Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Is this email about my walnut counter legit?

breezygirl
12 years ago

I received an email today from StarCraft Custom Builders in Nebraska asking about my walnut island top. It says:

"several or our readers have referred us to your images posted on the gardenweb.com of your wood counter top. This is maginificent work, and we would love to know who built it for you. We would also like to use one of more of your images to illustrate our article on counter top materials."

I've never heard of StarCraft, although they say they underwrite 'This Old House' on Nebraska Public Television. Their website seems to be legit, but I've had some hanky panky going on with my email lately so I'm questioning *everything* that comes in. Plus, there are a few grammatical errors like the ones in the above quote that make me question it.

Can someone please confirm that StarCraft is legit business?

Comments (28)

• mamameme
    12 years ago

They are a real company. And regarding grammatical and other errors, that just shows that a human sent it.

During the start of American Idol tonight it said:
    "PORTLAND, OREGON
    AUDTIONS"

So out of curiosity, where is the photo of your counter top? I looked at your profile but don't see it and would love to! :)

• poohpup
    12 years ago

Pretty easy to do. Just checked the BBB for Nebraska and they are listed as an A+ business with the same website you get if you google them. Should be pretty easy to contact them via the e-mail on their site and confirm whether or not the one you received is legit. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nebraska BBB

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

The principal of Starcraft is a GWer by the handle of xoldtimecarpenter!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread that directed many of us to Starcraft.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

A couple years ago I wrote about their web site being better than Consumer Reports. A real human writes the articles (not a committee of bland) and this enables one to evaluate more clearly what bias exists, where it is and how it's oriented.

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

Wow... what fun to be noticed! When the article comes out, you will need to post a link for us to read :)

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

I know you're thrilled with your counter (as you should be!) and this could be some nice advertising for the lovely folks who made it for you. (You should clear it with them, then ask that any images StarCraft posts give them credit.)

What a great compliment to your beautiful kitchen!

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

How cool - that counter is beautiful and the artist who created it should be flattered!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I LOVE Starcraft's collection of articles. They really understand kitchen design. I'm pleased they ask for permission for any photos used. Go for it!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

You could always call them.

You might actually speak to a real person and ask questions.

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

They are certainly correct, it is magnificient work!! Let us know how it works out.

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

Congratulations...can't wait to see it featured!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for chiming in! Angie's link was very helpful. I didn't realize StarCraft was the company behind the great hype on that thread.

After asking permission from my woodworker, I sent StarCraft some pics of the walnut top. They chose one and featured it in an article on new and traditional countertop choices. It doesn't talk about some of the wood finishes we around here us most often, but it's still interesting to read.

Here is a link that might be useful: StarCraft's counter article

• deedles
    12 years ago

How cool is that?!

• sjerin
    12 years ago

Very cool!! I love, love your bb top, breezygirl. Can you answer a question for me? I was under the impression most bb's are finished with a chemical substance, at least at first, but the article only talks about the mineral oil/wax mixture. I think you talked about it in another thread, but can you tell me again what yours was finished with? TIA

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Wonderful! :-)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Well, we all knew that it was beautiful. Your woodworker must be thrilled to have his work acknowledged.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deedles, Sjerin, and Rhome--Thanks!!

Sjerin--My black walnut was not finished with anything except Osmo Polyx Oil, but it's not butcher block. It's plank walnut, not meant for cutting. The fabricator coated it a few times himself and left us with the tin to do future coats. It's very simple to put on. Just wipe it on with a soft cloth and follow behind leisurely to rub any excess off. Easy peasy. I think a big selling point is that you can treat a small area that might have a little wear on it without having to do the whole top. My woodworker said that the more coats you put on over time, the more water resistant it'll be and the less we'll have to treat it. It leaves a very matte, yet subtlely glowing surface. I love to touch it!

You're right about the article only talking about mineral oil and wax. Maybe it was meant to be more about butcher block that you'd use as a cutting surface than a decorative wood counter. Waterlox and Osmo are two great products for wood you don't plan to cut on directly.

I'll link my kitchen pics thread below as I mentioned Osmo a few times there.

It feels embarrassingly like bragging to be posting about that picture.... :-/ ((sorry))

Here is a link that might be useful: link to thread with my kitchen

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Wow, that was a great article, greater website and greatest hunk o walnut!

Is the countertop really remaining water resistant and black-gunky-mold-growth free? How long have you been using it in the vicinity of water now? I have a bathroom vanity top that's wood and supposedly sealed but isn't really. The black mold is rampant; it's a mess. Could I treat it as yours?

• mrshanson1
    12 years ago

Hello Breezygirl:

I read the article and saw Star Craft's web site. My suggestion is to have them erase your last name, or use it's initials. I dont know...word of the wise. I'm a teacher, and am always cautious about names on the internet... Just a thought...

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Cool, Breezy! (and I don't think you're bragging at all!)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

> My suggestion is to have them erase your last name, or use it's initials. I dont know...word of the wise. I'm a teacher, and am always cautious about names on the internet... Just a thought...

Always curious as to what people think can happen that can't happen otherwise. As a writer my name is out there all over the place, along with a legitimate email address and it doesn't make a bit of difference, you know. If someone is going to steal your identity they aren't going to do it from seeing your last name on a photo attribution, but if it makes you more comfortable, go for it.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Identity theft? Yeah, that is a concern, too. I was worried about someone tracking her down and stealing those gorgeous countertops!! :-)

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Breezygir-I, for one think your island is stunning.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I love the StarCraft website, but I wondered how many here agree with the "Cons" about wood countertops, listed in the colored "Pros and Cons" box in the article. It says:

"(Wood Countertop) Cons: Not suitable around water. Vulnerable to heat damage and scratches. Improperly installed, expansion cracking may occur. Must be maintained regularly and refinished every few years. Considerred by some to be the least sanitary of countertop materials, and some localities do not allow it for health reasons."

I'm especially curious about the last comments, "least sanitary of countertop materials" and I'd never heard that any localities don't allow it for health reasons. Have I just missed this in my forum reading? We are considering wood countertops in our future kitchen so I'm interested in others thoughts.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

ditto what Angie said..... I wouldn't be concerned about identify theft; I would be more concerned with thieves that saw a high end kitchen and tracked down the home address (because with a nice kitchen comes nice jewelry, electronics, etc).... Fortunately, the OP has a common name.

Breezy-----that countertop is swoon-worthy.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Blfenton--Yes, he was. He jumped at the chance to have his work published again.

Aliris--Yes, my counter is remaining water resistant and mold free. The Osmo Polyx Oil finish will have to be reapplied periodically as needed to keep the water resistance. I've been using the island and sink since a fews days before Thanksgiving. I'm sure you could treat a vanity top with Osmo, but not sure you could do it now with the state yours is in. Waterlox is another wood counter finish heavily favored around here.

Mrs. Hanson, Writersblock, Angie, Lolauren--I thought about my name being credited as photog when they asked me. I figured that millions of people use their real name associated with their work so I'm not alone.

Mudhouse--I had to shake my head at that article as it plainly says that that wood countertops are not suitable around water, yet they specifically posted my counter with the sink in it! Huh? Do as I say, not as I do? I dunno.

There have been many threads on wood counters lately. If you run a search, you'll come across a wealth of info. Studies have shown that wood is actually more sanitary than plastic as wood absorbs and kills germs.

Thanks for all the compliments on the walnut, Lolauren, Red Lover, Lisa, and Angie! I run my hands over it ALL the time I love it so much! It shows every crumb of everything so I wipe down often also. I'm still floored by its beauty every day.

And LOL about a thief tracking me down to steal my counters! And nice jewelry and electronics?!? Not! My kitchen is the most valuable thing around here.

• xxoldtimecarpenter
    11 years ago

An update to the page containing Wendy's photograph has bee uploaded which addresses some of the concerns brought here about wood finishing.

Again, thanks to Wendy for letting us use the photo, and to Dan Meyer for building such a beautiful countertop.

Here is a link that might be useful: StarCraft Countertop Page