Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
got my white macaubas installed!

Posted by michoumonster (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 2:55

Hi all, wanted to share my progress pic. Finally got my counters and faucets in place. I am happy with how all the faucets look together, as I ordered them all site unseen online. I also am totally in LOVE with the white macaubas! Thank you GW for introducing us!! the rest of the kitchen still looks like a hot mess though..

Sorry this is the only pic I got, taken from DH's phone. But I wanted to share it since I love seeing everybody's else's pics so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: got my white macaubas installed!

Beautiful! I really like the look of the stone around your sink. Is it 2cm with a built-up perimeter edge?

o

Wow! This is going to be stunning. Close up shots please! The install seems to really nice.

o

I hope you did the scratch test, I would hate for that counter to etch or stain!!

What kind of sink are you planning?

o

Very pretty!

o

If that's a built-up edge, they did an awesome job. Looks like the pattern is uninterrupted.

o

Terrific counters!

o

Lovely!

o

That is absolutely beautiful!

o

Oh, is that scrumptious--love that thick "chunk" of loveliness!!!

o

Realism, the scratch test should weed out marbles that are being sold as quartzite and therefore etching but it says nothing about staining.
Whether stones etch or not depends on the elements in the stone so marble with etches and quartzite which is composed mostly of very hard quartz doesn't.

Whether stones are porous or not depends more on the structure of the stone - whether there are little pores in its solid structure - not on what that structure is made of.

Quartzites vary a great deal in porosity so some need to be sealed to prevent staining and others don't.

Michoumonster, your counters are stunning!

This post was edited by cloud_swift on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 11:26

o

Gorgeous! Your faucets look perfect with the stone! Can't wait to see the final result.

o

Michoumonster, your WM counters are gorgeous! Is that a 2" mitered edge on the island? I love the walnut grain on the end of your island -- can't wait to see the rest when it is done.

o

thanks everyone! After researching counters to death on GW, I knew I wanted quartzite, so the actual process of going to the slabyard and picking them out was relatively painless with the exception of bad toddler behavior, LOL.

gwlolo, I promise to share more pics once done. right now, I only get these tiny phone pics from DH as I cannot go see the work in person with the little ones! the progress feels like watching paint dry at this point though..

Pamela and Linnelle, the counters are 2 cm with a 2.25" mitered edge.

Realism, yes, I took a jam jar with me to do the scratch test at the yard just to be sure it was quartzite. Our fabricator put on a sealer after fabrication. I didn't specify which kind of sealer to use, so he used a product in a bottle simply marked "granite sealer". Hopefully it will hold up!

o

Wow. Gorgeous. I can't wait to see it all finished!

o

Thank you for sharing - That is gorgeous and can't wait for more.
I am drooling just waiting for more pictures...

o

Super gorgeous. Next time... :)

o

Just beautiful and they did a fabulous job on the mitered edges. Can't wait to see more pictures!

o

Oh my, be still my heart. Absolutely gorgeous!

o

Oh Michow you are a monster for snagging that fabulous stone! Sooo beautiful and exactly what I want. A white to gray stone with veined like marble without the hassle of marble! CHECK!
But it's Macaubas? I thought that stone always had a very linear pattern, no?? That's all I've seen here. I like the linear too, but I think it's too modern for what I have in mind. Maybe you or someone else can enlighten me.

I would also love to see a few close up shots of your stone when you have time. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen. What have you decided for a backsplash?

Your faucets are nice too. What type of sink will you have along the wall?

Oh wow I neeeeed that stone! Thanks for sharing.

o

Gorgeous! I share your enthusiasm- that is one hot countertop! Please post more photos!!!

o

kaysd, the counters are 2.25". which i totally copied from firsthouse_mp. i really like the thickness from that extra quarter inch from the usual built-up edge. which edge profile did you choose for your counters? I am eagerly waiting to see yours!

island, the stone i got is called white macaubas at some yards and was called luce di luna and calacutta quartzite at other yards. I have also seen it called bianca quartzite. In my area, there are a few places that have it available in cross-cut format, which is what I got, which has fewer linear veins. The other format is straight cut, with the more striped effect. If you do a search, for michelle16 also NaRo on GW, you can see their gorgeous cross-cut counters. sochi, kiffgirl, jdknyc, and Babs711 have the straight-cut, which are also beautiful!
on the wall, i plan on putting a stainless steel apron sink. i guess they took it out to install the plumbing.
here is a pic of my island slab at the slabyard. it looks so much more dramatic as a whole slab, that it was almost a shame to cut it up.

This post was edited by michoumonster on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 21:06

o

Luscious and beautiful counters michoumonster! I love the cross cut. I can't wait to see it finished.

o

Yowza! What a beautiful slab! Jeez, that almost sounds obscene doesn't it? :>)
Thanks for the scoop on cross cut. Thanks also for listing others that have it. How do you keep track of that?

I remember sochi's beautiful modern space and hers always comes to mind when I think of a modern vibe with that linear stone. I will search for the others and look for that stone under other names.

Another buzy night searching on GW and Houzz for me again. It's addicting.

o

island, i guess i am a bit TKO like many others here, and researched everything to death.. right now, I am starting to feel burnt out, so not as much..
when looking for countertops, i hate to admit it, but i pretty much "stalked" GWers who posted anything to do with white macaubas. LOL! hope the list is useful to you!

good luck!

o

Funny mmonster! Now that you've passed on the names I'll take over the stalking!
Can you (or anyone ) give me some info on how they do the built up edge? Looks great, so chunky substantial. Does it require a special type of install? Is the whole slab sitting higher so doors and drawers clear the countertop? Is there a plywood top under the quartzite?

o

LOVE!!!! My perimeter counters are quartzite & I LOVE them---the look of marble but I like how they are maintenance free

o

Gorgeous! What kind of wood is your island?

o

Gorgeous! What kind of wood is your island?

o

island, most slabs in my area are 2cm, so most homes around here do a built-up edge. there is a plywood layer that lays on top of the cabinets. then the counters lay on top of the plywood. at the end of the counter is where the fabircator glues an extra piece to make the edge thicker, giving it the look of a solid thicker slab.

southernmum, my island is walnut wood.

o

oh that turned out so so pretty. I love it!

o

Michou, my island will have the same edge as yours -- 2.25" square mitered edge. The perimeter counters will be 2 cm - no build up. I like the looks of thin counters in pictures of European kitchens, and I didn't want to buy a 3rd slab just to have mitered edges everywhere. I am a bit nervous to see how the thinner counters turn out. My counters are being installed 1 week from today!

o

Gorgeous!!! Looking forward to seeing more ; )

o

I went to see a slab yesterday. They told me it was a quartzite, but I didn't test it. Blanco Rhino is the name.

Peke

o

I posted the wrong one. I meant to post the Calacatta. Is this what you were talking about with the linear veins? Is it the same as the White Macaubas?

o

peke, that looks beautiful! what i meant by more linear stripes are these

o

Oh that is gorgeous, and so luxurious with the thick edge. Beautiful!

o

Ok that is definitely different that I had imagined. I love the Rhino.

o

michoumonster - now that you have had your counters for awhile, are they still holding up as you had hoped?

o

Hi Laura, i wish i could give you my experience, but unfortunately we have not been able to move into our house until just this week due to so many contractor issues. I have to admit we have not cooked or used the kitchen much at all. I am still cleaning and unpacking and noting things that still need to be done (like a working furnace, and dishwasher, lol) We are still not finished, but we got the ok for occupancy.
So far, our sloppy GC totally abused the counters (he put wood stain, his tools, and anything else on my unprotected counters) and they still look great and no stains or etches as far as I can tell-- wish i could say the same for my floors though. I can give you a better report in a month or so once we are settled.

o

I can't wait to see more pictures of the counters! It is simply gorgeous!!!!!

o

michoumonster - if you have the time and are willing, I would love to see the rest of your kitchen and hear how your countertops are holding up. Thanks!

o

michoumonster - your counters are so beautiful! How are they holding up?

o

anj2000 and gotham, thanks for asking, i will be glad to give you an update on the counters after using them for about 4 months now. they have held up beautifully. they are totally low maintenance. i have cut lemons directly on them with no issues. no etching or staining from tomatoes, etc. either. i am not the most fastidious housekeeper and so just wipe them with clorox wipes or windex spray a couple hours after cooking with no dire results.
the only thing that does not wipe off easily is the hard water deposits, which i then have to use vinegar and scrub really hard to get off. but the vinegar also has not done any damage to the stone.
my counters are polished, so i think that helps with the cleaning. my whole family has really enjoyed the counters and we get lots of compliments from guests on them. everyone thinks it is marble.
i wouldn't hesitate to use this stone again or to recommend them to anyone. HTH!

o

Thank you for posting your absolutely beautiful quartzite! It is exactly what I've been looking for! Thank you also for providing specifics like cross-cut and the various stone names. I have been driving the stone ppl crazy asking for various stone names...cross-cut is the key.

Oh my goodness, thank you sooooo much!

o

I'm planning on soapstone perimeter countertops. I wonder how this quartzite would look honed? Would anyone have any pics? How do you think soapstone perimeters and polished quartzite on a small island look?

My remodel began just a week ago and the countertops is the only thing I have not selected yet.

o

michoumonster, thanks for the update! So glad to hear that your gorgeous counters are holding up so well!!

o

michoumonster, beautiful counters! I see you're from the Bay Area, can you share which yards carry the white macubas? I'd love to take a look, especially at the crosscuts.

o

Beautiful ! I love that swirly pattern on the macaubus that is cut that way.

mags, I have the stripey version of the macaubus on my island and leathered antique brown on the perimeter and it looks good. So I think the combo of macaubus and soapstone would look great. My leathered dark counter is sort of soapstoney looking from afar because it's not shiny, so that's why I am saying I think your combo idea would look great.

o

roo, i got my slabs from Pietra Fina in Hayward. They also carry it at IRG in brisbane. many other yards have the stripey slabs though.

o

It's beautiful! I love the mitered edge, and have the same on my granite :)

o

Thanks, michoumonster! Can't wait to take a a look.

o

Michoumonster, I saved your pic to my Pinterest a long time ago (inspiration for my wht macaubus countertop!) and need to choose a prep faucet ASAP. I just saw your pic again and love your island faucet - can you tell me what it is? Do you like it and does it have a spray function? Thx in advance!

o

Hi Nancy, my island faucet is the kohler purist prep faucet. they have a taller version also.
i linked it below. i do like the faucet. it is fairly easy to clean the sink with it because it is a pull out model and the spray is pretty strong. one other thing i like is that it has two buttons so you can switch from spray to regular without having to turn off the faucet every time.

Here is a link that might be useful: kohler purist faucet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here