Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meangoose_gw

Please help me choose a countertop to go with this backsplash

meangoose
12 years ago

So, in an effort to quit beating my head on the wall over layout, I decided to play around with the more fun stuff for a while.

We will likely be going with a cream painted maple raised door cabinet and a medium toned wood look vinyl floor. I have been trying to decide on backsplash and countertop options. I decided to try picking the backsplash first, well, just because. No countertop has made my heart sing except for the Eco Cosentino in Iron Ore, which is too spendy for me.

Dh has requested no white or marble on the backsplash. I really love the blue tile below. I guess I have a transitional asthetic - not too modern, not too traditional. I am afraid of ending up with something that looks sterile?

I am not looking at marble or wood - the maintenance issues won't work for my family. Any other suggestions on countertop color or material?

Comments (20)

• sas95
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We were like you and chose our backsplash first. I think a simple quartz like Caesarstone would work well, maybe in a light, sandy color? Bring your tile, cabinet and floor samples in to the store with you and the right shade will be more obvious.

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

I see a darkish granite....some "anchoring" of the design can be accomplished ,and good for budget as well.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I like cam's mood board. If you love those tiles, you are a "blue" person for sure. You will need the counter to have some interest and it will need some blue to relate to the backsplash. This might be tricky as you will need the blues to, if not match,at least blend in with each other.
    Get a sample of your tile and start shoping the granite yards.

• fouramblues
    12 years ago

Parys Cambria quartz? (LOVE your tile!!!)

• meangoose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh wow Caminnc, what is that counter? That is lovely! *swoon* Hee hee, and now I want to choose new light fixtures too. Dh will just roll his eyes; the current ones are only about 18 months old, but at least they were inexpensive ones from overstock.

Fouramblues, that quartz is really pretty too. I have only seen speckly quartzes before; nothing with big chunky crystals like that. It looks so alive!

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

There is a dark speckled granite with tiny blue specks in it that might work. Called "blue Eyes".

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

Where is that Backsplash from? That is beautiful! What about a quieter stone...like honed jet mist. That would let the tile do the talking.

• enduring
    12 years ago

That blue granite looks like Beagles' . Here is a link to her stunning kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beagle's mostly finished kitchen

• meangoose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Caminnc, is that maybe azul cielo? I googled for blue granites and the pic I saw of that seemed close.

Jalsy6, jet mist is so pretty but I haven't seen it in MN anywhere so far. :(

Beagles kitchen is super pretty!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

My guess is the granite in that pic is azul macubua (not sure on the spelling)

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Sorry meangoose, I don't know what it is. I just thought it was pretty. I think someone on GW used it a couple of years ago. Maybe someone will remember who it was.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

IMO, I would not put a dark granite with your tile. I like the softer foil of cream and soft blue or cream and gray blue as in the mood board. There are some beautiful granites in this category. It would be a much softer sophisticated look. Good luck!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Hi Meangoose,

I think it is brilliant to choose a tile first and find
    a granite to go with your elements. Often it is the other
    way around and people are frustrated. You know what you
    love so far and this is clever to play around with what
    you love. I love the tiles you have chosen.
    I think a dark granite with a bit of blue to pick up
    the beauty in your backsplash.

Here are some counter options that come to mind. I am
    keeping in mind that white marble and white granites are
    not in the mix. You want a material that will can handle
    clean up.
    ~boxer

Cuisine Ensoleille

This countertop is called
    Azul Pearl by CHBriggs

Volga Blue

Azul Macaubus

Quartz Azul

Blue Bahia

Blue Bahia Granite

Borealis blue

Blue Pearl

Blue Pearl

Not sure the countertops in the images below but wanted
    you to see some creamy kitchens with blue accents and
    how blue was used in the space.

As I scroll the images above there are a few with white
    counters. I still think a darker counter would look lovely.
    ~boxer

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I have white arabesques. They are from Mission Stone & Tile. They offer them in several colors now.

I agree that a dramatic stone with blue in it will be great.

Here is a link that might be useful: mission stone & tile

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos Boxerpups. It's funny because I was thinking that the Azul type of slabs would be a good choice. I love, love, love them! Azul Aran is one of my favorites but for this project I would love the Azul Macaubus or the Azul Quartz. Going to be a beautiful kitchen!!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If budget was a consideration for the Eco Cosentino Iron Ore, it will probably be a factor with a real blue granite.
    Besides, if you want your bs to stand out, I'd let it be the one strong blue element in the room.
    I'd like the Blue Volga or Blue Pearl because the blues in those are subtle and won't shout for attention. If you have the blue granite picked first, I'd want a calm bs. If you try to have too many stars in the room, then it gets noisy.

We have Corian in their Rain Cloud pattern and it has a marble like vibe but it also has some small amount of taupe-ish beige. You would have to see if its soft white works with your cab's paint color.
    Here is a mellow pic of our counters. There is more color to them IRL but from the distance, they do look like a soft white. I am posting pix of this and linking to another one below to give you an idea of the color range to go with your tiles. You could find the equivalent in stone, but we are happy with the Corian.

(try to find the seam.. even blown up big it is well done)

I could also see a counter with an orange beige tone in it. That would work with the wood look floor and still pair with your cabs and bs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corian Saffron

• 1929Spanish
    12 years ago

We have this tile in white sitting in the garage for our new kitchen. You can get it from Home Depot for the best price - less than $7.00 per square foot. Overstock.com also carries it, but at a higher price. Just Google "lantern tile". I've seen it under three brand names.

You need to get a box before you match it to counters. Ours looked super bright white in the photo, but turned out to be much more of a creamy white. It's from Thailand and I'm sure there will be variation in color from lot to lot.

That being said, I would be inclined to go with something neutral and let the backsplash stand out. The white is a little more about shape than color, but we're going to pair it with Corian Raincloud over Omega Dynasty cabinets in "Pesto" green.

• meangoose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arg! I thought this thread had died out and it turns out that the forum moves much faster than I do!

Boxerpups, thank you so much for the pictures. That gave me several good options and the ability to envision some choices. You always are so generous with your time and your words.

Dianlo, your Rain Cloud is so pretty. The Eco Cosentino was on the edge, budget-wise, but then there was a $1500 or so upcharge for a "normal" sized edge. I am having a hard time stomaching that.

1929Spanish, thank you for the HD tip. I will have to check them out - it would be nice to have a local retail source for them.

• 1929Spanish
    12 years ago

My bad...I forgot to mention that HD only has the tile online. However, you can order a box to check the color. If they work, quickly order the rest. If they don't, you can return the box at any HD store.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996