Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Backsplash Today/Tomorrow- 1/8" or 1/16" Joint???

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

Our BS has a four tile pattern. I don't want a big grout line. GC's PM mentioned that they usually recommend 1/8" b/c sometimes too small can cause issues- may not be enough grout and sometimes tile ... now I forget the word he used but basically said there are sometimes issues. They will do whatever I want though.

Do you think 1/8" joint will be too big for my pattern?
(It is Wizard Tile-- Ribbons and Feathers pattern)

We're not doing blue but here was a board from the tile store...

Here it is with 1/8" apart: (my color is a bit different than these samples)
These SAMPLE tiles don't seem to be straight so I can't make them all equal but it's an 1/8" at the center point.

AND AT 1/16" AT CENTER POINTS:

Comments (37)

• localeater
    11 years ago

Have I told you how much I love your tile?
    I think the word he might have used was lippage? Sometimes if the tiles aren't flat, and/or square, when you try to put them too close together you get areas where one tile is obviously higher than the one next to it. You can google gardenweb lippage for some examples. Most tile manufacturers have recommended spacing for the specific tile. I would call your tile shop and get their advice. Their sample board seems to show it really tight but, who knows how many tiles they tossed in the trash finding perfect ones to make that board?

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Although they do look tight, they don't look even. I think by spacing further apart, you won't notice the variation.
    They are tiles after all, not a single ceramic sheet. You will still get the effect of the pattern with the spacing further apart and the installation will look better.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

I think with the uneven tile you will need to go with the 1/8". It's LOVELY!!!!! I'm so looking forward to seeing it up and your reveal pictures. Please post progress pix today/tomorrow.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! These are the samples so I don't know how mine will be exactly but they are hand done so I assume the same variation?

Glad you like the tile : ) I can't wait to get it up! They are going to try to start this afternoon after finishing another job but I have a feeling it will be tomorrow.

• eam44
    11 years ago

What localeater said to the letter. Call your tile manufacturer. I can't wait to see it installed!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wizard said generally 1/8"

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Hey Fishies, I love your tile! Yes, lippage would be the word. You can see it quite plainly in their own sample board. I have it in my backsplash and my tiles have less variation than yours. Lippage isn't always visible, but UCLs, depending on their placement, can reveal it alarmingly. I would think that 1/8" would give the tilesetter more leeway to give you a more level surface. Can't wait to see the finished b/s.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

So was it today?!!! Pictures please...

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No : ( Tomorrow!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Can't wait - love tight grout but think you need 1/8 with your tiles.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Well, it's tomorrow, are they here yet or are you and DH the 'they'?!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha- You're funny : ) DH and I are definitely not "they".

However, they are here and are laying the pattern out on the island as we speak.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

We're waiting......:)

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

soooo exciting! 1/8 since there is variation is what i would do (if some ended up at 1/16, they will just need to use unsanded grout).

mine went in thursday and they are grouting now! i went with 1/16 but because of slight variations i'm sure it's 1/8 here and there. unsanded grout is going in as i type.

yay! can't want to see!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, no grout until tomorrow afternoon but here are some pics of before tile and after. It's hard for me to love it until the grout goes in. Also, whenever something new goes in I am nervous and it takes me a few days to adjust. lol
    The tiles are hand done and therefore irregular so right now the dark lines in between annoy me b/c I can see not all the lines are perfectly straight. also there are some spots where the pattern doesn't line up perfectly but if you moved the tile to line it up it threw off the pattern on the other side.

Anyway, it should end up being great. The tiles are beautiful and the pattern is SO subtle. Months ago some suggested not using it everywhere b/c it would be too busy. It is anything but busy actually. From many angles you can't even see the pattern until the light hits it right.

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Great progress fishies! I am the same as you, adjustment period and during that time continually stare at whatever is new...fret, stare some more, then love. Can't wait to see the grout! I love that subtle pattern - so pretty.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

It's looking really great! I assume your grout will make the irregularities fade away!

• taggie
    11 years ago

It will look COMPLETELY different and much much calmer when grouted. I almost had a heart attack when I saw my tile pre-grouting. The grouting makes all the difference. It will be gorgeous.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tile guy wasn't able to come today to grout. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Surprising how much texture that tile provides and how inconspicuous it is at the same time. I am smiling just thinking about how pretty it will look, grouted.

Sometimes I am thrilled by my tile and at others, I cringe a little (my warm UCL is not good to it, am thinking about changing to the cooler color light). I think what we'd all love is a tile that looks AMAZING close up, from a distance, and especially so when it's photographed. Mine looks good in certain lights/lighting, but really 'off' in others. I've learned to take lots of pictures :)

LOVE your kitchen and all you have done!

• berardmr
    11 years ago

I had the same feelings with my tile until it was grouted. It makes all the difference. Boy, you really hit the mark on the color of your cabinets. That yellow (barley?) is perfect!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oldbat & Berardmr- thanks so much! I can't wait to have it grouted. Glad you like the yellow and yes, it is Barley. After all those months I'm glad I kept searching for the right color!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I think the tiles look great! They add a lot of richness and character in a subtle way. Can't wait to see them grouted.

(I actually always love how the tiles look ungrouted when the lines are more visible.)

• jalsy6
    11 years ago

Fishies -
    I am green with kitchen envy. Totally stunning, and so impressed at how beautifully your vision came together (from someone who's vision frequently falls short!) Can't wait to see it grouted, it will be gorgeous I'm sure!

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Fishies, it's all looking so put together. I have a question. My hood and corbels is already installed, as yours is before backsplash. How do they tile by the curved molding under your cabinets? I have alot of little curves I'm wondering how they tile around that, do they trim the wood, or cutout the tile?? Thanks! Michelle

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Fishies, it's all looking so put together. I have a question. My hood and corbels is already installed, as yours is before backsplash. How do they tile by the curved molding under your cabinets? I have alot of little curves I'm wondering how they tile around that, do they trim the wood, or cutout the tile?? Thanks! Michelle

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle! Are you referring to the light rail that meets the wall? If so, ours was installed with a space there to slide the tile behind.

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

Does anyone else hear the Jeopardy theme song playing? I can't wait for finished pictures anymore!!!!!!!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Fishies!!!! We are waiting in anticipation! Please stop our pain and tell us the backsplash is grouted, gorgeous and when you will post pictures!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Fishies!!!! We are waiting in anticipation! Please stop our pain and tell us the backsplash is grouted, gorgeous and when you will post pictures!

• localeater
    11 years ago

Did the grout guy come yesterday? Is he coming today? I am having a bad day and need to see something beautiful. PRETTY PLEASE!

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

Omg your kitchen is gorgeous!!!! I want one exactly like it. Is that carrera???

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Fishies- yes that is what I was talking about. My cabinet makers installed my corbels with a space for the tile as well. However I now changed my mind and decided to tile that entire wall. So there will be a problem with some of the curvy trim pieces on the hood. Not sure what they will do.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

I really like the color of the cabinets.

Whose hood is that?

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

"Whose hood is that?"
    --why, that's Fishies' Hood!!!! Wooo Hoooo

Fishies, I'm bumpin' in hopes you suddenly remember that we are hoping to see grout! Did they come back?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

YES! We have grout and a pot filler!!! woo-hoo! I took about 100 pics today so I'm going to work on a final reveal post in the next few days! We still don't have a banquette bench and new table but other than that we're pretty much done!

Thanks everyone for your interest : )

PS- weedmeister- It's a custom hood my cab maker made.
    amadasplit- No, it is Vermont Imperial Danby Marble- supposed to be more durable than Carrara and it's also more expensive-- but less $ than Calacatta Gold, etc..

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michelle- To clarify, Our corbels did NOT have a space behind them. Neither did the cabs. Only the light rail trim on the INSIDE had a space for tile.