Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing Tile Types on a Backsplash

Posted by gooster (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 2:33

While my counter search is narrowing down, I'm looking ahead to my backsplash choice (I know some people wait until it installed, but I am wary of the long lead times on some of the tile I am considering). I also like to consider all design elements together, as part of a cohesive plan.

In any case, I've been looking at subway tiles in Carrara marble. I'd like to include a touch of Carrara, and we're not the type of household that can handle Carrara counters.

In any case, I'm now concerned with Carrara behind a range (grease, acids, etc). Has anyone successfully implemented another material type on the backsplash region? I was thinking a decorative panel of white or grey ceramic relief tiles, surrounded by a picture frame border or pencil molding. I've read the threads regarding mixing tile types (only in baths, it seems) and I've searched for examples. This appears to be one of things avoided/prohibited in design. Any ideas on what styles might blend best in this scenario?

Less desirable would be a textured stainless steel backsplash -- I'm dealing with a lot of stainless.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing Tile Types on a Backsplash

I think you can definitely add a different tile behind the stove, and your reasoning sounds...well, reasonable. Plan it into the design and make it look intentional and attractive and it'll work fine. Maybe run a line of your pencil molding through your marble tiles to connect the two... But that's just one of the ideas to make them connect and coordinate. Your area behind the stove can become sort of a feature or focal point, even if it's subtle.

I don't think it's quite what you have in mind, but I have 3 different backsplashes in my kitchen...2 mosaic designs using the same types of stone, but in different designs and use of the colors, and larger slate/quartzite tiles behind my stove.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of my kitchen

o

Thanks. I thought about trying to tie the two areas together with some sort of mixing, but perhaps a pencil liner in a contrasting color would work well.

Your pictures spawned another idea -- I see you used wood to frame out your range area. I thought about using something like corbels or columns, but I was wary of code violations. I see you offset yours by the required clearance.

o

Haha... There are actually supposed to be corbels there where you see the wood, but we haven't finished them yet. The joys of DIY homebuilding. ;) But I've gotten used to the wood dividers and kind of like the simplicity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here