Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyte

White cabinets & formica counters?

tammyte
11 years ago

We are hoping to build soon. I am drooling over kitchens here. :) We will probably have some sort of formica counter I assume because that's more than likely within our budget. I'm leaning toward white cabinets.

I love the look of tile backsplashes but I'm not sure if it will happen or not. Can a tile backsplash look nice with a formica counter top? I am clueless as you can probably tell. Can I get a large apron style (I think that's what they are called.) sink with a formica counter?

Is there something else that is an option that is around the same price?

Comments (18)

• sloyder
    11 years ago

yes a tile backsplash can look good with formica counters. Formica has changed alot, and has gone high end with textures, patterns etc..

• caryscott
    11 years ago

My Mom has laminate counters with a quite inexpensive ceramic mosaic (less than $5 a square foot) back splash and it looks good and is holding up great.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

Personal preference is to avoid the small backsplash lip on the formica and bring tile right down to counter.

• DCJersey
    11 years ago

I wouldn't exactly call formica high end, but it definitely has improved over the years. The bones of the product are still the same, but the various patterns have become more attractive.

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

There is a great thread going now (will be in the link below).

[Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_709) by Cincinnati Kitchen And Bath Formica Group

This link is to a handyman's website with white cabinets, laminate tops and tile backsplash.

http://winchester.handymanconnection.com/kitchen-remodeling-portfolio.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: A Little Love for Laminate

• hlove
    11 years ago

We remodeled our kitchen and put in painted cabinets and laminate counters. We figured we can always change out the countertops, so made sure we had quality cabinets and spent some money on a larger window that I really wanted. Turns out that I really like our laminate, though, so I don't feel like I'll want to change it any time soon...that can be for the next owners!
    There is a company that makes undermount sinks for laminate countertops...I think it's Karran? I don't know if they have an apronfront. We put in a large, single bowl stainless overmount.
    Good luck!

• tammyte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh thanks! Lovely pictures. :) I'll try to find the sink info too.

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

You can go to the Formica or Wilsonart websites, and they do sell sinks directly on their site (at least Wilsonart does now that I'm trying to remember). They sell various types of sinks along with certain undermount ones if you want that look. They are all the solid surface type material though so if you don't like that they're are other options.

I really want an apron front sink, and if I do go the laminate route then I would probably get the Kohler Vault drop in apron sink. It's stainless steel and has a very low profile (not the big lip that drop in sinks usually have so you can actually sweep junk right into the sink). If you don't like SS then I did see some ceramic or maybe porcelain ones the other day when I was searching.

To see what's out there I just googled some sink websites, chose three, and then I looked at their top mount sinks. Different sites carry different brands and price points so that's why I'd look at a couple.

Good luck!

• tammyte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Iowa. I tried looking and found the sinks and such but I can't locate a picture with an undermount or apronfront sink in laminate counter.

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

You're welcome TammyTE.

Here's the Kohler Vault Apron front sink I mentioned:

[Modern Kitchen Sinks design[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-kitchen-sinks-prbr1-br~t_436~s_2105) by Other Metro Kitchen And Bath Fixtures Kohler

I stand corrected with the Karran sinks. I thought they just had a couple of composite sinks (from what I remember glossing through on the laminate site, but I just looked at their brochure (on their site where they recommend you start). They have a nice variety, and a stainless steel undermount apron front sink!

I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for Karran-Undermount sinks just for laminate

• tammyte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh thank you!!!! Those look beautiful! :)

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

The Ikea Domsjo apron sink is designed to be used with laminate counters. The sink is available in a double bowl or a smaller single bowl version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Domsjo Sink

• smartdesignergirl
    11 years ago

Because I work for a laminate fabricator I need to tell you a few things.

#1..The cove area in a laminate back splash is important. It keep water from getting down between the countertop, wall and base cabinet. Yes you can tile down to the countertop if you choose to, but always keep in mind that there will be caulking between the surface of the countertop and tile. Caulking discolors, hold dirt, and can crack over time. You can always tile above the laminate back splash. Now, from designer's view....I like the tile look down to the countertop surface itself.

#2 Apron Under-mount sinks do not work in laminate countertops. You can select a topmount apron sink, but there really isn't a company that makes an apron under-mount sink for laminate.

#3) Karran under-mount sinks are specifically design to mount into laminate countertops. They are amazing!! They can come in the acrylic version to mount into laminate. Or if you prefer they have the Edge Series to mount into laminate tops too.

Below is the Karran sink link, however they are redoing the stainless steel line, and the stainless steel sink won't be available until late March or April 2013

Here is a link that might be useful: Karran Sinks

• tammyte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! We aren't building for a while yet. Gotta sell this house first.

If you were going to get the laminate back splash would you still do a tile backsplash over it or just leave it painted or....?

• olivesmom
    11 years ago

I would try really hard to avoid having the laminate backsplash strip. I think it looks cheesy to have tile over the strip. If you have to have it, then I would probably just paint the rest of the backsplash.

We have laminate with a tile BS, no strip. I think it looks pretty nice for laminate, but I'm not crazy about our edge, which is just a strip of wood that matches the cabinets. No issues with the caulk line where the BS and countertop meet, they used a clear grout and it hasn't discolored at all.

This is the only pic I have right now.

Our laminate is a brown pattern, it's not too busy looking and isn't trying to mimic natural stone or anything. Other than a few scratches (from not using a cutting board or something) it is is good shape. Our countertops are going on eight years now and are frequently abused. I love that I can clean them with windex or whatever and not worry. Just be sure not to scrub with the green backed sponges, ask me how I know :(

• tammyte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Olivesmom - Good to know it has worked for someone.

I just saw some pictures with laminate up higher on the wall. It looks thin and not the thick block resting on the counter. In the pics I've seen it is always the same color/pattern as the countertop. I wonder what it would look like if it was a different color/pattern. Has anyone seen this done?

I know this is a laundry room but just so you know what I am talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: [laminate back splash[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/corvallis-custom-kitchens-and-baths-modern-laundry-room-portland-phvw-vp~1102717)

• mic111
    11 years ago

caryscott, I love your mom's kitchen. I think I like the tile with laminate better than tile with granite when they are competing with each other.

OP if you go this route be sure to use epoxy grout (for stain resistance and easy cleaning) and caulk the interface between grout and countertop so you don't get cracks where the dissimilar materials meet. It is a beautiful look.