Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maymester

Help pick a slide-in, need quick decision

maymester
14 years ago

I posted this on the Appliance forum and now thought I'd put this out here for some guidance. Sears is having a sale (ends Mon. and I have to choose between a Kenmore gas slide-in with a convection oven ( the salesman says its a steal at $1,275.), or a GE 30" slide-in ( model JGSP28SENSS) which is $1056. I like the looks of the GE better ( my husband thinks I am crazy, says they all look the same!) Do any of you have one or the other and is a convection oven really that wonderful?

Comments (10)

• dan1888
    14 years ago

Sale schmale. The GE is the same price on the best buy site and Sears offers real sale prices periodically that will get you a better price on their units. Convection is faster. GE maximum burner power 12k btu, Sears 14.2k, Sears Elite 17,2k Blue Star 22k. $1000 for the elite is an ok deal.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

No advice on the range but I will say I don't use convection all that often. I could easily live without it.

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

Who makes the kenmore?

I have a new Kitchenaid slide-in and I wish I'd gone with the GE cafe. I thought the GE cafe was too expensive, but in hindsight, I would have been happier. The kitchenaid is annoying because it pops loudly every few minutes -turning the gas on and off....

Is the convection dual fuel or just gas?

I have convection in my new range and I really like it. It does cook certain foods more evenly.

• maymester
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all, looks like a convection oven it is!

• julieofminn
    14 years ago

I'm also watching for a new 30 inch electric convection oven to replace my 14+ year Kitchen Aid convection oven that has served me well w/o trouble.

As part of a remodel we replaced the refrigerator a month ago (after having our surrounding cabinets rebuilt to accommodate the taller, wider models) and more recently had a KA dishwasher installed. Both are operating as well as, if not better, than advertised. They are extremely quiet appliances compared to the ones they replaced.

So, why not a KA stove and microwave? Well, the quality of the fittings, sharp edges on the bottom drawer/oven and even the light weight oven door, seem to lack the quality of my old model. Anyone care to comment on these newer KA ranges?

I wonder how many have cut fingers from the rough metal edges on nearly ever brand stove out there!

I like the Electrolux features and have checked several area stores to see the GEs and can't believe 5 different home improvement and electronics type centers that carry their brand did not have a model on display but asked me to sit down and look at a computer to see GEs higher end products. Guess it's due to the housing slowdown near me.

My next step is to go to a local dealer as I did to buy my KA appliances. At least then you get service if you run into any problems!

So if anyone reading this post has experience with the Electrolux, GE or Kitchen Aid stoves please add your comments.

My cooking includes the large holiday meals, everyday cooking that includes baked breads and anything one can do with a range.

(I'll check out the appliance forum too.)

Thanks so much!

• billp1
    14 years ago

We went with a GE Cafe CGS980SEMSS 30 inch slide in Gas Range.
    Liked that it had two ovens the bottom being small but good for smaller items. It is also has self clean and one 17,000 BTU Power burner for a total of five burners and convection oven.

It works for our needs.

• cflaherty
    14 years ago

have you used the Griddle of the GE Cafe? if so what do you think of it?

• susie1010
    14 years ago

We have the Electrolux glass top 30" slide in range. The burners heat up very quickly and the top oven has many choices with both convection and regular baking/rating such as dehydrate, perfect turkey, bread proof, defrost, etc. The bottom is a second oven, warming drawer or storage. The digital controls are flat glass in the front. There are a lot of other good features. On the other hand, it is very contemporary looking, sticks out a little more in to the kitchen, and I am not crazy about the way it is finished on the sides. I would recommend a 2" filler on each side of the oven. Our drawers and doors had to be moved over slightly so they would not interfere with the oven door.

• gwentm
    14 years ago

Susie, I'm going to look at this today. What is your opinion about the metal strip between the cooktop and the controls? Would you purchase this model again after your experience with it so far?

• billp1
    14 years ago

Yes we have used the griddle a few times. Used it for breakfast making french toast. Works fine. More a gimmick for me as I am just as happy with our extra large iron skillet.

We were considering a Wolf oven but the GE had all we would use on a daily basis so we decided to spend our money on other items in the kitchen.