Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outonalimb_2007

Ikea vs. higher-end (Signature or Cabico)?

outonalimb_2007
16 years ago

I have heard great things about how Ikea is better than any other lower-to-mid-price cabinet, but does anyone have an opinion about how Ikea cabinets compare to higher-end cabs like Signature or Cabico(both semi-custom or custom), in terms of durability/longevity? I am looking at these brands, all frameless with 3/4" plywood boxes, full extension glides and Blumotion, but the cost is waaaay higher than Ikea, even if I factor in the $2500 deposit we already paid our KD -- there is a net difference of about $12-13,000 (about $21k for the expensive cabs, versus about 8k for Ikea, including the deposit we would have to kiss goodbye). Installation seems to be roughly equivalent, a little higher for the higher-end cabs.

This is our forever house, and we want these cabs to last as long as possible (although it appears that I could replace the Ikea cabs sometime down the road for about the extra that I would pay now for the more expensive ones, factoring in the labor etc). Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the expensive ones really would hold up any longer than the Ikeas? Thanks.

Comments (24)

• terible
    16 years ago

I don't have the answer on whether one is better than the other. I like Ikea but it's the size limitations that keep getting in the way. For example I do not see the point of putting in a new kitchen with the shallow 12" wall cabs (for me) when all my plates and many other items are large or bulky sized and space is limited. Many here have Ikea and are happy with them though. If you run into limitations with any one line you could always mix and match if possible and save some money. Sorry thats all I have but am sure you will get lots of help from all here.

• rucnmom
    16 years ago

We put Cabico cabinets in the in-law apartment we added to our house last year. We have not had any wear issues with the "guts" or the painted finish. I am not familiar with IKEA at all so I can't coompare. I am just very satisfied with Cabico.

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

I'm attaching a recent thread that was a great help to me on this topic. I hope it is equally helpful to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA thread

• linley1
    16 years ago

I don't have any personal experience with the brands you mentioned, however I have had Kitchencraft in the past which is a frameless semi-custom line. I'm not sure you'd see that much difference in terms of the actual cabinet durability. I think most of the wear and tear is on the cabinet doors & drawers.

I think most of the cost differential you see is due to the DIY nature of Ikea (no design services and self assembly) and the limited options in doors, cabinet sizes & trim/accessories (esp. decorative moldings). Cosmetically, I think some of the frameless lines use a nicer laminate interior and have more traditional wood drawer frames instead of Ikea's metal ones.

I'm thinking of using Ikea cabs with custom doors if I can just get my DH to get over his distaste for metal drawers. You might take a look at this option as well (see link below). I think you can save quite a bit this way but it does require more time and responsibility on your part.

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea w/ custom doors

• homey_bird
    16 years ago

I have been following up with most of the recent discussions on this ikea cabs topic of late; and while it is true that this topic has been disucssed extensively on the boards, from a layman-homeowner's perspective, I have found each thread focussing on a unique aspect of getting ikea cabs with something else. Therefore, I do see the value in each thread.

Having said that, it seems like this topic is getting traction -- so I was wondering if it might be possible to create a collection of ikea-related threads, AND links such as the one posted by linley1 on the original thread; where people can catch up with basics or information already available.

• dafogle
    16 years ago

There's a ton of information and support for IKEA kitchens at
    IKEAFANS ... www.ikeafans.com/forums - come and take a look if you're serious about or considering an IKEA kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEAFANS

• malhgold
    16 years ago

I don't think you're really getting an answer to your question and I'm not sure you really can. You'd basically have to find someone that has had both Ikea cabs and semi-custom or custom cabs for the same amount of time to make a comparison. I think Ikea does make a great product, and keep considering them on and off. Like you, this is my forever house and I don't want to do this again(already did it once 12 years ago, on a much smaller scale and the layout doesn't work anymore so we're doing it again). I'd love to find someone that has had their Ikea cabs for 15 years or more and they could tell me how the boxes are holding up. They do have a very nice warranty, but as someone had mentioned many threads ago about Ikea, it's great to have the warranty, but if something does go wrong, you're talking about $$$ to get them replaced. Tearing off counters, what if the box sizes have changed and it's hard to replace as is...I don't know. Nothing has a lifetime guarantee and all kitchens will take abuse. Maybe you should post on Ikeafans.com saying that you are looking for anyone that has had their cabs longer than 15 years and how are they holding up. If you have alot of upgrages to the doors/cabs in terms of stain, moldings, etc, maybe Ikea isn't for you at all, regardless of the quality. I have only found 1 door style that I like(glossy white) and I'm skeptical about the finished sides really looking great on end cabs...so I do have some reservations. I don;t want to spend all this money on counters, sinks, lighting, etc. and then feel that the cabs fell short. On the other hand, I have seen some gorgeous Ikea kitchens.

Sorry...I know this doesn't help you much. It doesn't help me answer my own questions about Ikea either.

• bethv
    16 years ago

I tried to make the Ikea cabinets work in my kitchen design wihtout much luck because of the size limitations and lack of trim. I'm going with Kabinart cabinets from MKFUSA.com. They have 67% discount, So we're paying about $260 linear ft for all plywood boxes, dove-tail drawers, solid wood doors, blumotion, full overlay, and a 15% upcharge for painted cabinets - the rest is cherry; and $1,200 in shipping. If you already have a design or are paying for one, you should check out the cost of implementing this way instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kabinart cabinets.

• rachelle_g
    16 years ago

We have Cabico and found them quite reasonably priced for semi-customs. And we fully took advantage of that customization: (1) mixed frameless with framed cabinets (for open shelving units); (2) got sizes down to the 1/2 in to minimize fillers and maximize space; (3) got them to customize pullouts in upper cabinets; (4) got them to customize a door on a pullout so that it looked like a drawer and door, to make the cabinet run more symmetric.

The price different you mention seems extreme to me for Cabico. Are you really comparing the same types of cabinets (similar door styles, similar trims, etc)?

• lisa_sandiego
    16 years ago

Did you already find out that the Ikea cabinets would fit? I did the on-line design off their web site and their limitations made up my mind. No matter what combination, I couldn't get them to fit in our existing kitchen at our rental. Otherwise, it looked like a good deal. I do like the drawer and cabinet organization system they have.
    Good Luck!

• kitchenmom
    16 years ago

I've only had my Ikea cabs for 2 years, but I have relatives who have had Ikea cabinets in their kitchen for 10 years and they are still great. I haven't seen Fairegold here in a long time, but I think she's had her cabinets for quite some time. I can't compare because I'm not familiar with the semi-custom or custom lines, but based on my experience, I see no reason why the boxes and innards would fail. The doors might get banged up, depending on the degree of use, but I don't think custom cabinets are immune from this kind of wear either.

I have to say, I never understand when people talk about the size limitations. I know there aren't as many gradations as in custom, or even semi-custom lines, but there are still a wide variety of cabinet sizes, running in 3 inch increments from 12-36. In the planning stage, I must have had about 8 different configurations and could find the cabinet sizes to work every time, with no more than a couple inches of filler in some of the designs.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

In terms of durability, I don't think you'd see much difference. Once properly installed, the cab boxes should withstand decades of day-to-day use. I once had a kitchen with cabs the builder insisted were 'upgraded', but the drawer boxes were particle board, stapled together. Constant headaches as they got out of square, bottoms collapsed, fronts fell off.

The Ikea drawers are Blum tandems, which is as good a drawer as you can get. They also use a blum hinge, but I'm not sure which, or if they come with/accept the soft close clips.

Disaster can strike any cab-- a plumbing leak, someone tripping over/stepping in an open drawer. Most of these are repairable, some aren't. Heavy ply boxes probably increase the odds of a successful repair, but what are the chances it will ever be an issue? Unanswerable.

But: if this is your forever house, how do the Ikea sizes fit your space? Having a lot of spacers or cabs that aren't *quite* right is tougher to take in a space you hope to never remodel or upgrade again.

Are you one of the lucky, lucky few who flat out loves an Ikea door, or would you be looking at upgrading that right off?

And what about budget: it's never a non-issue, but is it a big issue, or only a small one? What would you do with the money you save going with a non-custom cab like Ikea? Will it make much difference in other areas, or would it pretty much not matter at the end of the day?

I'm almost certainly going with Ikea boxes because the layout of my kitchen makes them a viable choice, I'm capable of customizing them on my own to acheive my dream kitchen, and the timeline looks better than going with Scherrs.

I am dead certain that I want quarter sawn oak, though, so that means Scherrs doors. Can wait for the doors, not the boxes. I consider this my 'forever' kitchen, because I can't imagine ever wanting to do this again...

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

oruboris, they do now come with their *own* soft-close clips. They modified the design just enough with Blum to make them proprietary...*sigh* but still a deal. I've retrofitted one hinge on each cabinet to take it and that's enough, even though they say to put them on both/all. Love the upgrade :)

• jennye
    16 years ago

I have 4 semi custom made Brookehaven cabs. in the baths and an Ikea kitchen. They all went in at about the same time (still in progress). I was going to put Brookehaven in the kitchen as well, but I saved about 20K by putting IKEA in. The IKEA really fit the bill for me, as I wanted modern cabinets. I had worked at a plan with the KD for BH and happened to be in IKEA that same day. I had been of the opinion that IKEA were cheap. When I saw the Abstract, I was so impressed! I realized that I wanted those cabinets more than BH on looks alone.

To be honest, I dont see much difference between the two. I have been very impressed with the IKEA. I dont know about the size problems people address. We had to put a strip or two in between a couple cabs., but I think we would have had to do that with the Brookehaven. The IKEA seem very sturdy and they are very easy to adjust. Right now, my IKEA cabs. have concrete counters on them. THey are easy to replace. I accidentally opened a door against a light and burned it. I went down to IKEA to buy a new one. Easy enough.

All that being said, if I had the money, the only other cabs. I would have considered would have been some very high end European cabinets, or perhaps Henry cabs.

I am seeing IKEA cabs. in many expensive homes around here.

Here is a link that might be useful: BH + IKEA

• outonalimb_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow. I just came back in to check for responses, and what an embarrassment of riches I found! Thank you all so much for such thoughtful, and helpful, responses. Mahlgold -- I guess misery must enjoy company, but it's nice to see that I am not the only one sweating this question.

Our budget is flexible (as my mother used to say, "afford is a funny word"), but the money saved would definitely be put to good use on all the other things our house needs, so if I can save here that would be great. I am not comparing apples to apples on the cabs -- the Cabicos are cherry, which of course Ikea does not carry, but I like the Tidaholm (very contemporary oak doors) almost as much.

I will definitely put the current design into the Ikea tool to make sure it will work -- I already know that I will have to do one modification, to create a corner sink cab (instructions on Ikeafans!!). I have some flexibility as we are doing a gut remodel, taking down walls, etc.,but I agree that if I have to jury-rig things too much it won't make sense.

You all have collectively helped me make up my mind --although I will also send up an inquiry at Ikeafans for anyone over there who has had their Ikea cabs a long time.

Thanks so much -- this is such a great site!!

• glennsfc
    16 years ago

Althouugh the IKEA system does not come with many trim options and custom sizes, any good cabinet/trim carpenter can modify most any of the parts to work in almost any configuration.

I had a job where I redesigned an existing corner cabinet where the customer wanted to discontinue the lazy susan (she hated it) and have BLUM drawers installed instead. The IKEA BLUM units did not come in the exact narrow size I needed, so I cut them to fit...just took a little redesign thinking and the right tools. These IKEA BLUM units are an absolute bargain!!!! Price the nonIKEA BLUM units and you'll quickly see why I said that.

When I installed IKEA cabinets in my own home, I simply modified the boxes and the doors to fit.

• joann23456
    16 years ago

I am almost sure that Tally Sue in NY mentioned she'd had Ikea cabinets for 15+ years in her last kitchen, and that they were perfectly sound when they took them out to install the new kitchen.

In my own kitchen, I have particle board cabinets that are 30 years old and are holding up fine, so I have no qualms about the material. (And we had a major floor from the bathroom upstairs which caused a number of the kitchen cabinets to swell up, but they eventually dried out and didn't fall apart.)

I'm excited to use Ikea cabinets because of the amazing - and low-cost - organizing tools for the drawers. The drawers themselves are excellent, much better than the ones that have held up just fine in my kitchen.

I really think that the savings come from DIY, from the huge economies of scale, and the limited door style offerings. I haven't decided yet whether to go with a custom door or an Ikea door, but the carcasses and hardware will most definitely be Ikea.

• toronto_doug
    16 years ago

I'll second or third the comments that Ikea cabinet size limitations are less than they seem with a some out-of-the box thinking and minor modifications. My Ikea work-in-progress will feature a 16.5" and a 33" upper cabinet - easily cut down from the next larger size cabinet and using doors from the angled corner cabinet. Although it can be done, depending on the door style cutting down doors can be tricky to not practical.

Everything is modular - you buy the carcass, doors, shelves etc. individually so you can pick and choose what you need and not end up with extra unused doors, etc.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

jennye - looks like you have the glossy white doors. Those are the ones that I like. Are they holding up well? Do they clean up easily? How did you do the island? Did you just cover the ends and the backs with another door? Any details would be great. Looks like you're finished. I remember all the problems you were having with the counters. Look like they got resolved.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Just remember that when you mod, you lose the warranty. Not to say we haven't modded til we're blue in the face, but just ftr.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

Not sure if any of you have seen this on the Ikea website. I think it's pretty amazing. Hope the link works!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Kitchens

• rosie
    16 years ago

That was fun, thanks, Mahlgold. Maybe not for people with balance or motion-sickness problems. :)

Regarding the warranty, I think it's just for replacement (not installation) of the boxes and doors anyway. The doors are literally as inexpensive as $2 each, or were, for the smallest doors in the lowest price line, and the individual box costs similarly just not a consideration.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I took out 15-year-old Ikea cabinets. They were European measures, so the sizes did change; now that Ikea sells U.S. sizing, frankly I wouldn't worry about size changing.

The hinges were great; the slides were good, except where the cabinets were leaked on for hours.

The door finish (Adel white) had yellowed a bit.
    Our hard use of the cabinets had chipped the melamine at the front edges of the base cabinets (however, I will tell you that I think the melamine was of fine quality--we're just really hard on stuff).

In fact, if:
    -we had never had a leak (which trashed the floor as well as a couple of cabinets)
    -Ikea hadn't switched from European sizes to American
    -we hadn't wanted to install a dishwasher
    we might have bought new doors and called it a day.

Well, no, maybe not, bcs the edges of the base cabinets really were worn and chipped. But they'd have been equally marred no matter what was there.

In fact, at one point, we DID buy new doors, bcs the countertop didn't extend all the way out, and water pooled on the top of the laminate doors, and got in through the seams; we switched to an Adel White door by the sink.

• semihandmade
    13 years ago

IKEA makes solid cabinets with great hardware for much less than custom. I know because we have a custom cabinetry business in LA and have started using IKEA more and more.

For people wanting a more built-in look than IKEA offers, just contact a local cabinet shop and have them make the one or two cabinets needed to bridge any gaps. Generally, we can do a kitchen with 80-85% IKEA, then customize the rest. I tell customers to get creative in the tricky spots - add some open or floating shelving, or maybe a wine rack.

We also make custom doors, panels and drawer faces specifically for IKEA - veneers and reclaimed materials you can't find anywhere else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Semihandmade

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio