Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selena2010

Over the fridge cabinet options

selena2010
14 years ago

I just had the over the fridge cabinet installed. It is 13 inches tall, 30 inches wide, 23.5 inches deep. The distance between the bottom cabinet and the top of the fridge is 3.5 inches. I really would like to use that space rather than closing it. I am not a wine drinker, so no wine glass storage idea please. I do not like to make it an open shelf either. I like the finished look. I would like to make it a long and narrow drawer-the contractor did not like the idea for the look. Do you think it is going to look OK with the drawer under the cabinet? Could someone help? any new ideas please.

Comments (7)

• cleo07
    14 years ago

I don't think a drawer over your head is very functional and by the time you build the box, there will not be very much depth either. I have the same space but I have a long tray basket in it for now.

I have plans to put a piano hinge on molding so the molding can flip up and the space can be used for large tray storage. I know people on this site have done this and you can not tell that there is a hinge there. I am going to do the same to hide a flip down TV mount once I run the cable. Maybe someone will post a picture.

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

For what will you use the drawer? I guess you'd have to use a chair to get stuff out of it if it was a cabinet, too, so it kind of makes sense to me, but will be harder to tell what's in there and get it out.
    Lisa

• zelmar
    14 years ago

I think someone on this forum put a clear bottom on a pull out above a fridge so that the contents could be seen from underneath. It may have been a pull out in the fridge cabinet but it seems it would work well for the space you are describing. You could make the pull out front look like part of the cabinet and have some sort of integrated way to open it (i.e a notched out spot underneath instead of a handle.)

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

What about dividing it into two or three spaces and putting good quality shallow baskets there?

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

If you did the piano-hinge flip up, you could always store wraps and foils in there. We had our wraps and foils stuck on top of the fridge during the reno, and I found I actually liked them up there. They're not there now, but it's an idea.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

What about a loose 'drawer' that is actually a tray, unconnected with the upper unit and just sits on the top of the refrigerator, still allowing hot air circulation between the tray and the uppercupboard. It could hold oddball items OR put fingerholes on the left and right ends and use for tray that is heading to the deck or yard: napkins, salt &pepper, vinegar, etc. In my old kitchen, the cupboard above the refrigerator held flower arranging material; I would have used the pull-out tray for pinholders, wire, scissors, pebbles, other little stuff.

• function_first
    14 years ago

If the items were seldom used, you could do the drawer, I decided to borrow other's ideas here and had my DH install a piano hinge and ball catches to make the space accessible for storage of stuff (e.g. placemats, platters..) that really wouldn't fit anywhere else. It's on my top 10 favorite things about the new kitchen list for sure -- very happy with it.