Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

finished kitchen pics... but it doesn't feel finished

remodel-mama
13 years ago

Hi all,

Well, we are technically finished. But I still need help "accessorizing." The backplash is looking too blah to me. It's actually a lot creamier than it looks in these pics (I think it's called something like Victorian Cream), but the secton behind the range seems to be screaming out for some sort of accent piece. So, my question to you experienced, savvy, resourceful, wonderful people is - what are some (preferably non-flamable ;) decorating options for behind the range??

1) Should I find some decorative tile (with terra cotta in it) and make a 'moveable' backsplash to hang there? circuspeanut had some suggestions in an earlier post (see link below)

2) Could I hang some sort of mirror? I was thinking a paned mirror would look good - but it would need to be metal (instead of wood panes)

3) a wall clock?

4) a shelf maybe with a row of decorative tile above/below?

Sorry - this is not a very clear picture of the island, but just wanted to give you an idea...

I will post the details soon on the cabinets, appliances, colors soon...

Thanks everyone :)

Here is a link that might be useful: circuspeanut's tile suggestion for backsplash (from Peter LaBau's The New Bungalow Kitchen)

Comments (22)

• aliris19
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very pretty and clean! I like the way the brass colored knobs and lighting fixtures connect.

It will feel more finished once you get some dirty dishes in there ;) Kitchens are all about soul, and until the tags come off the refrigerator, your soul just can't spread out.

Crack some eggs!

(I also like the way the sink fits under that square space and the nice, clean lighting).

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Yes, it is a beautiful kitchen. I agree with aliris, it just needs canisters,a fruit bowl, dish towels, paper towel stand, may a vase with flowers in your favorite colors etc. Spread some of the terra cotta(?) I see up on the walls. Enjoy this kitchen, it is perfect!

• prill
    13 years ago

I agree. You don't have any of your personal things in there yet. Your kitchen is beautiful, it just needs some of your personal touches and pops of color. Live with it for a bit. You could add something over the stove, but you may find after you've been there for a while you don't need it.

What color did you paint? I remember your thread about the color, but don't remember the name. It's a wonderful color.

• Lori Ryan
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. Bring some of the red above the cabinets and put it on the counter a pretty plate with red in it. Bowls with fruit ( granny apples) pops of color will give it life. Nice job on the kitchen!!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Look for a piece of framed art for above the hood? Something really spectacular, since it will be see from adjacent rooms. No need to make it from tile--you have a lot of tile.

Whatever goes into the glass cabs will be a major player in the room. Got a set of suitable red dishes and glassware? Or in celery green?

Define your style--is it classical, formal? or is it mod with hints of old fashioned for counterpoint? I can't tell. This room still wants some filling out in the personality department, despite the assertive color at top.

Even an aggressive fabric on tops of stools can help you. But...I've learned that fabric-topped stools in a working kitchen are a mixed blessing, sigh.

• ellaf
    13 years ago

I agree with everyone else, you need to put your stuff back in, then decide. I like it as is.

• artmeetsscience
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely. It's just waiting for your finishing touch. Have a hay day artfully organizing your kitchen treasures in all those glassed cabinets. That will give your kitchen the texture, color, and interest you were looking for.

Perhaps a shallow shelf below the range hood would add another level to decorate with bottles, art, tiles, whatever you like.

Have fun. It's a beautiful backdrop to where you want to take it.

• Angela
    13 years ago

I totally love it. Put some colorful/interesting pieces in those glass-front cabinets and I think it will look more "finished". Hang a couple of cute towels from the handles on your freezer and range, and once you get stuff back on your counter, it will look more "done." But it looks pretty awesome with nothing in it at all, so I wouldn't worry too much about accessorizing!

• missstella
    13 years ago

Look at Tabarka tile. It is a terra cotta tile--sort of rustic, thick (5/8") and totally stunning to me. I've been holding on to a sample for months trying to figure out where to use it in my remodel.

Their website is a little difficult to navigate, but if you look at Mission Stone and Tile website I think you can see all their offerings. (I found it looking up Beekeeperswife's tile) It is different from your typical terracotta/Mexican tile, the colors are more muted and earthy. I think in your kitchen a little can go a long way--like in circus peanut's kitchen (love that kitchen!)

Love the color in your kitchen too.

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

It's gorgeous! Love the wall color. Like OPs, just needs your personal accessories and you in it! It's beautiful. Enjoy!

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will get some stuff in there (oh and take the stickers of the frige) and re-evaluate ;)

The wall color is BM Salsa Dancing. It's a great color - I love it.

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

what color are your dishes? I'd get something colorful like the pp suggested.. a pretty blue or green would be nice. If you still feel your backsplash needs some oomph you can check out those tile decals they make .. I dont know what they're called but I saw them on the Nate Berkus show and they looked kind of fun.. and best of all they're only as permanent as you want them to be!

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I absolutely love your kitchen but probably because it is very similar to ours. We have creamy shaker style cabinetry with some glass doors, midtone maple floors and the overhang of our peninsula is dark-stained maple - all the same elements as yours (except we have a granite counter - the very classic giallo ornamentale). Our kitchen has been finished since September and I am still playing with accessories and colours. I lived with it for awhile to figure our whether I wanted to stay in the neutral colours or whether I wanted to add some pops of colours. You do need to live with it and let it just happen and evolve.

My Process then became:
    When I put some of my "play" dishes back into my glass cupboards (not the everyday ones) I noticed that blue was a common colour in my dishes and so I lived with those for a while and then I found some really cool orange/terra cotta plant containers at a local garden shop and they "spoke" to me so I brought those home and put ferns in them (they would actually look great in your space). The blues and oranges are really adding to my space. I will now wait a while but when I'm out and about I do keep my eyes open for little touches.

I would wait before doing anything over your stove as you may find that you like the openness of the space depending on what else you do in the room. Don't forget that whatever you put there is going to get dirty and will need cleaning.
    What about a piece of metal artwork ?
    Just as an aside: I look at some of the beautiful kitchens that people have done with the fancy frou-frous and wonder if I should have done something like that and then when I see yours, which is so similar to ours, and I go -nope- ours is perfect for us.
    Again, I love the clean simple classic gorgeous lines of your kitchen and the accessories and accent colours will evolve.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

LOVE your kitchen! I also agree with everyone on here...fab as is! Those glass cabs will really be key in bringing interest to the kitchen. Don't forget something as simple as dishtowels. It just needs to be lived in a little.

I think some fresh flowers would really liven the place up. Love your island!

I remember thinking my kitchen was boring looking when it was just done. Now I look forward to the times when it looks that boring! Mostly there is stuff drying next to the sink, dishtowels tossed on the countertop and always a cutting board left by someone to clean up. "Art in progress" so to speak.

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

It is lovely. You did a wonderful job. Count me in with the others who think it just needs your personal touch. A colorful bowl or some flowers as sabjimata suggested.

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

love it!
    I agree put your things back in and see what you need to do to spruce it up. Love the wall color!

What are your frig, range and vent? Are you happy with them?

What brand are your cabinets? They are lovely looking.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

very pretty! love the fresh look combined with the red up above.

i can understand your not feeling like it's finished, but really, it does look great. :)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Yep, fill the glass front cabs and then see how it looks. I like the simple elegance of the plain backsplash so when your belongings are put away there won't be too many things demanding attention.

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone... I think you are right - just need to get some stuff in there and then take another look.

I just realized that I still need to order the glass for the glas cabinet doors (duh!). I have never had glass cabinets doors and while I love the way they look and am glad that I got them -- I am nervous about having to keep those cabinets neat all the time.

Even though I am consider possible messes in those cabinets, I prefer the look of clear glass. I also like water glass and seeded glass (which would match the glass in the pendants). But maybe I should consider getting something something less transparent??

Thoughts? Suggestions?

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is so beautiful. (I voted for no red stripe on the top, BTW!). Everything is harmonious. I love the tile Circus suggested, and I'm sure if you had put it in and posted a pic of it I would love your kitchen too. But it would be a different look. My vote is to load the room and then see how you feel.
    P.s. That looks like my Hansgrohe faucet. I can't wait to use mine!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Of course it doesn't feel finished, it's empty.
    You have a KNOCK out GORGEOUS kitchen!!!!!!
    I love everything and yes that spice red on the walls.
    Fill those beautiful cabinets with your favorite dishes or
    bless the space with a new set. Maybe something to go
    with that spicey color. Maybe a little area rug on the
    floor, how about a tea pot, trivet, dish towels, art work,
    goodies, vases, favorite candy dish filled with chocolate
    ( I digress). Do you love dogs, elephants, monkeys, Pigs?
    Put them out...
    If you dare paint your glass cabs a striking color or just
    put quality card paper in them taped down to see if this is
    something you would love for a little while.

Like to travel, drink champagne, or enjoy art?
    Frame pictures to place about you.

Clearly you have excellent taste, your kitchen rocks.
    Be brave take it to the next level and let your artistic
    talent shine. Don't be afraid because you know you can do
    this. You got this far already. Now you need to move in.
    ~boxer

Here are some ideas...

A framed bit of art

oooohhhhhh LA LA

New Dishes

Dish towels

rug

Paint the glass cabinets a fun color that you love

Tea pot

Canisters

rug

herbs

candle holders

vases

funky wine rack from Dennis Myers Design

Feng Shui double happiness trivet

What about a popular Garden web Towel pig?

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Boxerpups - thanks for all the ideas -- I think a lot of those ideas would work! I actually have a rug (runner) that might work well with the wall color. I had totally forgotten about it until I read your post!

I will try to post pictures again once I have had a chance to settle in and fill up the cabinets :)