Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water damage below apron front sink?

Posted by htracey (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 6:46

We have had our new cabinets for about a month now, and last night I noticed water damage on the front of the sink base. It looks like water is dripping down the door and a small part of the frame and causing the paint to bubble and lift. Has anybody had this problem? I have some of the paint so I know I can fix the current damage with a fine grit sand paper and a coat of paint, but I am wondering how I can prevent further damage?

We keep an eye on the area after doing dishes (most are done in the dishwasher anyway), and wipe the cabinets regularly, so this damage must have been casued by very small amounts of water. I am surprised to see it after such a short amount of time! I am wondering if there is something not so great about the paint used..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water damage below apron front sink?

More than a few threads on this topic here.

The paint finish does sound like it's an issue. However, some people have reported their sink cabinet doors actually warping after just a few months.

Two things to try. Leave a terry towel draped across the front of the sink to catch splashes. And install a drip rail below the sink on the rail above the door. It needs to be routered underneath, where you can't see it, to interrupt water as it flows over the rail and make it fall to the floor. Most people just use a piece of bullnose trim for the drip rail, although it can be integral to the sink, stained wood or sometimes made of the countertop stone.

o
RE: Water damage below apron front sink?

Drip rail! And definitely look into the warranty on the paint job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here