Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brescianlute

How to safely keep a toaster oven elevated and off the counter?

brescianlute
15 years ago

What would be needed to make it safe to keep my Krups toaster oven off the counter and in some kind of a shelf as shown below?

A couple things I can think of:

------------------ 1) Ventilation

Is a gap of space enough, or would I need to encase a little fan in the cabinet above it?

If I use that cabinet above,

Gap on either side of toaster: 9"

Gap behind toaster: 5"

Gap above toaster: (I can't find this microwave shelf cabinet height measurement online. Need to go to Ikea and measure it. )

------------------ 2) Heat protection

This might sound like I'm being overly cautious, but I would not choose to just put a toaster oven in a cab, even with as much gap space as shown above

To add heat protection, I would either

2a) Tile the inside of the cabinet, with those beautiful little mosaic square tiles. Hopefully the subway tile I choose for the backsplash comes in a "family" and I'd just pick the small square mosaic tile in the exact same color and style.

Edges: Not sure what to do with the edges in the small square tile scenario.

2b) Take granite scraps from the sink cutout and put that inside the cabinet. There would not be enough "scrap" to do this completely I'd guess.

Edges: Have the fabricator do something pretty with the edges.

2c) Not put a "cabinet" in the lower part at all. Instead, simply add a granite "shelf" that is completely open, and bring whatever backsplash I use up behind the shelf. Add the cabinet above the microwave like in the pic.

Edge: Have the fabricator do something pretty with the shelf edge.

From a thermal standpoint 2c) seems it would be just like having it on the counter, only higher and with less space between the toaster and the cabinet above it. But I think there would probably still be ~ 5-6 inches above .

(I need to go to Ikea to measure one to be sure)

Which would you choose? (a, b, c) or

d) ____something different_____

Which do you think would be prettiest and why?

In either a, b, and definitely c, my guess is I'd need to give extra support to that cabinet / shelf.

How could I do that with minimal visible disruption to the backsplash under the shelf?

------------------ 3) Electrical hookups

Electrical outlet would be needed.

Sequencing: I'd have this put in when the electrician there to wire for the undercab and in-upper-glass cabinet lighting, before any cabinets are installed.

Comments (7)

• User
    15 years ago

Heat rises, so the most important clearance will be on top of the toaster oven. I think I'd look at doing something similar to a heat shield that you use next to a built in oven. Heat shields work because they are made of material more conductive of heat than the surounding cabinet and they have a tiny air space with which to dissapate that heat. So, I think that a good 6 inches of clearance above and then use a couple of small spacer blocks to attach a stainless steel sheet to the inside of the top cabinet so that it has a bit of an air space between the stainless sheet and the cabinet. You can always use a bit of trim to hide the gap between the stainless and the cabinet. To keep things looking cohesive, I'd probably line the rest of the cabinet with stainless sheeting as well.

I'd check with the oven manufacturer to find out what clearances they recommend first before doing any of the above.

• Fori
    15 years ago

For appearances, I'd go with the decorative shelf under a stubby cabinet (2c). But of course get the manufacturer's recommendations first.

I don't really like how microwave cabinets stick out so I'd not do it unless my appliance required it.

• brescianlute
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks much Live Wire Oak and Fori! I'm leaning towards option 2c) at this point.

Heat Shields is a great idea if I use a cab! (or bring the upper cab down closer to the toaster) Right now sitting on my counter, the (unshielded) upper cab is 8" away from the toaster oven.

• crnaskater
    15 years ago

A toaster oven gives off a lot more heat than other typical small kitchen appliances, even microwaves. You should read the manufacturer's safety precautions packaged with your Krups.

Noting the wiring and spacing and protective walls, seems like you would be wasting some very valuable space just to get it off the counter.

Depends on how often you use it......I use mine almost everyday, and like my coffee pots, they all stay on the counter.

I would hate to hear you had an unexpected fire and it ruined the cabs and the side of your refrig :)

• teddychicago
    15 years ago

When I was married I received a toaster oven as a gift. Because we had a small kitchen, I ordered the manufacturer's bracket that mounted the toaster oven underneath an upper cabinet. You slid the toaster oven onto this bracket and voila, more counter space. But the top of the toaster oven was nearly against the bottom of the upper. It did get warm but not very hot. I do not recall reading anything about needing specific clearances between the two. After all, it was the manufacturer who made the bracket for its own toaster oven.

I can't recall the brand name right now but it was a really ubiquitous toaster oven. I think my mom had it also. From 2001. Just white with a dial switch for temperature and a rocker switch for toasting.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

I have that same Krups toaster oven and it gets HOT, especially when I do a couple baked potatoes at 425 for an hour! I leave the little tongs it came with on the top of it and they get too hot to handle. Also, won't it be awkward to use, as the door hinged at the bottom will be in your way while putting things in and out, unlike microwaves that open to the side. The ovens that are made to be hung under cabinets have their vents blowing downward.

We put ours diagonally in the corner where it takes up less working space.

-Babka

• alaskangirl
    15 years ago

I have an older black-n-decker toaster oven, which mounts with groves in its sides to the underside of a cabinet with a 'heat guard" mount. I am very much suspecting that they no longer manufacture this style of oven, because I can't seem to easily find a replacement for my very old one. You can still buy the mounts on Amazon, and you might find the compatible oven on ebay or something. It would preclude any under cabinet lighting.