Moen single lever kitchen faucet fall apart after only three years. The lever pivots on a roller ball mechanism. Gunk gets down in the roller and cleaning it out requires turning the lever to get at the entire surface. The first time I deep cleaned the faucet, the lever quit working properly and we were only able to use it with very gentle motions or the faucet wouldn't work. DH is very handy, so it wasn't a case of not knowing what to do. We didn't try to use the warranty, so can't advise you on that. I couldn't find a picture of Darcy or the faucet we had, so don't know if it is the same or not. If the price is good enough, though, you can always take a chance.

o

What I have heard from most plumbers is the quality of the faucets in the "box stores" are not the same quality that is available to them as contractors. That is why some plumbers do not like to install faucets purchased by homeowners; they would much prefer to install faucets they can get through their plumbing supply place. Maybe you could ask that ? re the quality.

o

It is my understanding that ball valves have the most moving parts and are more prone to leakage. Better to stick with cartridge or ceramic-disk valves. Plumbers are pretty pragmatic and usually prefer faucet brands where replacement parts are readily available or ones they are familiar with and know from experience.

o

I agree with twotogo that the quality of a brand faucet might not be up to par. As stated in many posts regarding this topic, it would be wise to compare the product codes with the product site to see if it matches. If it's off by a digit, changes are the guts of the faucet have been down graded from brass to plastic. One reason, the main reason plumbers prefer to buy the faucet is because they buy it at wholesale and make money on the markup, so I never buy into that.

Steff 1-you should call Moen, they do offer a life time warranty on their products and from what I understand are very responsive.

o

Moen isn't a fancy name, but they sure have seemed dependable to me. The lifetime warranty will supply you with parts for as long as you care to keep your faucet. You will probably consider it dated, old and tired before it wears out.

After 13-15 years, I had to have my original builder's grade Moen kitchen faucet repaired because our remodel wasn't ready yet, the faucet was leaking and we couldn't remove it from the countertop (the mounting hardware and corroded shut over the years) to do a temp install of a new faucet. The cosmetic issues were greater than the internal parts -- the thing was an old style (lift handle in front that I think was more prone to wear and tear than most), was dated and had mineral deposits on it. All the plumbing fixtures in the house were original Moen, now 20-21 years old, and that is the only problem we've had. We are making out way around the house to update the fixtures, but not having any problems with them.

o

Co-workers husband is a master plumber who got tired of the hours and grind. He closed his business and works for HD now and claims this is nothing but an urban myth (not to mention consumer fraud). HD sells knock down versions of product but it will be differentiated in a discernible way from regular product sold by that manufacturer (either sold as a HD house brand or as an exclusive product to HD under the actual manufacturers name - I think Franke does this). Just ask.

Plumbing suppliers are usually happy to sell to DIYers. I just told the one we used that my plumber referred me and I got a discount(there fancy consumer showroom was just around the corner).

o

Actually, I was wondering about whether Lowe's was selling some kind of "knocked down" version of the Moen faucet I'm looking at, but the product code numbers on the box match that of the Moen site. Does this kind of thing happen? There is such a huge discrepancy in price between the Lowe's price ($188.00) and the online site (including Moen site) price (over $350.00) that I just can't account for the difference--unless, as I mentioned in my first post, it is some kind of close out price.

o

I noticed that Lowe's carries some Moen faucets that are exclusive to Lowe's. So you will see them (with the exact model number) on the Moen website, but only Lowe's has them. I bought a couple Lowe's-only Moen faucets and ended up returning them because the quality didn't seem very good. I did end up with Moen faucets (Aberdeen & Camerist - not from Lowe's) and I am happy with them - so just be aware that you get what you pay for with the Lowe's cheap version of the Moen faucets.

o

I just bought a Moen faucet from HD. The retail price suggested on Moen's site was something like $550. I paid $230 through the HD website; this model is not available in the stores. It hasn't been installed yet, so I don't know how well it works, but both the design and the finish seem very nice, and it's heavy! We just had a bathroom updated with Moen faucets (purchased through the bath place, so we didn't buy them directly), and they also seem very solid.

o

Hmm, well, I'm pretty confused now. I did go back to Lowe's today and talked to the person in plumbing--a guy who knew his stuff. He assured me that the faucet, despite being much cheaper, is the exact same product I'd get if buying it through another venue. Perhaps I should call Moen to confirm.

o

I have 2 Moen Anabelle faucets. I had a problem with the weight on one of them and also the soap dispenser in that same set. Moen sent replacement parts immediately for both and all has been well ever since. I can't say enough about their customer service.

o

I have a moen pull-out faucet in the kitchen. It is only about 3 years old and doesn't work properly. The internal parts are spinning around so we never know which side the cold or hot water will come out of. Sometimes it is correct, other times the hot is to the left, cold to the right (and vice-versa). After talking with other moen owners this is not an uncommon problem. I won't buy another one - ever.

o

From the Moen website:

Do all Moen products consist of one standard of quality regardless of whether the distributor is a retail or wholesale supplier?
Moen's production line does not differentiate between wholesale and retail models. There is only one grade of brass, only one grade of cartridge and only one grade of warranty coverage - the best. While the numbering system for Moen's wholesale distributors and retail distributors may vary and subtle installation and trim differences may exist (these may include, but are not limited too, packaging, threaded or slip-fit style tub spouts and metallic or non-metallic drain assemblies). The quality and limited lifetime warranty against leaks, drips, materials, and workmanship remain the same for all of our products.

Not sure if it makes things any clearer for you. If you like it I'd go for it, you have the warranty and unlike certain bathroom fixtures repairing a kitchen faucet isn't that problematic.

o

I am satisfied with the quality of the faucet I have (Medora stainless steel). But most of all, I would like to give a big "thumbs up" to Moen customer service. I had a stainless steel soap dispenser with a small cosmetic defect. The model I had was no longer available, so Moen replaced it with a similar model, no questions asked and said keep the one with the minor flaw. Later, the hose weight on the faucet hose kept coming off. They replace that too, again, no questions asked. I am impressed.

o

caryscott, thanks for posting that blurb from the website. Before I saw your post, I posted the same question over on the plumbing site and I'm interested to see if anyone answers. I guess what just has me floored is the huge price difference between Lowe's (188.); the few other online sites I found the "Dorsey" on ($379.); and the Moen website that says it retails for over $500.! Anyway, I guess I'm feeling lucky--because I really like it and its only $188.00!

o

I loved theh Dorsey, too. But it doesn't come in ORB.

I am impressed with Moen customer service, too, and haven't even bought my faucet yet! I found the Aberdeen on ebay from an independent seller (not an ebay store) and so I wrote Moen and asked if the warranty was valid in a situation like that (it isn't). They replied with a link to their authorized dealers. So I wrote again and asked if only buying from those dealers listed provided the lifetime warranty and provided them with the list of ebay stores I was looking at.

They called the next day! A very nice man explained that their warranty is in place bought from any store, just keep the receipt, and to be sure to buy from someone with a good rep on ebay.

I was impressed by that level of customer service for someone who wasn't even a customer yet!

o

Hi,

I too have to say that Moen customer service is excellent. I have a single lever Colonade in copper. The metal inside started to corrode and made it difficult to swing the faucet from side to side. (This is caused by leaking where the hose connects to the pull out section)Anyway, they no longer carry the faucet in copper, so they sent me an entire new faucet in stainless and all the outside parts in the copper finish. (They do not sell the valve mechanism as a replacable part.)

I took the stainless parts off and put the copper ones on and voila a new copper faucet for no charge.

Al

o

The big-box home-improvement stores purchase in much larger quantities than your local plumbing supply store. That can be a chunk of the cost of the item alone, nevermind the deals that many big boxes have with manufacturers (manufacturers hold inventory, ship "just-in-time", stock shelves and displays, etc., which also reduce overhead and, therefore, the sales price.

This is not to sing the praises of big-box stores at the expense of the local guy (or gal, depending on the product). Plumbing supply stores (and high-end audio salons and lighting stores and such) can offer exclusive products, more-specialized knowledge, better support, and so on. Frankly, I prefer to shop at smaller stores than warehouses, and I usually am willing to pay some extra to do so.

But when I had to buy a kitchen faucet, I bought a Moen Monticello at the local Menard's and have had absolutely no complaints with saving the money or with its performance.

o

Well I think Moen's "life time warranty" is a joke. I purchased 2 bathroom sink faucets, 2 bathtub spouts including the handles and shower heads, along with a kitchen faucet. While they are in different styles, they are all the same finish, brushed nickel. Shortly after 5 months the finish on one bathroom faucet looked like it was discoloring/disintegrating. I contacted Moen, sent them pictures and was told "you must have used a harsh chemical on them. That isn't covered under warranty". I told them I clean all the faucets the same way and only one was discolored. I asked how is was possible that only one is bad when I used the same cleaning product on all of them. They replied "if it was a defective finish then it would be all over the faucet, not just the base." I told them it wasn't just the base, that the handle was starting to show the start of the same discoloration. They looked at the pictures and disagreed. I told them I didn't used anything harsh as I have asthma and chemicals bother me. They had to gall to tell me that I probably dropped Windex on the faucet when I was cleaning the mirror. I use a green window cleaner from a natural food store. That is the last time I buy Moen. I had to spend another $160 to replace it after only 5 months.
Check out these pictures and you decide.
http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/-OUpHm6h/sharing.html?sId=4aErTv0wyQdhUaLc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here