Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erika33_gw

Revised: How many inches of granite for overhang on island

erika33
13 years ago

My island measures 24'x44' and I was thinking of having 6' on the sides and 12' on the seating sides. Does that sound right.

The other side where the drawers and doors are will be 2'.

How many inches of granite for overhang on island

A picture of my island in progress...lol is attached.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• melissastar
    13 years ago

12" is skimpy for seating. It will make many folks need to turn sideways to be comfortable. I believe the guidelines call for a 15" minimum overhang on a counter high seating area.

• houseful
    13 years ago

Actually, I thought 12" would not be enough, but that is what we have on our island ends and it's just fine, even for adults. We do have 15 on the long side with a curve.

The 6" on the ends are unnecessary. Just make them 2" like the cabinet side of the island.

• rnest44
    13 years ago

My island has a 12 inch overhang. It's fine for breakfast or hanging out but we use the table for a regular meal. The tallest family member is 5'6". If you want a little extra room you might try what I did on the island ends. It makes a huge difference with the prep sink.

The kitchen is functional but not finished in this pic. The other end has a panel. This end gets a dish towel bar.

• Angela
    13 years ago

We did 14 inches of overhang on our remodel. I think that it's perfect- the old overhang was about 12 inches and we found it uncomfortable to have our knees banging into the island; however I come from a family of amazons (I'm 5'8" and I am the shortest of the adults) so maybe that's just us. :)

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

owls4me, are you saying that the curved ends make a huge difference with the prep sink because...? Or that the curved ends make a huge difference to compensate for the loss of space when using a prep sink on your island, or...(what?)? As you tell, I'm super-interested in this issue and want to know exactly what you meant! lol! Thanks!
    (btw, I like how it looks!)

• Buehl
    13 years ago

The NKBA recommends a minimum of 15" seating overhang for counter-height seating. We have 15" and it's OK for me, but everyone else in my family is now telling me that 18" would have been better...but then, I'm the shortest one in my family (5'10").

If all adults are rather short and your children will be as well (but who knows?), then 12" might be OK, but I highly recommend going with the NKBA recommendation of at least 15".

BTW...the overhangs on the ends only need to be 1.5" or so, not 6"...unless you're trying to add additional counterspace.

• rnest44
    13 years ago

Erika, Evaluate your needs and see what makes the most sense for you. I opted for 12" overhang w/a 42" wide aisle that runs for 3' between the island and desk hutch wall rather than 15" overhang with 39" aisle. That is the major traffic aisle from the utility/mudroom so for my needs (and a short family) that worked best for us.

Jenny1963, I do like how the curve dresses up the island. It also makes a difference with the amount of water that does NOT end up on the floor. I do my major prep work to left of the sink. I thought in Erika's case it would add some length to her island. The hangover is 4.5" at the widest part of the curve. It feels significant when I work.

• erika33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think that I'm going to go with 12" on the seating side which should be enough for us since we are a short family 5'4. On the sides I will do 4" since we also want to use that for seating space.

Btw...Owls4me..love your island.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

When calculating your overhang, remember to include the 1/2" decorative panels or 1" decorative doors on the back of your island or peninsula. So, assuming 24" deep cabinets in the front of the island or peninsula...1.5" + 24" + 0.5" + Seating overhang" = 26" + Seating Overhang"
    1.5" + 24" + 1" + Seating overhang" = 26.5" + Seating Overhang"

So, a 12" seating overhang would mean a 38" or 38.5" deep counter overall.

A 15" seating overhang would mean a 41" or 41.5" deep counter overall.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH