Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patreesh

Oyster vs. Morel

patreesh
14 years ago

Anyone have either of these finishes in Medallion cabinets? I'm having a really hard time making a decision. I brought home a couple of door samples and am drawn to the oyster but am afraid of not being able to coordinate this with other colors. Anyone have the Morel and love it???

Patreesh

Comments (12)

• User
    14 years ago

I have the Oyster Heirloom. I wish I had gone with the Morel in retrospect. The Oyster has a strong peach undertone which makes it hard to find paint that goes with the rest of my house (a lot of golds and reds). The Morel has more of the chalky grey color undertone that seems to be a better neutral. The color is really pretty; I just didn't see the peachiness of it till I tried to find a creamy yellow for the walls. I ended up with Tumeric by BM (Affinity deck).

Also, grey seems to be the new trendy color if that helps you at all.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Hi Patreesh,
    I have Oyster Vintage and I just love the color. I was drawn to it over the morel because of the warmth of the buttery color.The morel had a bit of a pinkish undertone to me. I also paired it with a hutch done in the rustic maple in a chestnut stain. My granite is Namibian Gold and my backsplash is a tumbled marble in almond beige. My floors are red oak finished in Golden Oak and my wall paint color is BM Oat Straw. Do you know what countertop you want to use? That might help you make a decision. Here's some photos of my kitchen:

{{gwi:1571213}}
    {{gwi:1571214}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{gwi:1587923}}

• mailfox7
    14 years ago

I am a lurker and have never posted before, but have learned so much hanging out. I got excited and came out of the shadow when I heard Moral vs. Oyster. I used the moral with heirloom finish in my kitchen. I liked it because it was more creamy white than the oyster, which seemed to have more yellow than I wanted. I used light oak floors, honed calcutta gold backsplash and a verde lichen quartzite counter top. I used green soapstone on the hutch. Wall paint was BM Fossil. You can see how lighting can affect color.

• nansea
    14 years ago

Marcy96!!
    I love your kitchen. I am about to order cabinets for my renovation and still haven't finalized (in my mind) exactly what I want. I wanted to combine a natural wood and white cabinets and everyone said my kitchen is too small, but it looks like you have done that and it looks lovely from the little bit I can see in the pics.

Now that you've lived with your kitchen for a while, do you still love the mix of white and wood cabs?

My kitch appears to be about the same size as yours and has the same layout, a U, with the refridgerator on the opposite wall surronded by a built-in. What would you think of having the cabinets around the refridgerator in wood? Would that be too much?

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Hi nansea57, thank you for your lovely compliment! I do still love the combination of wood and painted in my kitchen. I wasn't quite sure about the painted cabinets, but knew in my space that I needed something light to open it up, so I made the hutch in wood so I could have both painted and wood. My table is a medium brown oak color with black chairs so it ties into the brown in the hutch. Everyone who's seen it so far loves the combination. You could try the fridge surround in wood and the sink cabinet in wood or if you are getting a wood hood, make that in the wood stain. I think there are a lot of combinations you can use that would look great. Take a look in the finished kitchens blog for some examples. I'll take a couple of pictures of my kitchen table near the hutch so you can see how it all looks. Good luck!

• marcy96
    14 years ago

nansea, here's a few more photos of my kitchen to show you how the wood hutch looks in the space. (it's missing a piece of trim) Good luck with your kitchen!
    la jan - your kitchen is beautiful!

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    14 years ago

Marcy
    Your kitchen is stunning!
    Do you mind if I ask what color paint is on your walls? I really have a hard time with finding paint for my oyster cabs and I am ready for a new color. Is your kitchen the one with BM Oat Straw?

• nansea
    14 years ago

thank you marcy
    i din't mean to hijack this thread, sorry about that. I just got excited when I saw the kitchen I was trying to make!

It's really lovely, thanks for sharing.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the great information and pictures! Marcy and la jan - your kitchens are beautiful. Now I'm really in a quandry. I was thinking of using a Sensa "Tuscany Brown" countertop - as below. I have a sample at home and it's prettier than what you see here. It has very subtle flecks of green, blue and hard-to-desribe salmon/peach color. Really, now that I've seen both of the colors in all their glory, I probably can't go wrong with either one but any more hints/tips would be very much appreciated! Thanks again. cttp://www.sensagranite.com/2006/images/granite/TuscanBrown_400.jpg

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Hi cleo, Thanks!
    Yes, my wall color is BM Oat Straw.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Hi Patreesh, I went back and forth myself between the two colors. I never started out wanting a white kitchen, but my taste changed the more I looked at cabinet samples and the beautiful kitchens on this website. Part of the reason I went with the Oyster was my formal dining room set is almost the exact match in color to Morel Vintage and I thought more of that in the kitchen would be overkill. I also thought the Oyster vintage was a good compromise between white and wood cabinets. Something just drew me to the color. Both colors are neutral but the Oyster gives a more warm neutral while the Morel gives a more cool neutral. Because the oyster has a definite "color" to it (creamy yellow), you may be more limited in your decorating options are far as wall color, backsplash, etc... The morel may give you more color choices such as cool blue or greens for the walls. That being said, I love how my kitchen is just a warm neutral feeling all around and I used different shades of browns, tans, whites and some black to create it. I guess it's all about how you want your kitchen to "feel" when you walk into it. Either way you go, your kitchen will be beautiful. The finish on the painted Medallion cabinets is quite nice and doesn't have that plastic feel to it. Good luck!