Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
KAW: Essential utensils

Posted by leela4 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 1:12

''Every kitchen needs a pull saw'' said DH as he helped prep for the curried roasted squash soup I made for dinner:
 photo IMG_0875_zps364ca977.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KAW: Essential utensils

Cute...and a great idea!!!!!!

Can we see the soup and have a recipe? TIA..c

o

That is my problem with winter squash!
It is so hard to cut!
Great idea and love to see your recipe

o

Not a fan of squash but your countertops are making me drool!

o

Oh, I always forget to take a picture of the final product. Here's a reprise:
 photo IMG_0881_zpscc880ef1.jpg

The recipe is adapted from "The Roasted Vegetable" by Andrea Chesman. (I will give you the recipe as I made it, which is somewhat different from the original, so hopefully I'm not infringing on any copyright laws.)

Curried Roasted Squash Soup

-Many various sized winter squash, ~ 4 pounds total, halved and seeded
-2 T peanut oil
-1 T curry powder
-1 T peeled and minced fresh ginger
-1 t cumin seeds
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-1.5 cups vegetable stock
-1.5 cups unsweetened coconut milk
-2 T fresh lime juice
-Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Place squash flesh side down in baking dish and roast for 40-60 minutes, or until squash is completely tender. Let cool.

3. Heat oil in small skillet over medium low heat. Add curry, ginger, and cumin seeds and simmer until fragrant, ~3'. Add garlic and simmer ~2' more, or until garlic just begins to color. Remove from heat.

4. Scoop flesh from squash. Combine half of the squash in a food processor with half the spices and half the broth. Process until smooth. Transfer to large pot. Repeat with remaining squash, spices, and broth. Add coconut milk, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.

5. Reheat over medium heat until hot, stirring frequently. Adjust for seasonings, adding more salt, pepper, and lime juice as needed. Just before serving, stir in cilantro.

Note: I used a bunch of different winter squash I had on hand, left over from fall harvest from our garden. I wanted to use them up, and I also wanted to make something where i already had the ingredients so I wouldn't have to go to the grocery store. Luckily it worked out well.

o

Sounds very yum and aren't you lucky to have a garden ! I do almost the same recipe and use butternut squash. If you are interested I will link to a great curry powder recipe..Alton Brown. I make it and it is so much better than what you can buy in the store...most of those are turmeric and not much else . His is fantastic tasting. Thanks for posting. c

2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds, toasted
1 tablespoons whole cardamom seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds, toasted
1/4 cup ground turmeric
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne
Directions
Dry roast spices in a skillet over low heat till fragrant..watch carefully ! Shake to combine. Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. When ready to use, grind and add to dishes according to taste.( I store in a pint jar in freezer and I grind all after they cool)

o

Just curious. What does KAW stand for?

o

Caldarella's Restaurant Supply is offering a free can opener. Go to the following link for more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for free can opener

o

edb2n - KAW=kitchen at work

c-thanks for the curry powder recipe. I actually had planned to make my own, but didn't have all the ingredients. So I just went with what I had. And truth be told, DH isn't a huge curry fan. But he did love this recipe.

o

I'm laughing over the saw and drooling over the recipe! I see a curried squash soup in my (near) future! I love KAW threads :-)

o

Something that I do if I'm making soup with hard squashes (butternut, etc.) is put them in the oven and roast them whole (usually about an hour at 350). When they come out, you let it cool for a bit, cut it in half VERY easily and you can scoop out the seeds and gunk easily too. It's WAY safer for klutzes like me and much easier than nearly severing fingers every time I get near a hard squash!

o

• Posted by ctycdm 10b/Sunset 24 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 20:47

Love the saw idea, and the recipe!
Since we're talking about essential tools, here's one of my favorites that also might seem more at home in the garage...
I've found nothing works better than this 6" wide stainless drywall knife for cleaning my griddle after cooking. It also doesn't do a bad job of flipping pancakes and burgers as well! ;)
Forgot to mention, I also works great to cut, dice, and flip carne asada and veggies on the griddle.
...got the idea in Baja, where all the street vendors use them :)

This post was edited by ctycdm on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 20:21

o

ctycdm -- Ha! that's a great kitchen tool! I know how much you use your griddle, so I know you know what you're talking about :-)

leela4 -- squash is in the oven right now! I used a knife to cut it up, though. I don't have a saw...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here