Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Our kitchen's maiden voyage/hate my rangetop?

rhome410
16 years ago

We passed our final inspection today! The house is actually a long way from the actual finish point, but we get to move in, and that's a lot. :-)

Tonight we made our first meal in the new kitchen, using the new Wolf rangetop, my first ever try at cooking on gas. I'm sure it's because it's all new, but I feel a bit scared and disappointed. Some of you know it was my absolute dream to have induction, but with a family the size of ours, I really need a selection of large burners for large pots and pans, which induction doesn't offer...so in went the 8 burner rangetop instead. It looks fantastic and everyone is very impressed by its presence.

The heat and flames are scary. My kids are so used to working near the range, that I'm nervous about them using old habits and having clothing and packaging too near the flames. I worry that we're not used to pan handles getting so hot and someone will get badly burned. (The underside of the wooden grab handle on my wok is now black, but wasn't before tonight.) I worry about the easier possibility of grease fires.

Then there's the cleaning/maintenance issues. I felt like bits of food and spatters went EVERYwhere, but there's no getting to them. I feel like every time I cook anything on the rangetop, I'll have to remove all 8 grates to clean down into each drip pan. This is NOT the way I like to do things. I don't want the cleanup to be such a hassle that people avoid using the appliance or making certain dishes...I also don't want people making things and leaving a big mess for me to find later. I'm so wishing right now I'd found a way to combine 2 induction cooktops, and I'd be able to just wipe away any splatters, crumbs, or wayward pieces of food...and not have to worry about flames, burns, or gas leaks. :-(

I hope you can all reassure me that this will pass and I'll LOVE my enormous and expensive rangetop.

Thanks.

Comments (68)

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK, plllog, so you want me to actually do things *right*! Hurried and lazy won't cut it any more? Why didn't someone warn me? ;-D I'll just have to get little bowls and pitchers and pretend I'm on a cooking show...

Thanks, zoenipp. I can't imagine needing more firepower, either. I am beginning to understand, though, why people prefer the rougher gray underparts of the BlueStar over the shiny black Wolf pans. I thought they'd be easier to keep clean, but they just show off more of what's on them. So I'm getting that I should learn to love the streaky, spattered look, and consider it along the same lines of 'patina?'

I just wiped out the stove and can see that the grates will actually look better over time as they get dirtier. Wish the black shiny stuff could say the same.

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

Rhome410, congrats on moving in! And your kitchen is looking spectacular, quite an impressive cooktop! I'm sorry your not loving the cooktop yet.

I never had a super powered gas stove before so I can't say for sure, but if your handles are getting brown the flame is too big. Maybe pick a smaller burner or turn the one you have down.

I grew up with electric, but when moving into our house 14 years ago we had an old open burner gas stove. To clean I wiped down the top part then the whole thing lifted to clean the drip pan below (one drip pan for all four burners). I acutally found it easier to clean than the sealed burner Hotpoint range (similar to divamum's Ford station wagon) that we got when the old one kicked the bucket. I'm now going back to an open burner range (antique).

About the children, I don't have as many as you, but I have two DD's 7 and 2. They both help me cook on the gas range. I taught them if they see blue flame it's on and not to touch. When they were toddlers I had knob covers to prevent them from turning on the gas without it igniting. Now that they are older they are still not allowed to turn it on and I don't let them cook when I've got a big pot of pasta boiling on the stove. Too much boiling water makes me nervous.

I would definatly sit your kids down and go over the rules for the new cooktop, and repeat as necessary :) And as far a cooking goes you'll get used to the power and how a gas stove works and I'm sure you'll love it!

• starfish24
    16 years ago

rhome410 -- To me, gas is just so much more fun to cook with (grew up with electric; will never go back). Did you get the sealed or open burners on the rangetop? We are very close to getting the 6-sealed burner version of yours. We currently have GE Profile gas, which is supereasy to clean, so I'm hoping the Wolf won't be too much more difficult. Good luck!

• weissman
    16 years ago

I've cooked on gas most of my life and my DCS still took some getting used to. On my old ranges I was used to cranking it up, but on the DCS I really had to learn how low to keep the burners most of the time. Except for boiling water and stir frying, I rarely turn a burner up more than halfway.

I know cleaning of sealed vs. open burners is always controversial, but hearing you talk about cleaning reinforces the fact to me that sealed burners are so much easier to clean.

The thought of lugging drip pans and burner pans and grates to the sink does not appeal to me. After cooking, I wipe up the cooktop in place with a little Fantastic or BKF if necessary, then I wipe up the grates in place and I'm done. Occasionally, I wash the burner caps and burner rings in the sink, but most times it's not necessary. YMMV.

• Jean Popowitz
    16 years ago

Congrats on moving in! I did not read all the replies (but loved the car analogy) so excuse me if someone already pointed out that there would be a learning curve with induction too. Enjoy!

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Rhome, congrats on moving in! I think you'll love it. I've wanted gas again but have been cooking on the worst electric tops for 8-9 years before thie remodel. It took a little adjustig to gas eventhough I'd been cooking on it before. But after a few days I had to laugh at how amazing it was that I had been able to cook on those old electric tops. You'll get the hang of it -- and assume that nearly everything will cook at mid flame or lower until you learn when to use more. Don't start on hight to get ot going like you might an electric.

For cleaning the black surface, I found that iping it out with a damp sponge and then using a squirt of Pledge multi or all surface spray cleaner and a paper towel gets the streaks or spots left behind. SOmetimes I use only water -- the spray when we have folks coming over or I feel like it.

Remember that you would have had adjustment to a different electric top or induction also. I was too concerned about some of the cooking that I do damaging the surface of an induction to go that route -- pitting and such. I'd rather clean up charred bits of food than damage the cooktop.

I think you'll love it.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again for all the support. I just know us, and smooth ceramic (with speckles to hide the fingerprints and smears) that doesn't get stuff burned on is just our cleaning style! We were used to that (with the exception of things burning on) and really liked it. I've been busy in the house, so the kids have taken over tasks in the mobile home, and things have gotten a bit sloppy. I didn't even know you could get enough stuff in a burner pan that it would actually catch on fire! But now I have proof, several times over. Of course, a lot of that is that there is so little counter space in the mh, so they used the rangetop as part of the counter when not on, and didn't clean out crumbs, flour, etc that sifted down through the burners. So, among many other things, I have to teach them that the rangetop is no longer the only work area in the kitchen. We had sundaes last night and they served them out right next to the stove with everyone standing on top of each other. I guess they got used to the 'togetherness!'

I was aware that I shouldn't start everything on high and was careful to watch to make sure I was using the heat level for our stirfry that was effective and no more. I think maybe the handle burned because of the shape of the pan? I don't know. I am certain no flames came up the side to do it. Of course, we're not your typical stir-fryers...It takes several batches to make enough, so the pan is over the heat for a LONG time.

You all are great.

• bmorepanic
    16 years ago

This little moral is my contribution to education.

I was 24 I think, when we bought a small townhouse with a gas range. I had never seen gas. After about two days, I picked up the iron grid with my bare hand not long enough after boiling water on the burner. I was so house proud and wanted to clean it.

I was used to electric coil ones where the much thinner burner element would cool off quickly. Second and third degree burns on that hand. Luckily, I dropped it. I say that cause the shock was substantial and I did it on automatic pilot.

So the moral is "ALWAYS use a hot pad on a burner grate".

I kept on with gas and once I figured cooking out again, I came to really like it and would not go back. Even tho I melted my favorite tea kettle when I was starting out, I still do. You will too!

• plllog
    16 years ago

Rhome, really really I didn't mean you had to do things "right." :D Just ways of keeping stuff from falling through :) Believe me, if there's a way to lose it under the grates I've done it!! New "lazy" way? Let it burn! The eggshell bits and drips from cracking eggs against the pan are the worst, though.

Re the wok, it probably is the shape. Traditional ones don't have the helper handles, probably because of the flames coming up the sides. But just think! You can get a few of those authentic Chinese cheap woks and have them all going at once!

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

Yep -- we use a work (just the two metal handles on the top edge) all the time with our Wolf and have no problems (though I DID lust after that separate wok burner option at the time we did the remodel!)

We lose bits (especially chopped veggies) into the drip trays all the time -- they generally incinerate pretty thoroughly pretty fast, but I do make sure to clean those up as soon as the surface cools enough.

(Alternatively, just serve 'em up with a little restaurant-speak: "organic field greens with our own Cajun-style blackened vegetables" ;)

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are cracking me up. I think that laughing (while being cautious) is the best way to approach this new challenge. I will remember to let it burn or the Cajun 'restaurant-speak'! Thankfully, no one here has the habit of breaking eggs on the pans...So one thing I don't have to retrain!

I will try to learn from your educational experience, Bmorepanic, and not have a similar one of my own. I have lots of hot pads to buy.

I have Belgique cookware that I got for use on the ceramic smoothtop. It has the heavy aluminum disk bottom. I thought they were a pretty big splurge at the time. (I think they were $250 for a whole set.) Of course I thought the $1100 JennAir ceramic top range was very upscale, too. They still look new after 10+ years. It surprises me to say they're that old, because I still think of them as my 'new' pots and pans. Are these going to suit my new needs? I also have some new Lodge Logic skillets and a griddle/grill, but I've never cooked with cast iron before, and I'm sensing another new learning curve there. So maybe I should leave them put away awhile...Except the spatter-guarding griddle, of course.

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

I love cooking with cast iron skillets on a gas range -- if your Lodge Logic is new, I think it's pre-seasoned (so you don't have to deal with the whole seasoning ritual) I vaguely think that's all Lodge makes now...? The heat distribution is terrific. Whenever I need a really reliable pan, I pass over my All-Clad (reluctantly) and my lone (but prized) Scanpan skillets and reach for one of my $10 cast iron ones. They are the workhorses of my kitchen (those and the big Calphalon "Everyday pan" which no one should be without!) Just be sure to dry cast iron WELL after washing -- I always set mine on a low burner to heat gently to dry out but you could also just wipe it dry really well.

Bmorepanic -- a few years ago, I finally got an electric tea kettle for Christmas (with a tag that said it was from the local fire department! ;) So no more melted/charred/otherwise disabled tea kettles (and believe me, I've had plenty!) ... I LOVE the auto shutoff (and so does my smoke alarm!)

• plllog
    16 years ago

Easy way to clean and season cast iron:

Wash as thoroughly as you want. Put on the stove on LOW and heat it lightly until it's 100% dry. DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON IT. You don't want to burn the poor thing. Or just heat it until it's hot when you put your hand over it and turn it off and let the rest of the moisture evaporate.

Once it's dry and while it's still warm brush or spray it lightly with oil.

If you've scrubbed the living heck out of it you might need to heat and oil it a few times to build back the seasoning.

Just don't let anyone try to talk you out of cleaning your cast iron because they say it'll rust or you'll lose the seasoning. It won't rust if it's dry, and it's not all that hard to season it.

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Something that helped me with the transition a product called Kitchen Grips. The 2 piece Euro-handle holder set is perfect for pots with to small side handles. I leave them on the pots while I cook and they don't get hot. They make another one for knobs on pot lids but I like these ones for pot lids too. I think the handle sleeve set would be good for long handles too, but I already got silicon handle covers. This is cheaper than new pots and should help adapt some of your existing pots.

Another thing is a bigger wok - we transitioned to using 14 and 16" woks. Helps with keeping splatter in the wok and with keeping the handles farther from the heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen grips

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our wok is already 14"... ;-)

The Kitchen Grips look great and I'll keep my eye out for handle covers, too. --The grips won't fall off and end up mixing with my Cajun veggies in the flames?

The pans are Lodge Logic. I figured I really didn't want to fight the seasoning thing...Just wanted to start cooking!

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

If what you have is Lodge Logic, the pieces come pre-seasoned (I remember Ruth Reichl ranting, for lack of a better term, about this last spring -- urged everyone to go out and buy up the old original Lodge since she said she'd rather season her own pans her own way, thank you very much!) I don't have any so I don't know quite what that means, but I'd read whatever info you have for them (or check out the Lodge link below) before you season. Pllog's advice is absolutely correct for regular ("original"?) cast iron (and right, too, that the key to no rust is not to let them sit around with water drops or a not-quite dry utensil in them -- just dry well, or set over a low flame for a minute or two to be sure they are dry).

But it IS wonderful stuff to cook with -- you'll love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lodge cast iron

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

I'd suggest you go to 16". I love using the 16" on my big BlueStar burner. I also just read the part where you said you have to do the stir fry in several batches to make enough. With 16" and a powerful burner, I can make a really large stir fry at one go. Now that you have a range with high power burners, try increasing your batch size to the point where you need the heat to be on high.

I'm rather surprised that your handle blackened with a 14". The wood handles on my large woks don't get hot.

The grips stay on the handles nicely. The inside is something like neoprene so it has some friction even with a smooth pot handle. I found mine at a Le Creuset outlet store.

Your cookwear with a heavy aluminum disk bottom should work well on your gas cooktop.

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

Don't be afraid to use cast iron pans. You can't ruin them! I'm still using my great-grandmother's cast iron pans, what other pan can you say that with!

If they get a little rust just use a wire brush to get rid of the lose stuff, clean with a little soap and water, coat with oil inside and out (any oil will do), I use a paper towl to swish around the oil, then stick it in the oven at 200 degrees overnight. You may have to do it twice, but it's really easy.

To clean, scrub the pan with a scrubber and running water, maybe a little soap if necessary, just so the crusty stuff is off (don't over clean) then dry with a paper towel. Then put a little oil in that paper towel and wipe the pan down with the oiled towel.

Also cast iron pans like to be used, so the more you use them the better they get. The old problem is boy the big ones get heavy when full.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do pretty big stir fry batches at once, but for 10, it still takes a couple panfuls of meat, and usually 3 of veggies. I don't know that I've seen a 16" wok...I'm sure I got the largest I could find at the time, so I'll keep looking. There is a LeCreuset outlet store about 2 hours away that I've wanted to go to for a long time, but haven't made it yet.

It took us so long to get the seasoning right on our wok (people kept soaking it and scrubbing it with soap and cleanser), that I went for the pre-seasoned Lodge Logic. Of course, I think I finally have them trained about caring for the wok...maybe...So, hopefully, they'll treat the cast iron kindly.

Mom2lilenj, one of my skillets is 15" or 15 1/2". Even empty it could be my weight-lifting workout!

• weissman
    16 years ago

You can get a 16" wok at the wok shop - I've ordered from them - great place

Here is a link that might be useful: The Wok Shop

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

rhome, LOL that's the same size as my big skillet. An yes it's very heavy. It's a challenge to dump it's contents into a bowl. I don't think I'm THAT weak, but I can't hold it with one hand and scrape with the other. So what I do is hold it with both hands while trying to dump as much in the bowl I can, then put down, scrape, try to dump again, then give up and scoop out the rest.

Maybe I ought to lift more weights....DH doesn't seem to have any trouble holding with one hand and scraping with the other.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll check that out, Weissman, thanks.

Mom2lilenj, I can't even lift it with one hand when it's empty. This is one of the many times it pays to have helpers hanging around the kitchen...I can hold the pan with 2 hands while someone else scrapes.

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

Are you kind of a worrier by nature? It sounded like maybe you are by that initial post. Do you worry about things that never really go wrong? I have a tendency to do that. If that's the case for you maybe you will find it in yourself to quit worrying about the big new rangetop and just enjoy it.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can be a worrier at times. I think, though, that I would be a bit remiss not to worry about new potential dangers with 8 young, sometimes impulsive/independent sort of kiddos moving about me. Because I can't see and closely supervise them all at once, I have to be ahead of what they may do or think! They are used to diving in and trying things on their own, but I was feeling this was a situation to approach with more caution, and knew it would be tough to rein them back.

But part of the problem with my first post was just pure exhaustion after a very stressful day, and the initial 'Did I choose the right thing?' panic. In addition, the kids were very excited to use the new stove, I was not feeling safe or in my comfort zone, and they were very active around me and it...It made me nervous.

As far as worrying about things that don't really go wrong, not being at all familiar with gas, I didn't know if my fears were unreasonable or not, and thought I'd throw them out there and see what people said. (I was actually kind of hoping someone would tell me I was just being neurotic!) I knew I should give it more of a chance before whining, but all the input has been VERY helpful...Some good advice about things I hadn't even considered. So, too much of a worrier or not, I have to be glad I posted! :-)

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

By the way, one thing to caution your crew about - if you leave a utensil in a pot, especially a metal handled one, the handle of that can become hot - not perhaps hot enough to cause a serious burn but enough to hurt or cause a minor one. I've had to be more diligent about taking the stirring spoon out of the pot and putting it on a plate. Never happened with my very old smoothtop - of course, with the old smoothtop I could barely get the pan contents to boil so this is a big improvement. Not something to worry too much about but let them know. Sometimes I put one of the silicon pot handle covers on the end of the utensil.

We got our 16" woks at the Wok Shop too - we were able to visit in person and the owner was very helpful. Or if you have a local Chinatown area, they may have a grocery or a restaurant supply store that has the bigger woks. Even a regular restaurant supply may have them. If you don't have one, a wok spatula (shaped like a shovel with a wok curved edge) is very helpful to managing large batches of food in the wok and getting them out when cooked. I use it when I want to get food out with a sauce and a big brass skimmer when I want the food to drain as it is pulled out.

Our family isn't nearly as big - 4 adults live here, but I can do stir fry in the wok that feeds us dinner one night with enough leftovers for another night in one batch so you might try increasing your quantities per batch now that you have a more powerful burner.

I hope you are already feeling a bit more comfortable with your stove. It looks like you have a nice big hood and metal backsplash both of which should reduce your worries about fire getting where it shouldn't. I'm not generally a worrier but when my kids or now my grandchild are concerned, I make an exception so I understand where you are coming from. My husband is being very insistent that flammable stuff should never be left on our rangetop - especially now that our granddaughter is starting to walk because he worries that she might someday turn on a burner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wok shovel/spatula

• alku05
    16 years ago

Bu-Bye trailer, Hello dream home!!!

Congrats on moving in Rhome; you've had a long haul. Give the rangetop some time to get used to it. I bet you'll be loving it in no time.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Cloudswift, for even more helpful info (I don't have a wok spatula), and to you, Alku05, for the good wishes. I am over the initial panic, I think. I realized, in the calmer, quieter light of day that taking it apart to wipe out the drip pans isn't that big a deal. (The worst mess in them is the construction dust that keeps circling our little world here.) Tonight our 13 yo cooked pancakes on the cast iron griddle, our 11 yo stirred up a pan of scrambled eggs, and our 19 yo did a stir fry for those of us who can't live on fluffy carbs.

We have yet to try out our F&P oven, other than heating it up empty for awhile last weekend. I'll have to think of something to test it out...

Back to woks for a minute: If I'm getting a bigger wok, do I still want a flat bottomed one like I already have? After the burned handle, I wondered if I should just stir fry in a saute pan like I used to.

• sanborn5
    16 years ago

I have the 36"D/F range and I totally understand where you are coming from. Mine is 3 mo. old. LOVE the way it works and cooks and bakes etc, etc, but, I feel like I am cleaning the range top every other day. Every time my DH decides to cook I roll my eyes. I try so hard NOT to get grease everywhere. I guess this is just a thing we will have to live with for owning this wonderful range.
    I did buy a screen top for the fry pans and I THINK it helps a little.
    FYI, I found the vinegar Windex works the best with the everyday cleaning of the range top.
    All said, I LOVE my Wolf!!!!

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

If you do a lot of wok cooking, you might also want to consider the wok ring that Wolf offers (a different grate -- you sub it out for one of the regular grates when you want to stir-fry). We ordered it when we ordered the rangetop and it's wonderful (but better if you DON'T have a flat-bottom wok, since it's designed to "cup" a traditional wok (and allow the flame closer to the actual wok surface on the bottom). It helps to keep the wok stable and the bowl of it closer to the flame (we had one for our gas Dacor cooktop in our other home, too, and loved it).

Here is a link that might be useful: Wok ring for Wolf range

• weissman
    16 years ago

Generally people use round bottom woks on gas ranges and flat bottomed woks on electric ranges but that's not a hard and fast rule. In fact, in the book "The Breath of a Wok", I believe they recommend using a flat bottom wok. I have both - a 16" round wok and my old 14" flat bottomed wok and generally I prefer the 14" wok although that may be because it's more manageable not necessarily because it's flat bottomed.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What kind are you all using? I found a lot of recommendations for carbon steel when I got my last one, so that's what it is. I see The Wok Shop also has stainless and cast iron...Is carbon steel still my best bet, or do you prefer something else?

• weissman
    16 years ago

Mine are carbon steel.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Most people I know (I don't wok enough for a valid opinion) really prefer the cheap hammered woks you get in Chinatown, which I think are carbon steel. They're more lightweight and apparently cook better, besides being a lot cheaper than the fancy ones.

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

Mine's carbon steel, too. Had it for years and I'm sure we got it in some city's Chinatown, wherever we were at the time (I don't let ANYONE else clean it!! :) I also have a stainless one that I use only for the bamboo steamers.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, everyone!

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Definitely get the round bottom carbon steel. One needs a flat bottom with electric cooktops to get good heat transfer, but that is a compromise as the stir frying movement of food is much easier with a round bottom. That's what Breath of the Wok says and that's my experience too.

We like the round bottom wok so much that it is the tool we usually grab for sauteing even if it isn't an Asian stir fry.

Browning action suppose to be better with a seasoned carbon steel than with stainless. Cast iron woks are generally a much thinner cast iron than cast iron skillets (if they weren't they would be way too heavy) so they can be a bit fragile.

The flat bottom vs round bottom may also be why you find you can't stir fry quite as much at once.

• cpanther95
    16 years ago

Not to keep the thread sidetracked, but in preparation for getting new cookware for my Wolf DF...

Is there a downside to the porcelain coated cast iron, other than potential chipping? I assume heat retention would be comparable, but is there something I'm not considering as far as the cooking ability of cast iron vs. porcelain coated cast iron?

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm glad you said that, Cloud Swift. I just picked up a 16" round bottom carbon steel wok at a restaurant supply store yesterday. Unfortunately, they didn't have a wok spatula. I also bought a ring, but it's almost too small, so I'm sure a Wolf wok grate would be better...although I'm also sure it'll be a bit more than $5.49! Now for the seasoning...

• chefkev
    16 years ago

Just wanted to chime in - I'm stuck in temporary housing with an electric stove and can't wait to get back to gas - Adjusting the heat to where you want it is so easy once you get used to it because it's so visual. You'll love it soon! Some small recommendations - If a pot or handle is really hot after it's been taken off the range, put a dishtowel on the handle as a signal for yourself and everyone else (applies to all ranges) - If your cast iron is only lightly soiled, clean it with 1-2 tsp each oil and kosher salt using a paper towel to work the salt into the pan as a mild abrasive. Just wipe out the salt into the garbage when you're done. It's quicker than washing w/water in many cases and helps maintain the seasoning (I still always use water after cooking higher fat fish because otherwise I swear I can taste the fish oil in the next dish cooked.) - It's hard to tell for sure from your picture, but depending on your grates, occasionally, fallen bits of food can be picked up by a pair of spring-loaded tongs depending upon how and where they fall; the thin plastic cutting boards are great for putting food into the pan, but waxed paper, parchment or foil can be used in a pinch, foil can even be cleaned & reused. I too like the carbon steel woks, especially since you now have the BTU's to keep it hot enough.

Hope at least one of these helps - your posts have been really helpful for me!

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, ChefKev. All are helpful and appreciated! I am adjusting a bit. Even pan fried some chicken in my big cast iron skillet today!

We moved our dining room table in this evening, so it's the first time we all get to sit around our table together in 2 years. To celebrate that and being past the appraisal we have tomorrow afternoon, we're having steak...Any good recommendations for pans and methods for that? :-) With the electric ranges I've had before, I either used the outdoor grill or the oven broiler with mixed results.

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

We love our All-Clad grill pan -- steaks come out wonderfully moist and tender. I expect any good quality stovetop grill pan will work well. Main difference we found was square versus round (we got round, and I think I can fit more in it that way). (Also a great price on Amazon, which is where we got ours.)

Here is a link that might be useful: All-Clad stovetop grill pan

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, again, ctlady. I will try to find the closest thing I have to that for tonight...My griddle will flip to a grill pan, so that could work. --But I remember reading a recommendation against using both sides, because when you use it for a griddle, the grill side will smoke, so I'm not sure. I got it mostly to be a griddle and a flat surface to utilize on the stovetop, never really intending to use the grill side.

• chefkev
    16 years ago

Grill pans are great for steaks, but so are cast iron skillets. For a really great indoor steak: Preheat your oven to about 350, get your pan good and hot, season it lightly with oil, season meat, place in pan and sear or grill for about 2 minutes per side (until nicely browned or good grill marks). Remove pan from burner and place in oven til desired doneness (timing will depend thickness of steak). Use touch method or my favorite, a probe thermometer placed sideways in the center of the steak. 105 degrees = rare, 110 = med rare, 115 = med. This is the temp right when it comes out of the pan - it will carry-over cook to the correct end temperature. (If you're going to cook it more than medium, I don't want to know about it, but for God sakes don't go over 120.) Remember to allow it to rest loosely covered for 3-7 min depending on size of steak. This gives the juices a chance to reabsorb back into the steak so that when you cut into it, the juices don't all go onto your cutting board or plate. The advantage of finishing the steak in the oven is that the lower temperature means the steak will tighten up less towards the end and therefore stay juicier. This should also mean it is pink or red all the way through the middle and not just in the very center. Experienced grillers achieve this same effect my moving the meat to a cooler zone on the grill once it has good grill marks. Take thin steaks off right away though or they'll be overdone. If you are so motivated, a great pan sauce can be made from the drippings and brown bits in the pan and reducing a little bit of wine while the steak is resting. If your doctor isn't already spazzing about your cholesterol (like mine currently is), a little butter swirled in at the very end along with your herb of choice makes it even better.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Chefkev!...Wish I'd known all this last night, because I made a couple mistakes. I'd never cooked such thick steaks before, and remembered there is a 'start on the grill/stove, then finish in the oven' method, but didn't know the details. I started them on our grill pan, but for more than a couple minutes. By the way...What about the sides of thick steaks, do you worry about searing them? Anyway, then I moved them to the bottom of our broiler pan and put them in a hotter oven (450, I think) for 10 minutes. (What mode on the oven would I want?) Only 1 of the smaller steaks came out a bit past medium...Others were medium to medium rare. Mine was one of the medium, so I was disappointed, but I did it, so I deserved it! I will clip and save your post for next time. I also need a good probe thermometer. Thanks again.

• chefkev
    16 years ago

Preferred oven mode is good old conventional bake, but the other modes will work also. Regarding searing the sides of thick steaks - Chefs generally don't do it because it's impractical in large batches and can easily lead to the steak only being pink/red in the very middle and may look irregular on the plate. That being said, I like to do it if I'm only cooking a few - The pan's gotta be smokin hot so you get the crust on the outside without overcooking it on the inside (Rejoice, you now have plenty of BTUs to get the job done!).

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again! I get the part about searing the sides, but do think I can do it fast enough to seal it off, but not cook it too much. Our budget rarely allows steak, but now that I know better how to cook it, I'll be tempted to fit it in more often! (Will have to feed DH more oatmeal, etc. to counteract the cholesterol thing...)

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

By the way, now that you have your kitchen up and running, you might check out the cooking forum - a great group where you can get your questions answered as you get into using the new capabilities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb cooking forum

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Cloud Swift. I have visited that wonderful forum before, but we wandered onto this track here, so I just stuck with this thread to finish the conversation. :-)

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Hope you're enjoying your Wolf now. I just got my ovens replaced and am a very happy camper. I didn't realize how off my lemon was, but I'mlooking forward to putting these through a good test.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad to hear you got everything resolved with your ovens, Lascatx! I have definitely calmed down about the rangetop and quit comparing it to my fantasies of induction. My kids are doing fine with it...all but 16 yo dd, who is still scared to try it. I'm sure she'll be fine when she's home long enough so we can go over it together...Right now track and driver's ed are keeping her busy. Getting another one behind the wheel...Now that puts a silly little gas stove in perspective! ;-)

Am I going to post photos of my kitchen finished before you finally do of yours? :-) I shouldn't get too cocky, because mine has a long way to go until I can say it's finished...