Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

42 inch casement window over sink and also retractable screens

olivertwistkitchen
11 years ago

Looking for a 42" wide window to go over the sink.
I was thinking casement window would be easiest to open.
I don't want double-hung (too hard to open there), and I don't want double casements because I don't like the bar in the middle that will separate them.

I am having trouble determining if anyone actually makes a casement window quite that wide. Anyone know?

Or if no casement window exists that large, should I look at other styles? DH said he didn't like awning, but not sure why.

Also, I think the screen on the inside may make me crazy. I know a few here have the Marvin retractable screens. Thoughts on those screens?

Comments (18)

• dljmth
    11 years ago

We just installed Eagle 40" casements although not over a window. After size 36" they have to use a piano hinge on the exterior. At first I didn't think that would look right but it really isn't even noticeable as these are a triple casement - effectively a 10' window so your eye is on the glass. This window is in the back corner of the house anyway. I didn't like the Eagle retractable screens as they require a header that takes away from the glass space. Marvin's are much nicer but out of our price range. We did upgrade to the Eagle "tru screen" though.

• dljmth
    11 years ago

Note - I think Marvin makes a large casement without the piano hinge.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Our kitchen casement window (Windsor Pinnacle series) is only 32", but I'll comment on the retractable screen. It's wonderful! The housing for it does block some window space at the top, but it doesn't bother me. So worth that to have an unobstructed, clear view in the rest of the window when the screen is up.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

We used a 55" outswing French casement from Marvin. It is a two-piece window, but the "French" means that there is no permanent stile in the middle. (Obviously, there is a post there when the window is closed.)

From their catalog: Wood French Casement units feature two (2) sashes, that when open there is no mull post in the middle.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Oh, another thing or two. Marvin makes their one-sash casement windows up to 40" as a standard piece. Also, our size was custom, and it really did not cost any more than a standard size.

• johnkir
    11 years ago

This sounds like just the situation our glider windows is made for.

http://www.marvin.com/windows/sliding-windows/

John Kirchner
    Marvin Windows and Doors

Here is a link that might be useful: Marvin's Ultimate Glider Window

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought about a sliding window, but I really don't want to see the lines at all.

So what are my options if I don't want to see the lines (just one big pane) AND I don't want a screen on the inside AND I don't want a casement? I don't want a picture window - it has to be open at least somewhat.

• liveinseattle
    11 years ago

to Angie_DIY, could you please tell me the cost of your window. I am in the market for windows too, and I really like Marvin windows. My kitchen window is 60" wide and it sits on the counter right now. Really like french casement window idea. Do you have any pictures? thank you for sharing

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Hi, Seattle,

It cost about $1300 from Marvin (not including installation). Here is a photo:

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

So what are my options if I don't want to see the lines (just one big pane) AND I don't want a screen on the inside AND I don't want a casement? I don't want a picture window - it has to be open at least somewhat

That was exactly my predicament when choosing my three kitchen windows. I hate interior screens and didn't want my windows cut in half by the framing. For the 24" windows flanking the range, I ended up choosing picture windows that do not open. They are very pretty, squeeze out every bit of room for glass, and have nice open, clean lines. For my 6' window over the cleanup sink, I choose a triple pane window with a fixed panel middle and sideways sliding smaller panels on the side. Not ideal but better than most options. My old kitchen had a 45" window that slide sideways.

In short, you're going to have to compromise something from your wish/want list. Sucks. Although, there is the casement in-swinging option. But then you have the window opening into your faucet.

This post was edited by breezygirl on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 19:32

• bardzil
    6 years ago

I'm looking for a 42" wide single casement window for my kitchen. Did anyone on this thread ever find one? I think Anderson A series makes this. Is it possible to order one custom from Marvin?

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

Bardzil...we just installed a 3'4" wide Marvin casement window in a new boathouse we are building. Really pretty

• bardzil
    6 years ago

ILoveRed - do you know if you can order a Marvin casement in 42" or 44"? I really need at least 42". I'm hoping they can at least custom order. Its strange if they don't because Anderson A Series offers up to 48" wide casements. However, I was going to go with Marvins.

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

I'm sorry but I do not know. This is the size the architect specd for our project.

but you can get a Marvin book or stop by a Marvin supplier and easily find out. I wonder if those sizes are online. I will check if I have time later.

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

Here's a link. It looks like just 3'4" for the single casement in Marvin. I'm sure there must be a reason. Maybe any wider would not operate as well.

http://www.marvin.com/WebDoc/Clad%20Ultimate%20Casement%20Push%20Out%20Casement%20Elevations.pdf

• Jade BR
    6 years ago

Bardzil - why Marvin over Anderson? Just curious because I am in the market for new windows as well...

• bardzil
    6 years ago

Per the link below, it looks like the wood casement goes to 3' 7 5/8 ". However, the weird thing is that the website says the casements go up to 44"x91 1/8". But I don't see this in the info. We called a bunch of window distributors today and most weren't knowledgeable about this, but we found one guy who said he could definitely order Marvin casements up to 44" wide. Anyway, we are going to just go forward under that assumption and design the window at either 42" or 44" based on what looks best. As for making a decision between Marvin and Anderson, I've heard Marvin casements and sliding French doors are a little better quality than Anderson (and we have about 15 casements of various sizes and 2 large sliding French doors in our plans). Not sure what we'll end up going with as we don't have bids yet.

http://www.marvin.com/WebDoc/Wood%20Ultimate%20Casement%20Push%20Out%20Casement%20Elevations.pdf