Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Samsung Radianz Quartz vs Silestone Quarz

Posted by happs (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 1:47

I visited a local countertop fabrication shop that offered to sell me what I needed size wise using one slab of Silestone Mont Blanc (Group 2) or for $500 less, I could get everything I need size wise to fit using a remnant piece (that didn't have much removed from it) of Samsung Radianz Aleutian White. This remnant piece was recently acquired by the shop and it still has the plastic peel over it. They also had a full slab of Radianz Aleutian White and Everest White. How do fabrication shops acquire full unused slabs for their remnant area?

How does the quality of Samsung Radianz compare to Silestone? Is there much difference price-wise between them for a regular slab?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Samsung Radianz Quartz vs Silestone Quarz

" How do fabrication shops acquire full unused slabs for their remnant area?"

Fabricators who work for big box stores have to buy all the sheets needed for each job. So if they have a 2 1/2 sheet job they have to buy 3 sheets. If they get another 2 1/2 sheet job in the same color, they must buy 3 more sheets, not just the 2 they need.

Unlike some solid surface distributors, quartz suppliers don't sell half sheets usually. Since they haven't invented a quartz stretcher, you've got to buy what you've got to buy to get the job done.

"How does the quality of Samsung Radianz compare to Silestone?"
All quartz is made with the Breton process; it's all the same stuff.

"Is there much difference price-wise between them for a regular slab?"

Consumer prices are dictated by how badly a fabricator wants to turn estone leaning in a rack into cash.

o

So the only difference then is marketing and the perception of the location where it was manufactured? In that case, it seems like the $500 savings would be beneficial since the brand name won't be apparent to the eye of me or a future buyer on the slab.

It's still puzzling how this fabricator had a couple of full unused quartz slabs in his remnant yard. The fabricator said and the back of the slabs had a sticker from a major regional chain of tile stores. Hope they aren't defective.

o

Actually, Samsung does not use the Breton process, but it probably doesn't make much difference.

o

I am a fabricator.

There are a number of ways a fabricator can have a full or near full slab in their remnant inventory. How it got there is irrelevant to the end user as long as it's not a "2nd".

Remnants are a great way for fabricators to provide extra value to customers.

re: 1/2 slabs; 3 of the 6 quartz suppliers I use regularly provide 1/2 slabs on request. However, this might be a local market dynamic where suppliers had to follow the lead of the 1st one to do it since it can make a large difference in the price of a job if one brand supplies 1/2 slabs and a competitive brand does not.

o

happs:

It doesn't make much difference. Samsung's quartz machines are Korean clones of the Italian originals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here