Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medallion Gold Line White Painted Finish Cabinets

Posted by jlnjz (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 7:00

Can anyone tell me how well (or not) the finish has held up on your painted medallion cabinets? Also have the joints held well? Hate it when the paint cracks at the joints. Thinking of white painted shaker cabinets and the contractor wants me to use his cabinet builder but I'm concerned about cabinets painted in a shop vs cabinets with a "baked on factory finish". I'm looking at Medallion Gold Potters Mill with Divinity paint.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medallion Gold Line White Painted Finish Cabinets

I am looking at the exact same thing. FWIW..the KD who sells both KraftMaid and Medallion told me he thinks Kraftmaid finish is slightly better than Medallion. I am interested in hearing opinions from people here.

o

On a solid wood framed door the joints will show hairline cracks eventually on almost any brand- the ones you mention for sure. Some higher end brands will do it ever so slightly less at double the price. The only way to avoid hairline cracks at the joint is to use a solid MDF door.

o

jakuvall--Can you point me in the direction of a quality cabinet manufacturer who uses MDF for the shaker doors?

o

I have Medallion cabinets purchased at Menards the premium choice line. The Island and hood are Maple in Divinity installed 2 years now. I have not noticed any cracking of the paint and it cleans up easily.

photo 46154730-cf91-4ffd-aaeb-31efb7535602_zpsde8fa111.jpg

o

i don't know if this helps but i am looking at a shaker style door from medallion called lancaster in their silverline level. it is the same door as the potters mill in gold level. the silverline is not a solid wood door. the construction difference for the silver vs gold according to my kd is the replacement of plywood for mdf/particle board on sides. you could always upgrade the sides to plywood if that was important.

o

twosit- Two that I am certain of are(since I have them):
Elmwood makes a solid MDF shaker
NOTE the back of their door is going to be melamine, only front and edges are painted. But it is a great deal.

Mountaineer (limited range of distribution) offers one that is painted all sides, which leads me to think there are others, they use Conestoga for a lot of doors.

I personally think the cracks are not a big deal, they have been on painted doors for centuries, belong there. But have run into enough customers who disagree ;->

o

All -- this was really a big help!!

ardcp - thanks for the tip on the silverline level

rtwilliams -- your kitchen is gorgeous and I appreciate the input. Didn't realize that Menards carries Medallion....wondering if I should check out the pricing through them. Did you have a good experience? Love the tile on your backsplash, do you mind telling me what it is?

o

I had a good experience with the Menards employee I dealt with. I would call ahead when I was going to be in to review the cabinet design so I could work with him. You do have to know what is needed and be sure to order the right parts so your project is not held up. He was willing to call the Menards/medallion rep and have them look over our design before we placed the order. Menards is fairly new to our area and the Kitchen staff where not very experienced when we ordered 2 years ago. I am guessing they have gotten better now. We had a issue with one of the cabinets and they ordered a replacement one right away. We had our kitchen cabinets delivered but the basement bar that we just completed we picked up in our truck. We are fairly experienced DIY.

The backsplash is a 6 x 6 honed and filled travertine set on a brick pattern.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here