Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some cabinet advice

Posted by buildingsoon (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 2:35

I'm trying to make a decision on how much of my cabinets I should stain. Most of my cabinets will be painted a warm white with light distressing and glaze. My hood and island will definitely be stained a dark hazelnut color. I'm trying to decide if I should also stain the desk to the far right and the area to the left of the fridge. I've used a pencil to color it in both ways and will attach both pictures (I don't know how to attach two pics so will do two separate posts). Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some cabinet advice

Here's the other option.

o

I prefer the first option, just the hood and island. In the second version, it kinda makes me think the desk and other end were an afterthought.

o

I would definitely only stain the island and hood. I think in the end and over time you will be glad you did. It is simple and classic. Your kitchen looks like it will be fabulous!

o

I also like the first choice of just the island and hood. The kitchen looks fabulous, but the picture with both ends stained dark seems to visually limit the space. It looks much more open and spacious with the lighter color on the ends.

o

Thank you!! Everyone is confirming what I've been leaning towards. Sounds like just the hood and island is definitely the way to go. You're opinions help so much!

o

Are you set on the layout? There's a more efficient kitchen to be had from the space, with a more functional island and better division of zones. If you have a measured layout of the space, it will make suggestions easier to illustrate.

o

I would agree that you should only stain the hood and the island. It looks too chopped up in the second picture.

o

I am far from a cabinet designer, but it looks like you have a bunch of small cabinets (width-wise) where you could eliminate some of the visual clutter and have more space by having some larger pieces.

Particularly where you have what looks like a 12" wide upper, and some of the skinnier drawer cabinets. I can tell you a 12" is drawer cab is good for holding pot holders. Ok, giant utensils thrown into the 2nd drawer, and paper bags in the bottom.

but I could be wayyyyyy wrong! (See what Live_Wire_Oak has to say, too, simply because the "eye" is there! )

You have a fantastic amount of space! and how lovely the cabinets sound. I look forward to seeing your finished space!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here