Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

Mixing Tile Types on a Backsplash

Gooster
11 years ago

While my counter search is narrowing down, I'm looking ahead to my backsplash choice (I know some people wait until it installed, but I am wary of the long lead times on some of the tile I am considering). I also like to consider all design elements together, as part of a cohesive plan.

In any case, I've been looking at subway tiles in Carrara marble. I'd like to include a touch of Carrara, and we're not the type of household that can handle Carrara counters.

In any case, I'm now concerned with Carrara behind a range (grease, acids, etc). Has anyone successfully implemented another material type on the backsplash region? I was thinking a decorative panel of white or grey ceramic relief tiles, surrounded by a picture frame border or pencil molding. I've read the threads regarding mixing tile types (only in baths, it seems) and I've searched for examples. This appears to be one of things avoided/prohibited in design. Any ideas on what styles might blend best in this scenario?

Less desirable would be a textured stainless steel backsplash -- I'm dealing with a lot of stainless.

Comments (3)