Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommy22qtz

Full overlay kitchen cabinets hinge swing

mommy22qtz
10 years ago

Hi all I am brand new to GW and would love some input. I am in the process of a full kitchen Reno and have decided to go with custom cabinets. I have my heart set on full overlay shaker but the cabinet company says there is a restricted swing to the doors if I choose this style ( which my dh is not ok with) could you please let me know if full overlay framed cabinets can have a hinge with full swing?? Thank you so much!!

Comments (15)

• ajc71
    10 years ago

Not sure I am following by full swing, if you are doing frameless you can go up to a 170 degree hinge...but I have found the standard to be 120 degree

The only reason you would have to go less then that is if you are using a thick door (1"+) then you are restricted to 95 degrees due to the thick door hinge that will be required

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

120ð should be sufficient for accessing any cabinet except a corner bifold that uses a 170ð. It opens enough that the door (or the hardware) will bang the wall and damage it if it's in a 90ð corner, even if you put in a 3" filler. If you are looking to do something like an entertainment cabinet, that gets specialty hinges, but you don't need them on all of your kitchen cabinets.

I think some clarification is needed to better answer the question.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

But the OP's question was about the hinge for full overlay on a framed cabinet.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I have full overlay shaker framed cabinets. Based on the photo above my doors open slightly less than that. No issues at all with access to the cabinets.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Once it's open and you can access everything in the cabinet, what's the point of what you're calling a full swing? I have some full overlay Shaker cabinets and they open wide enough for me to get everything in and out without restriction. I would be frustrated if they had a "full swing" and swung open to whack the door next to it with the knob.

Take your DH to a showroom to look at cabinets and the available hinges.
    Wait until he gets into the drawers vs. reach-in base cabinets. He'll forget about this (silly) thing.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

120ð is 120ð. How the hinge attaches to the cabinets isn't important to the discussion. Only the degree of opening.

• mommy22qtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your comments. As I understand what your saying ( and clarifying my question) standard hinges on doors with a framed, full overlay would be 120 degrees? The reason I ask is I have children and I fear they will try to open the cabinets beyond their capability and eventually break them? Is it possible , other than perhaps a corner unit where you would not want more, to have a swing beyond 120 degrees?

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

That's a once and done and won't sit down for a week issue, not a cabinet construction issue. Billions of people have kids that don't regularly swing on cabinet doors and break them. Yours can join their ranks instead of the hellion ones.

• mommy22qtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. Um I'm not talking about swinging on the doors. We have cabinets that fully open right now and it is what we are all used to. I am not looking for parenting advice. I am interested in whether there are hinges that open wider than 120 degrees for a full overlay door. But thanks anyway for your input Hollysprings.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Do you current cabinet doors hit the other doors?

Just show your kids and anyone else in your family how the doors work. I had to show everyone how to close the doors and drawer with soft close and how to close the corner easy reach cabinets.

I can't imagine anyone pushing hard against the door after it hits the full open position.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

For standard face frame, full overlay applications Blum offers 105, 107, 110 degree; grass offers 108

To use a wider (170) opening you have to use a euro style hinge- simply using that on a face frame is NOT recommended.
    You would have to notch the face frame to accommodate the hinge- which would be mounted to the side of the cabinet instead of to the face frame.
    OR switch to frameless
    OR change the overlay and the hinge.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"That's a once and done and won't sit down for a week issue, not a cabinet construction issue. Billions of people have kids that don't regularly swing on cabinet doors and break them. Yours can join their ranks instead of the hellion ones."

hollysprings:

You give so much good advice so often that I don't even bore readers with my agreeing with it constantly, but this time I must make an exception. Well said. Again.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

My bathroom cabinets are full overlay, framed. I have no idea if they are Blum. It is a Brookhaven hinge.

They open not quite as far as LWO's picture, but certainly far enough for any kitchen application.

I can't imagine that you can't use full overlay, framed cabinets in your kitchen.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

red lovwers pick is of a euro style hinge with the framed notched to accept it. Standard for BH