http://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Ranges/Electric-Range/FFES3005LW/
with

http://www.us-appliance.com/nit3065uc.html
(Dimensions of 31'' x 21 1/4'')

My current Granite Cutout is:
Width of 20.5" X 29.7 Length
*Not a Square - the front is opened

http://site.us-appliance.com/pdfs/NITINSTALL.pdf

Installation guide with this induction cooktop says that the dimensions I need is WIDTH OF 19 7/8 - 20" and LENGTH of 28 3/4 - 28 7/8".

Questions:
1. Considering that the installation guide states that the induction cooktop glass will NOT sit on the granite countertop (the weight is supported by 4 brackets below that is drilled to the cabinetry/granite), can I still use this cooktop with the given granite cutout? The granite cutout is currently ~ 1 inches > MAX recommended on length and 0.5" > MAX recommended width. It doesn't seem like an issue considering the dimensions of the glass (overall dimensions specified above) covers the hole and the weight is being held by the brackets?

Because I am replacing a slide-in Stove, I do not have a front granite. It says that I should have 2-1/4" of granite at the front. What is the purpose and again I would ask is it necessary or is it purely for looks/aesthetic reasons? Weight is being supported, again. Will it look crappy if there isn't granite in the front? I would venture to guess a lot of people have replaced their slide-in electric stoves with cooktops such as this, what are your experiences?

3. To mount the 4 brackets (shown in the installation guide), it seems that I would have to drill and tap the brackets into the granite or supporting frames. I looked and there isn't anything currently there, just granite, so I was wondering, is it difficult for me to drill (or tap?) holes into granite?

Thank you to any one that can help assist or have experience.

Comments (12)

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Nope. Can't do it without replacing counters, redoing cabinetry, and redoing electric to add a circuit for either the oven or cooktop.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

As long as the cooktop flange covers the cutout, I don't see a problem.

Yes, it will look crappy without granite in the front. Granite can be installed in the front but it won't be easy or cheap if it's done right. I doubt many people replace slide-ins with cooktops for this reason.

I would try to avoid tapping into the granite for support especially around heat generating appliances. Build some sort of frame.

• jebediah11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response, Trebruchet.

hollysprings- what circuits are you talking about? The old slide in and new induction both require 40Amps?

• jebediah11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anybody else have any experience if this is doable or not?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

hollysprings- what circuits are you talking about?

What he means is the induction cooktop and separate oven need separate circuits. Some induction cooktops (mine, for ex., a 30-in. Bosch) require a dedicated 40-amp circuit and some (a 36" Bosch) require a dedicated 50-amp circuit.

• jebediah11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THanks sjhockeyfan.

If I go this route of using just the induction cooktop, I guess I'll be OK as PRE and POST both uses 40 Amps....trying to not have an additional oven as I don't use it all....

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

You mean you want to replace the cooktop/oven combo with just a cooktop? Then yes, you should be fine from the electrical standpoint (as long as you only need the 40 amps). The other issues you mentioned are a different story.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

I'm trying to figure out the WHY here. I just don't get it. Like I said in your thread in the appliance forum, just put in a slide in induction. You're shooting yourself in the foot for both cooking now, and any resale later. I can't even imagine the comments that a future buyer would make over such a kludged setup. It's a really strange, dysfunctional, and not at all aesthetically attractive, idea.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Dang, these girls are tough.

• julieboulangerie
    10 years ago

I can't figure out the "why" either. By the time that you buy a base cabinet to replace the empty space, purchase the cooktop that you want, and jerry-rig a solution that holds it up... you could have an slide in induction range.

• jebediah11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess because
    a) I want to keep the kitchen slick and simple - I do not use an oven at all and I do not want it there just to clutter up things and it not being used. I;ll probably stay here for another decade and even if I don't, dont really care about resale value of the property over a small thing like this
    b) I was planning to just cover up the whole bottom with a simple panel which hopefully wouldn't cost too much
    c) I don't wanna spend out of money pocket for a slide-in induction oven/range if I don;t use it. I just want the cooktop.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I know several older women here in FL. who don't use their ovens, but they use it to store crackers and things. We laughed when my aunt bought a condo which advertised, "Oven never used". People go out to dinner a lot.