Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biggyriggy

Kitchen 'Sidesplash' - Yes or No (with pics)

biggyriggy
12 years ago

So we had our old laminate countertops/backsplash ripped out and installed new Formica 180FX. They make a pretty good fake granite. So now we need a new tile backsplash. Here's some pics:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Plan was to put tile everywhere the old laminate backsplash was installed, but now I'm wondering about the sidesplash. Found this post that says to use paint. Well now that complicates things!

http://www.kitchenclarity.com/2011/01/kitchen-backsplash-where-it-has-to-end/

And then I was watching HGTV and saw this modern sidesplash.

Hosted on Fotki

So maybe the problem with the sidesplash at the Kitchen Clarity blog is just that it's outdated?

Any opinions on what to do with the sidesplash would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Comments (20)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I had a nasty flashback from the first pic on the Kitchen Clarity post. Looked my old tile!

I agree with their premise to just tile to the corner, let it die there, and paint the other wall. I think that would look best in your kitchen. If you look closely, the last pic you posted is a different layout than yours. The kitchen there doesn't end in the corner; it wraps around the corner post to another counter run. Still, I would like it better if they hadn't done the sidesplash.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I agree with breezy. Paint the side wall.

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

I like the idea of painting the sidewall. It will be a cleaner look.

• willtv
    12 years ago

Yep. Just the back wall.
    That Formica looks great.
    You may want to consider running it up the back wall and using it as your backsplash.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Or you could give in and do what I did: tile the entire schmear down the floor around the corner, so that you have in effect a tiled wainscot. Works best in older homes, but might be effective for your layout?

• oceangirl67
    12 years ago

I think it would look unfinished without the sides done.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

If you choose to do the sides, someone here followed the line down from the cabinets, but instead of covering the whole wall, they dropped in down to two tiles high the rest of the way out to the end of the wall. I think they used beveled pieces for those tiles.

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

We are messy cooks so I would tile the side. I've seen it in a staggered pattern.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

It doesn't look to me like the mess you may make from cooking would get all the way across the counters from the range to those side walls. And, many here have done a plain, simple painted backsplash. No tile anywhere. They report no issues with wishing they had tiled instead so I'm not sure a sponge touching the painted walls is that big a deal.

I stand by my earlier opnion. Go without it on the sides.

• kaysd
    12 years ago

I think painting the side wall looks cleaner. In our last kitchen, we had no problems with a painted side wall that was 32" from the edge of the gas range.

• Jodi_SoCal
    12 years ago

Paint is cheap and sometimes less is more.

Paint the walls and tile only the back wall.

• biggyriggy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the opinions!

Paint is cheap, but then we have to pick a color, prep the walls, paint the whole kitchen, etc! I just wanted to glue tile on and be done with it.

Saw this picture over in the Darth Vader kitchen thread, with similar cabinet and counter colors -
    {{!gwi}}

I think as long as we select a nice tile it would look okay...

• Fori
    12 years ago

I like a sidesplash there. I even (Gasp! Horrors!) like the angled edge you had before (which isn't easy in tile!).

You do have to pick paint anyway. And you also have to pick tile. So no savings there.

I'd rather tile just so I didn't have to repair that surface for paint!

Can't go wrong either way though.

• taggie
    12 years ago

We did painted sides. It never occurred to me to do otherwise, actually. Now that I think about it, I think it would have looked funny to have the tile just kind of ending in mid-air so am glad we went the way we did.

The picture you show above does delineate the tile ending with the door jamb. That makes a difference I think, in giving it a finished look. In one of your pics above it looks like you have door trim on one side ... do you have trim on the other side as well? If so I think tile sides would like nice (but painted sides would still be my personal choice).

Here is ours so you can see what it looks like without:

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

We did just the back wall. We don't have upper cabinets, though, so it would have been a LOT of sidesplash to install. I considered it, but in the end I made the decision base on (1) cost; (2) no neat way to end it on our particular installation and (3) I just liked the look better. Our cooking wall is much like taggie's, just above. There is only a sheetrock corner there, so there would have to be some way to gracefully stop the tile. And there was no way to do that with our tile.

• biggyriggy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah - both sides it is just a corner on the sheetrock. So I guess we are painting!

Any tips on prepping the torn up sheetrock for the paint, and for the tile?

We still are trying to find the perfect tile for the backsplash. I wanted a thin horizontal stone kind of thing, but it's hard to picture a grouted sample in the kitchen. Found this 1/4" mosaic that is pretty cool, but $15 a square foot.

Hosted on Fotki

The other main contender (at $6/sq ft) is this 1x2" brick pattern, but I don't know if it is too plain.

Hosted on Fotki

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I remember asking the tile contractor whether or not to do a sidesplash because I was on the fence about it and he said to do it. Not sure whether it was a good or bad thing. Personally I don't think it makes much difference one way or the other : / Sorry not much help, but we do have the sidesplash. I might be tempted to leave it off if the tile were really expensive and it was difficult to install.

• biggyriggy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Follow up, finally! Thanks for all the opinions. I bit the bullet and went with paint. Just had to sand the wall, apply Gardz sealer, smooth with joint compound, spray on some light texture, and paint the whole kitchen! :P

For the tile I found some Marazzi porcelain that I liked, kind of a large scale horizontal mosaic.

Also put in some under cabinet lighting.

• biggyriggy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this thread showing up in the list of topics? I don't see it...

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County