Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tpns28_gw

Countertop help, 2cm edge can it be built to a 4cm?

Tpns28
11 years ago

Countertop needs help! I just bought a house and the builder installed a 3/4'' edge instead of a 1.5" edge, so now the countertop (dupont quartz) looks thin and cheap. Is there anything I can do now after the fact to make it look better or thicker? Can I glue the same material to the bottom of the surface to make it have the illusion of thickness? Or is there anything I can do to convert the 3/4'' edge to a 1/5''edge?

Comments (5)

• realism
    11 years ago

I don't think it looks thin and cheap. Regardless why don't you take this up with the builder? If they didn't do what you asked then you are entitled to have it corrected.

• Tpns28
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks thin on the counter sides since you can see the bottom support. I'm in the process with disputing it with the builder, supposed to close in 2 weeks so I'm looking for options in the event they say no. Still searching if there's any other solutions or tricks I can do to make it look a little thicker. This is how I wanted it to look like, I like the thicker version since it hides the support a little bit and the piece of wood it sits on.

This post was edited by Tpns28 on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 0:31

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

The counter you're showing in your second picture has a mitered edge I think. (Basically they cut the counter and the edge piece at a 45 degree angle and glue them together). I'm pretty sure it's too late to do that to your counter (it's a pretty complicated thing I think and not all fabricators do it anyway.) it is also a significant up charge so I would never assume that's how it would be done unless discussed specifically in advance.

I am no counter expert, but you may still have the option of adding a piece around the perimeter (depending on the overhang) to thicken it up. You will get a line through the middle though. It shouldn't be as noticeable on quartz as it is on some natural stones but it will still be there. What I don't know is if that's something that can be done after it is installed.

Another option might be to pull back the trim piece a little so it's not so noticeable.

Really you just need to do as suggested above and meet with the builder to find out what can be done. You may be SOL unless you're willing to spring for new counter (and if that's the case maybe you can just get the thicker edge on the island to save money).

By the way, 2cm counters are not at all uncommon and many people (especially in Europe and Australia) actually prefer them. That doesn't matter if you don't like them, but I don't think anyone would walk into your home and think it looks bad.

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

FWIW, I really prefer the sleek look of the thinner counter tops. No way do your counters look 'thin & cheap' to my eye!

When I see thick (or thick looking) stone counters, I get awful visions of the floor joists bowing underneath all that weight!

The other thing about the 1.5'' edge is that the thickness reminds me of Formica counters...and I'm not a stone snob by any means. I'll almost surely use plastic laminate for my counters but, all along, I've planned to make them .75-1.0'' thick just because I prefer that look.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    11 years ago

There is a relatively simple fix. The quartz material can be cut into strips with a profile on it. Those pieces can be attached below the current top, setting the new piece about 1/8" behind the top piece. I did a quick sketch to illustrate what I am suggesting. (Dino Rachiele) If you have further questions, you can email me at Dino@Rachiele.com

Here is a link that might be useful: