Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mech8t7

Williams-Sonoma Step Ladder - dimensions?

mech8t7
16 years ago

Hi everyone.

We'd like to have a spot in our new kitchen cabinets to store the thin profile WS step ladder (w/ two steps) that others have incorporated into theirs (even if we have to trim a couple of inches of the legs).

My problem is that the WS website does not detail either the width or the height when folded. Can anyone out there help me with that? (I am mainly concerned that the spot we are looking at might be too narrow.)

I'd go to the store and measure but we live in Toronto and it is not available from the Toronto-area stores. I don't want to go to the trouble of making special arrangement to get it to later find out that we can't make it fit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (10)

• jessie21
    16 years ago

I don't have this ladder, but googled it. In the description, it says the ladder folds to 1 3/4 inches. Now, that's small!!! This one is called ultra-slim. See if this is the one you meant.

Here is a link that might be useful: williams-sonoma ultra slim ladder

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

We have the one from the container store. It's made by Liefheit and it fits in a base cabinet. It's 22" high, 19.5" wide at the widest point and 1.5" deep when folded. It has 2 steps and holds up to 300 lbs. I notice it gives measurements on the product page but I used my tape measure and it's definitely 22" tall when closed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container store stepstool

• holligator
    16 years ago

I had a little cabinet built specifically for this ladder, but when I gave the cabinet maker the dimensions, I was concerned about the width and neglected to check on the height. He built the cabinet so that it has a toe kick under it. I pictured it going all the way to the floor, but I didn't communicate this to him. The opening ended up being approximately 29" high. The W-S site says that the "two-step ladder is 32 1/4" high," so there's no way it will fit. :(

This pic from their site made me realize the mistake I had made.

{{!gwi}}

Now, I'm hoping that the one loves2cook4six posted will fit. They have that one at the BB&B here.

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

FYI, for what it's worth, when open the top step is 17.5" off the floor on the Liefheit stool

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

But wait--you can pop the rubber feet off the W-S step stool, and cut the legs quite easily with a hacksaw so it will fit in a standard height cab with toe-kick. Ask me how I know:

Yes, you do lose some of the overall height (and a little bit of the cool factor with it being ever-so-slightly more sqaut with the shorter legs), but the height of the top step isn't much different (if at all, I forget) from the Leifheit/Polder stools. It's also MUCH lighter in weight than they are and MUCH easier to open and close.

• mech8t7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cat_mom:

Thanks very much for posting the pic of your cabinet. I think it was your earlier post about cutting the legs off that made me want to use this one for our kitchen. Your set up looks great! I am trying to squeeze the step ladder into a shallow cabinet on the island with an interior dimension of about 19.5" wide but we could make it a bit wider.

I'd be grateful if you'd post how wide your W-S ladder is.

Thanks in advance.

• holligator
    16 years ago

Oh, catmom, thanks!! The W-S would fit so much better into my little tiny cabinet, so thanks for showing me that. :)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

It measures about 18 1/2"--18 3/4" wide (I'm not the most accurate at measuring, but it definitely was under 19" wide).

The one thing to remember when cutting the feet, is the angle of the legs. I can't remember if each foot was cut at an angle (don't think so) or if one pair of legs needed to be left longer than the other pair (pretty sure this is what we had to do).

PS Don't forget, with the legs shorter, that bottom step is closer to the ground. I often go to step down, and find myself a little surprised that I don't have to step as far as expected! I love this step stool though, and was thrilled that my DH was able to make it fit.

• mech8t7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cat_mom: thank-you very much for measuring your ladder for me!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

You're welcome! I hope it works out for you. It's not cheap ($92 or $94 when I got it last year) but well worth the $ IMHO. I use it often and because it's so light and easy to open/close, I don't mind using it.

Of course, there is the "bling" factor, too....did you notice how nicely it coordinates with my kitchen, and my dust pan in the same cab? LOL!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022