Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fusion quartzite chipping

Posted by shleg (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 4:26

I am an interior designer and have recently installed a very expensive quartzite kitchen countertop called fusion. Its green and has lots of movement. My problem is that it keeps chipping everywhere and I don't know what to do. I have installed the red fusion at another home and I am not having this issue Can anyone out there tell me why this is happening and what can be done? I thought this material was supposed to be hard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fusion quartzite chipping

Hard doesn't mean "durable" Hard means brittle. Like glass. It's hard, but it can break easily. It has much less "give" to it. That means that it can shatter worse with small impacts. Impregnating the slab with resin is done sometimes on stone like this in order to help it "bind" together better, but that has to be done before fabrication. After fabrication, the chips can be repaired with resin, but you're not getting resin down in to the pores under pressure.

o
RE: Fusion quartzite chipping

Are the edge profiles the same on the 2 jobs? On easily chipped stone an edge detail with a moderately large radius (like 3/8" or more) is needed. A flat edge with only a slight bevel at the top or an edge like Ogee with the sharp edge on top will get shipped easily.

if the edge profile is the problem you have reason to be unhappy with your fabricator. As your stone resource it is their job to advise you of such considerations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here