Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenconfidential2

The best way to clean....

Does anyone know if there is one place where the best kitchen cleaning tips can be found?

Cleaning granite

Cleaning marble

Cleaning SS

Cleaning glass oven top

Cleaning wood floors

Cleaning brushed nickel

Comments (67)

• night_jasmine
    14 years ago

How to clean painted cabinets?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Sorry Night_Jasmine, I don't know...I'm hoping someone will chime in...

• nancyaustin
    14 years ago

buehl, looks like you are amassing the information for another of your wonderful "read me if you are new to GW" collections of helpful information. Keep going!

Let me ask, how to clean stained cabinets?

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

How about porcelain and porcelain over cast iron sinks? And toilets? Is it true regular kitchen cleansers like Comet should not be used? Is Soft Scrub really better?

Regarding the Murphy's oil, I had never read what buehl said, though on another recent thread I read that Murphy's oil soap is okay on oil but not water based finishes.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Comet can scratch. It's very abrasive. I've had the feeling that Murphy's makes at least some finishes gummy.

Painted cabinets painted with real paint, I can tell you (soapy water, not too wet, soft sponge, not too wet, not too wet). 409 used to be okay on paint for bad marks--it didn't remove the paint like "natural" products will. I don't know any of this holds for new fangled miracle paints. My only painted cabinets are in my dressing area and just need occasional dusting. I'd try a soft, wet (not too wet) sponge first, on painted cabinets, and try a little mild dish soap after that. If that's not enough, test on a corner of the inside of a door where no one will see if there's a problem if you try anything else. Wait until it's good and dry (at least a day) before deciding if it changed the cabinets.

At my first and only big corporation job, the subsidiary president wanted to impress the overlords. There was a staircase up to the corp. offices with white walls on either side. One morning I came in and they were all streaky. The pres. had played connect the dots with the scuffs, spots and fingerprints, using glossy paint! Be careful what you use on painted cabinets so that if you spot clean you don't get that same effect!

Oh! And ask the manufacturer!

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

How about crystal? I think I remember reading rubbing alcohol and water (for something really grubby like you might acquire at an antique store or auction.) Any thoughts on this one?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Night_Jasmine, I found a thread on the Cleaning Forum that briefly talks about cleaning painted cabinets. How correct it is, I don't know...perhaps this will generate some responses!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: How to clean painted kitchen cabinets (Cleaning Forum)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Countertops

• Granite & Quartz: Microfiber cloth along with one of the following...

• 50/50 mix of alcohol & water

• Hand dish detergent & water (go light on the detergent if your stone is dark)

• "Method" granite cleaner & polish

• "Perfect Kitchen" (sold at BB&B)

• When cleaning, wipe/dry in circles to help prevent streaks with any cleaner/polish

• **Warning** Don't use plumber's putty on your marble or granite counters to install your faucets or soap dispensers or with a composite granite (e.g., Silgranit) sink

Question: Do those of you with marble use the alcohol/water mix, detergent/water mix, Method, or Perfect Kitchen? Wood:

Stainless Steel, Copper, etc.: Microfiber cloth along with one of the following...

Appliances

• Stainless Steel Appliances: Microfiber cloth along with one of the following...

• Weiman SS Cleaner/Polish in the silver can

• Pledge in the brown can

• 3M SS Cleaner and Polish (aerosol spray)

Ceramic/Glass cooktops/ranges:

• Ceramic/glass oven surface cleaner

• Razor blade for stuck-on food

Non-Ceramic/Glass top ranges/cooktops:

• BarKeeper's Friend or Dawn Power Dissolver (and a blue scrub sponge) for a thorough cleaning of the black burner pans

• "Perfect Kitchen" for spot cleaning the black enamel burner pans on Wolf ranges

Floors & Backsplashes (Wood, Tile, etc.)

• Tile Floors & Backsplashes:

• Hot water should be all you need for most of the time.

• If you need a grease-cutter, use Oxyclean.

• Do not use vinegar or vinegar-containing products. Yes, vinegar will clean your grout, but that's because vinegar works by eating away at the grout, little by little. It'll literally burn the grout away over time.

Hardwood Floors:

• Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner

Slate Floors:

Slate Backsplashes:

Cabinets

• Stained Cabinets:

• A soft cotton cloth is recommended to wipe any moisture, spills or standing liquid from cabinetry. While paper products are very good at absorbing spills, they are abrasive when used for cleaning.

• To clean cabinetry, use a soft cotton cloth, dampened with water or a mild dish soap

• If dish soap used, wipe with a clean damp cloth to rinse

• Dry with soft cloth

• Harsh chemicals or ammonia based products should be avoided as they may cause discoloration of the finish.

• Do not use detergents, oily polishes, or glass cleaners.

• An occasional light waxing may be required. Avoid frequent cleaning with a waxy cleaner. Use a good furniture brand polish on your cabinetry

Painted Cabinets:

• Damp (not too wet), soft cloth or sponge and mild detergent

Laminate Cabinets:

• Use a damp cloth and water to clean surface of cabinetry, then wipe with a dry cloth.

• Use a countertop or tile cleaner to clean heavy grease stains or other difficult stains.

• Do not use abrasive pads or harsh cleaners to clean soiled areas.

High Gloss Cabinet Finishes:

• Clean high gloss cabinetry with mild soap and a damp cloth.
  • dcwesley
    14 years ago

I think I have read here several times that using plumber's putty with a silgranit sink install wlll stain the sink. I suppose it is really not a "cleaning" issue - but it seems like it would fit in this guide.

I have been saving notes I have found on travertine floors -

Acid based liquids such as wine and fruit juices rich in vitamin C can score the travertine's surface if left to stand after spilling. In such an instance rub the area with fine grade emery paper and then have it resealed.

* DON'T use vinegar or others acid cleaners on stone floors
    * DON'T use cleaners like bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners, or tub & tile cleaners (they may contain acid)
    * DON'T use abrasive cleaners

To clean the floor, use a clean mop and bucket or a microfiber flat mop, which is best. Use a neutral cleaner or stone soap (available from a stone dealer). Do not use too much cleaner or you will have steaks.

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

On Thursday, February 11,2010 the New York Times had a small article in their home section called "Cleaning - Good Chemistry for Some Household Sprays," which I thought everyone might find informative. Apparently Martha Stewart has a line of products without fragrance or artificial colors which is sold on amazon, Home Depot and Giant Eagle stores. There is another company call Seventh Generation that makes nontoxic cleaners as well. Googling might enable finding the article most easily. The Times' search engine is pretty lousy.

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Buehl, thanks again for doing so much work on this post.

• hsw_sc
    14 years ago

Baking soda and a damp cloth will clean enameled cooktops. When I get burn marks on my white gas stovetop, I dampen the area with my cloth, sprinkle the BS on the stains, let sit for 5 or 10 minutes then gently wipe the baking soda and stains clean with the cloth.

I read this month in BH&G (one of the specialty editions for kitchens and baths) that Bona wood floor cleaner is great for cleaning stainless appliances, though I haven't tried that yet.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Can I ask my question again... is the Bona for all HW floors regardless of finish? Or is there one for oiled floors, one for polyurethane?

dcwesley, some of us like steaks! ; ) (That "r" is pesky and lazy; when you have a typo, you can be sure it will turn up missing -- just be careful when asking a question about pantries!)

• dcwesley
    14 years ago

Steaks - Ha - I did not notce - what I get for doing a copy and paste I suppose.

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

bump

• morton5
    14 years ago

I like to keep things simple and efficient when I clean. I put a TB or two of Simple Green in a 32 oz. spray bottle and fill with water. I spray the kitchen and wipe and dry the whole thing with a dishtowel. This works on granite, cabinets, oven fronts, stainless, wood floors, hardware, walls, doors and light switches. Occasionally I polish the stainless and cabinets with Pledge to keep the fingerprints down. I use the same spray and a Schmop for the floors, but once in a while I'll spray with a vinegar/water mix instead of the Simple Green. For the stainless sinks, I clean with a brush and dishsoap, and occasionally go over the BKF.

If I had a dozen different cleaning products, I don't think I would trust my kids to use them correctly. I also value the economy of the Simple Green. In bathrooms, I use a TB or two of Mr. Clean in a spray bottle.

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found some information on cleaning marble:

Because of the composition of the stone, it is a good idea to clean marble surfaces immediately after any spills take place. While water will not cause any permanent damage, many other liquids will cause scarring if allowed to set for an extended amount of time. Soft drinks, wine, any type of vinegar, and even orange or grapefruit juice can discolor the appearance. Immediately, wipe up the spill with a damp cloth, then rinse the area with tepid water. Be sure to pat the area dry with a clean cloth.
    Â Many types of cleansers recommended for use with other types of materials should not be used to clean marble. Abrasive cleansers should be avoided at all costs, as they will leave scratches in the surface. If you have to deal with a tough stain, try using plain ammonia. Allow the ammonia to set on the dried stain for a few moments, then begin to scrub the area with a moistened cloth. Once the stain is up, wet the area with tepid water, then pat the section of the marble counter top dry.
    Â With dried stains on the floor, create a solution of plain ammonia and warm water. Use a sponge mop to work the solution into the stain and gradually lift it from the marble. Take your time and allow the ammonia to seep into the stain. Doing so will mean less pressure applied to the mop, which will minimize the chances of accidentally scratching the surface as you clean marble tiles or panels.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I've used Sheila Shine on my stainless, love it, it works great. But I've also "discovered" soapy water followed by a microfiber cloth does the the trick too. I wash my range each night with soapy water and dry it as I go from section to section, it looks great--no streaking. The only place that is a challenge for me on the ss fridge is right behind the handle--it is much easier to grab the door when closing than the handle.

Also, WD-40 works to get tough stuff off of stainless too. Not too great smelling, but you just spray a little on a microfiber cloth, wipe, and buff with a dry one. Looks new.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Countertops

• Granite & Quartz: Microfiber cloth along with one of the following...

• In a spray bottle50/50 put a mix of alcohol & water plus a drop or two of detergent like Dawn.

• Hand dish detergent & water (go light on the detergent if your stone is dark)

• Commercial products: Method granite cleaner & polish, Perfect Kitchen, Simple Green

• When cleaning, wipe/dry in circles to help prevent streaks with any cleaner/polish

• **Warning** Do not use plumber's putty on your marble or granite counters to install your faucets or soap dispensers or with a composite granite (e.g., Silgranit) sink

Question: Do those of you with marble use the alcohol/water mix, detergent/water mix, Method, or Perfect Kitchen? Marble:

• Because of the composition of the stone, it is a good idea to clean marble surfaces immediately after any spills take place. While water will not cause any permanent damage, many other liquids will cause scarring if allowed to set for an extended amount of time. Soft drinks, wine, any type of vinegar, and even orange or grapefruit juice can discolor the appearance.

• Immediately, wipe up the spill with a damp cloth, then rinse the area with tepid water. Be sure to pat the area dry with a clean cloth.

• If you have to deal with a tough stain, try using plain ammonia. Allow the ammonia to set on the dried stain for a few moments, then begin to scrub the area with a moistened cloth. Once the stain is up, wet the area with tepid water, then pat the section of the marble counter top dry.

• Abrasive cleansers should be avoided at all costs, as they will leave scratches in the surface.

Wood:

Stainless Steel, Copper, etc.: Microfiber cloth along with one of the following...

Appliances

• Stainless Steel Appliances: Microfiber cloth along with one of the following...

• Weiman SS Cleaner/Polish in the silver can

• Pledge in the brown can

• 3M SS Cleaner and Polish (aerosol spray)

• Possibly: Signature Polish (I have not heard of this b/f & would like to hear from others who have used it...I like to have multiple recommendations b/f I will say "definitely)

Ceramic/Glass cooktops/ranges:

• Ceramic/glass oven surface cleaner

• Razor blade for stuck-on food

Non-Ceramic/Glass top ranges/cooktops:

• BarKeeper's Friend or Dawn Power Dissolver (and a blue scrub sponge) for a thorough cleaning of the black burner pans

• Perfect Kitchen for spot cleaning the black enamel burner pans on Wolf ranges

• Baking soda and a damp cloth. Dampen the area with the cloth, sprinkle the baking soda on the stains, & let sit for 5 or 10 minutes. Then gently wipe the baking soda and stains clean with the cloth

Floors & Backsplashes (Wood, Tile, etc.)

• Tile Floors & Backsplashes:

• Hot water should be all you need for most of the time.

• If you need a grease-cutter, use Oxyclean.

• **Warning** Do not use vinegar or vinegar-containing products. Yes, vinegar will clean your grout, but that's because...

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

bump

• crozzroad
    14 years ago

Is the Perfect Kitchen' listed above called Hope's Perfect 22-Ounce Granite Cleaning Spray ? I found one with this name in the BB&B website. Just wanted to make sure

Thanks !

• tyjy
    14 years ago

About a year ago someone wrote an excellent description how to clean kitchen cabinets using "Orange Glo Wood Furniture". There was photo's of before and after.

I followed that procedure for 20-year-old cabinets and WOW it really worked! I've been a convert ever since and keep Orange Glo handy to revitalize window sills, faded woodwork, etc. (Anyone remember who that was? or what the Subject posted was?? Shoot, sorry I didn't keep it)

• tyjy
    14 years ago

Oops: s/h/b "Orange GLO Wood Furniture 2-in-1 Clean & Polish"

• spammypam
    14 years ago

I use dry laundry detergent moistened to a paste to clean SS sinks. Discovered this when handwashing a sweater in the sink and had run out of Woolite. It really makes the sink shine and I assume it is less apt to scratch the sink than a comet type product.

• mthouse
    14 years ago

Could you please add how to clean cork floors to your list? Does anyone have any great suggestions? Ours is the click together kind and was just recently installed. I purchased some specific cleaner from the manufacturer but it requires me special ordering it and it seems expensive to use for daily cleaning. Any input from cork floor owners with experience?

• jterrilynn
    14 years ago

For tile floors, laminate floors, all painted surfaces, bathroom surfaces, walls and most areas I use diluted Armstrong floor cleaner put in an old Windex bottle as it requires no rinsing. For all stainless, metal knobs, wood furniture, kitchen taps and stainless sinks I use Favor High Shine with lemon smell as it requires no rinsing. For dusting I use a Swifter Duster and everything else gets Windex. Oh, and bleach for the toilet and a few miscellaneous bathroom cleaners. Pretty much though, I like to run through the house with a roll of paper towels plus swifter in one hand and Armstrong and Favor under an arm.

• petepie1
    14 years ago

I had pretty good results with the orange glo 4 in 1 hardwood floor cleaner on some old parquet wood floors. They really need a screen and poly coating, but this seemed to work well to "hide" some of the scratched/scuffed/thin/worn areas and brought back the shine for several days. I'm too afraid to use it on my brand new floors though -- I'll probably use Bona on them (have a Bona traffic finish).

• petepie1
    14 years ago

Forgot to add that I second tyjy's recommendation for Organe Glo 2 in 1 for old wood cabinets -- it really improved the look of some 30 year old cabinets in my prior house -- and would last for a few months or so before needing another treatment. Way too slippery for floors -- but see above post, I've used their 4 in 1 floor cleaner/polisher and been very happy with that too.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

i'm not fan of martha stewart. her recipes are not tested throughly and she's just not nice. that said, i have found this book to be extremely useful and it will sit prominently, ready for service in my new kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: martha doesn't do it but tells you how

• francoise47
    14 years ago

bump

• User
    14 years ago

I have acrylic-impregnated engineered hardwood flooring in my kitchen. I found a solution on the web and have been using it with great streak-free results:

1 gallon warm water
    1/2 c white vinegar
    1/2 c alcohol

This also works great on my glass doors and windows.

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

Can you add slate countertops please? I will most likely choose this material since my 2 granite choices are way over budget. It would be nice to have users confirm that they will not be high maintenance (as stated by the sales person).
    Thank you

• kelvar
    14 years ago

Love this thread.

Where do you find Bona to clean hardwood floors?

• ttosh
    14 years ago

Besides soap and water what is the best way to clean silgranit sinks?

I bought Bona on Amazon but I've seen it other places online as well as my Benjamin Moore paint shop.

• petepie1
    14 years ago

They carry Bona at my Safeway. In the aisle with the pledge and other wood cleaners.

• eks6426
    14 years ago

Ok, why no plumber's putty? What do you use instead? We are getting granite this week and hubby will be installing faucets and such.

• kristine_2009
    14 years ago

Use clear silicone to install your faucets if you have a silgranit sink. Plumbers putty will stain the sink.

• karin_2015
    13 years ago

Bona is also sold at Bed Bath and Beyond...presumably in the "Beyond" section.
    Dont forget your 20% off coupon!

• lauriec
    13 years ago

hi, how about soapstone counters on the list..

• lindalp
    13 years ago

bump

• azwildcats70
    13 years ago

Any ideas on brick floors?

• eandhl
    13 years ago

On oil finish floors (no resin) you can use Murphy oil soap/water or white vinegar/water.

• swspitfire
    13 years ago

clean bump

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Re. Murphy's Oil Soap: For polyeurethaned hardwood floors you should NOT use Murphy's Oil Soap. The company I use for screen-and-coat touch-ups specifically asked if I had used Murphy's because evidently if it has been used the screen-and-coat won't finish properly. They say to only use vinegar and warm water and a mop or cloth wrung until almost dry. I have no idea if this applies to engineered hardwoods. HTH.

• lucretzia
    13 years ago

What about soapstone? My installer said just hot water and to wait till it is dry to apply mineral oil. My kitchen is not finished, so I have not cleaned yet.

Sounds dumb, but what about windows and mirrors? My aunts taught me to use newspaper to avoid streaking.

• mailfox7
    13 years ago

Anyone have a way to clean the inside of the glass oven window?

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Hi, I use a 'scrunge' to clean my ceramic stovetop. It works great without any chemicals. It's very rough on one side, but doesn't scratch even when I scrub cooked on food (two teenagers).

I know this has been around a long time, but I thought I'd add it anyways - newspaper and a vinegar/water mix still works best on windows/mirrors/other glass.

~Missy

Here is a link that might be useful: vileda scrunge

• leela4
    13 years ago

Old thread but I'd like to bump it up for silgranit sinks and soapstone countertops.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

just stumbled across this thread looking for granite and stainless sink suggestions. fun thread!