Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbax_gw

Subway Tiles... Dated?

jbax
14 years ago

Let me first say that I do not mean to offend anyone who has subway tiles. I just have a question.

Given the wide use of subway tiles, when do you think this will be "dated"? I like the look of subway tiles and am trying to find something that gives a classy/timeless look. At the same time I like things that are a little less ordinary. But it seems that those are also the things that have the possibility of aging more quickly.

I always thought it was funny when people couldn't decide on something as "simple" as tile. Now I understand! There are some really interesting tiles around, which also tend to be more pricey (read as: not in the budget).

So, black cabinets, gialo ornamental granite... subway tiles? 4x4? or something completely different? Ugh...

P.S. If someone knows of a source for tiles like those from Ann Sacks, etc. but cheaper, please pass it along!

Comments (28)

• nancyaustin
    14 years ago

Perhaps a different size of rectangular tile would be less ordinary. Not the traditional 3 x 6, but either larger, smaller or narrower---2 x 8, 6 x 12, 1 x 2---would appeal to you. I have 6 x 12 honed crema marfil, so there are 3 layers of tile in the 18" backsplash and it gives an overall very uniform appearance, almost like a solid marble backsplash. It goes very well with our giallo ornamental granite and dark cherry cabinets. Good luck in your search!

• plllog
    14 years ago

The number one thing that will date your kitchen is your appliances. They'll get updated however, as they age and wear out, and tile never wears out so it's a worthwhile question.

Real subway tiles, 3"x6" white ceramic rectangles with straight sides, are noticeably of the moment right now. But not that many people actually use them--just more than any other one choice. They're using rectangles. And many of the rectangles have a different proportion than 1:2. Yes, it's possible, that true subways will be one of the iconic things by which your kitchen is dated (i.e., "Subways tiles: 2005-2012" or something like that), but they're classic, found in all kinds of historic homes, and simple. My mother's '60's kitchen has a look you wouldn't call "subway" but there are white-ish rectangular tiles and stainless steel appliances.

I think long, skinny rectangles will be as much if not more of a date stamp as subways.

• theresse
    14 years ago

I've been thinking a lot about this lately too. My house is a 1913 I think Georgian colonial revival AND arts and crafts, with a lot of stuff still original in the house. The backsplash was redone in the 1960's or so but the owners since the 1940's have told me the original backsplash was white 2x6 subway tile. The upstairs bathroom still has the original 2x6 subway tile.

Knowing the house for sure had it and that it - as well as this neighborhood - is pretty much historic at this point - makes me feel i have the "right" to have subway tile. That said, I like the more unusual stuff too, e.g. Walker Zanger's Hamptons Beige or else what I'm probably going to do which is a white calacatta marble 2x6 tile, more or less cherry-picked through for less busy looking pieces.

How old is your house? Will your kitchen have a modern look or old fashioned?

• festusbodine
    14 years ago

I don't think it's the material itself that gets dated. Has the original subway tile in a 1925 craftsman bungalow ever looked "dated?" Perhaps so in the 1950's when many people removed it in favor of boomerang-patterned laminate. But other than that exception, the answer is probably "no." JMHO, but tile materials which used when a home is built, based on their overall appropriateness of the house, don't really end up dated. "Dated" happens when materials are used which were never typical of such a house to begin with. I live in a neighborhood of craftsman homes from the 20's and 30's. There are a lot of house-flippers here who remodel these houses and fill them with tumbled marble, travertine, and slate because these natural materials are popular now and help to sell the house. However, these bungalows are very small, austere, and were built for working class people in their time. I'm not saying that an old house should never receive an upgrade, but I do think that sticking with choices that were used when the houses were built will result in less "dated" look. Timelessness.

Subway tile will indeed look dated when used in a suburban tract home built in 1985. Not a problem. When it looks dated and you're tired of the look - time to do what inspires you next.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our bungalow and kitchen remodel blog

• colickyboy
    14 years ago

Subway tile is used a lot by people trying to recreate a period look. I don't think that is dating the kitchen, unless by "dating" you mean the 1900s-1920s.

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

Many people want something new and different, so that their creation stands out from the rest, but those things that are new and different are the things that will not be new or different for very long. And I say, "Who cares?" If the elements are beautiful and of good quality, then why does it matter so much if it looks like it was done in 2005 or 2010 or 2015?

If my kitchen looks like it was remodeled in 2009, well, it WAS! It hadn't been remodeled since the house was built in 1980, and I lived, loved, created, cooked, entertained, and raised my children just fine. When the oven finally died, and we had the means to redo the kitchen by tearing out a wall and gutting the space, then we did it. The ugly kitchen is no more. But I expect that all of the brand new cabinets, countertops, and backsplash will look 'dated' to some, but beautiful to me. My home is traditional, so it already does not look 'cutting edge,' but that is why I like more traditional styles to begin with, I guess.

Subways are a fine choice for a backsplash, as are many other of the millions of choices. We were in awe of the multitude of exquisite (and often, expensive) choices of tile and materials, but chose something that we felt went the best with our granite and cabinets.

Good design, quality materials, and something pleasing to the owners' eyes, I believe, are significantly more important than having something that other people (who will most likely NEVER set foot in your kitchen) think is going to look 'up to date.' Most people who DO join you in your kitchen will probably know when you designed it anyway, and the majority of the population wouldn't know or care if it was 2005 or 2010, as most people are not TKO. The old saying on this forum: get what you love, and what will be a harmonious complement to the rest of the home (and enjoy!!!).

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

I want to do a flemish bond brick pattern in 2x8 and 2x3 subways, but nobody makes those sizes in the same line. I think it would look great, but I'd have to pay a fortune to Subway Ceramics for a custom run. I,too, see regular brick-pattern subways as becoming cliched in short order. Time to start with variations on the theme, such as a flemish bond, in a different size.
    Casey

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

I'm concerned about this too. I may still go with subways because (a) I've wanted them for a long time and (b) they go perfectly with the period of my house. But it is a concern. I'm wondering about doing a raking stretcher bond, but don't know how much additional charge that would be for installation.

• clergychick
    14 years ago

Excuse the side note to Casey (sombreuil mongrel):

I noticed on a sample board recently that the 2x2s they were showing were actually subways cut in half. I had to look really closely to tell that one side was cut.

So maybe the 2 x 8's could become two 2 x 3's (with a little middle piece left over), and you could have your flemish bond! (which I confess, I have no idea what that looks like but I'm gonna go look up because it sounds pretty cool).

FWIW -- Amy

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

That's probably what I'd end up doing, but it would need to be a ceramic base that was the same color as the glaze; fortunately I'd be looking for a biscuit /linen color, so it should be possible. My other though it, that's a lot of cuts!
    I'd be DIY-ing as always.
    Casey

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Given the wide use of subway tiles, when do you think this will be "dated"?

Depends on your definition of "dated". The fact that the actual 3x6 white tile that actually IS subway tile (not 2x6, 4x8, 6x12, or any other rectangular size) IS dated.. back to the early 1900's, is what makes it so popular today.

• theresse
    14 years ago

bill_vincent - what's funny about my house - actually my whole neighborhood - is that those of us who still have the original subway have 2x6, not 3x6. A local tile store employee claims that in the N.W. (or at least my neck of the NW), back when my house was built in 1913, they mostly used 2x6. Isn't that odd?! It would be fun to know why. She might have even said West coast vs. East coast but I'm not sure I heard that correctly.

I'd be interested to know if others from the West coast have 2x6...sorry for the hijack!

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    14 years ago

There have been several interesting threads on what makes a kitchen--or any other room --look "dated". I think the idea to have fun with and struggle with is that somehow, someway, everything looks dated in 10 yrs or so, though some less than others. In a way, that seems natural (passing of time = dated) , but at the time you're doing it, it seems weird because you think, for all this money, I should be able to choose things that are "timeless" .

So some kind of subtle or not-so-subtle visual pressure on the "look" we find acceptably modern or "new"--in magazines, on TV, in lines of appliances available, the ? fashion industry "decision" that certain colors are now in for textiles and paint--something about all that creates some shift with pressure so that a slightly different look is in order almost every year and after 5-10 years it is more noticeable.

My bias is that it won't be white subway tiles, per se. By the time that kitchen looks "dated" , it will be for something other than the backsplash, and its updating might be accomplished by something else, such replacing something that is showing true signs of wear, or appliance colors or styles, perhaps color scheme (going with a trendy color scheme for wall paint and accessories--right now I think of the ubuquitous chocolate brown and citrus green combos, already getting out of date-- that hopefully you like, can make the more neutral basics fade into background and yet look new, for cheap) , or fixtures.

This is if we are truly thinking "updating" vs. putting in an entire new kitchen every 10 years; if you are living in your "forever" home on any kind of a normal income or budget, then it would use a lot of resources to do a complete re-do of the kitchen 3-4 times, since, presumably, you would also be doing some updating of other areas along with basic maintenance and having a life outside of your home.

I think the monochromatic cream/beige/brown look is the most difficult to update because the materials don't lend themselves as much to wiggle room in levels of contrast and changes in accessory colors and having other items take center stage.

If you think about re-sale, then I think all bets are off, since you can never count on a buyer liking what you like, and so whenever you put a home on the market, you will just take the pulse of the market then to make decisions about what kind of changes if any fit the "buyer appeal" of the day, whether it is a $$ break or a bit of new paint or baking cookies or a new stove or countertop.

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Something is dated when one can actually date it. With some tile you know the exact year it came out and when it was popular. With subway tile since it's been around for so long there no such point of reference.

• amberley
    14 years ago

Casey and pickle- love the idea of doing a differnet type of brick bond instead of the typical stretcher. I love subways- they are in my original 1942 bathroom (3x6 I think). I agree that the age and style of the house has alot to do with subways looking dated. In a home that looks like they were always there, they will age well. I am playing with the idea of doing a herringbone pattern only behind the range- I originally wanted traditional subs, but decided to go with wainscot instead, since my eyes are honestly getting somewhat weary of subways (and I do look at them everyday in the bathroom already).

• autumngal
    14 years ago

First, the kitchen choices you've made so far sound lovely.

Although subway tiles are trendy right now, I don't think that something as classic as a subway tile can really be outdated. As others have said above, I think it ultimately goes to your house, subway tiles in a 1900 house will never look dated, while subway tiles in a 1980 house might.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

You can date the inception of subway tiles to exactly 1904, when the first tiles went up in the NYC subway stations. I tried to find out if these were 3x6's but haven't been able to verify. I found out that the most famous "subway" tiles aren't white 3x6's but rather the fancy and fanciful station signs and murals, each one totally different in concept, pattern, and colors.
    Casey

• atwhitten
    14 years ago

Nancy,
    I would love to see a pic of your backsplash, if you get a second. I really wanted a marble slab back splash but I think it is not in our budget. Your kitchen sounds like the look I am going for, but maybe a little more cost efficient.

Thanks,
    Andrea

• barthelemy
    14 years ago

The authentic 1890 subway tiles here in the Parisian metro are 3'X 6' (7.5 X 15 CM ) with beveled edges.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

That reminds me that I love Subway Ceramics' Metropolitan Tile line that pays homage to the Paris Metro. Field tiles with a pronounced bevel. Not the right look for my house, but I think they're gorgeous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metropolitan Tile

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

some things never look dated to me because they're so popular they come around again and again in popularity. subway tiles are in that category. I love them. I put them in my co-op bathroom and my cottage kitchen. Ten years from now, I'll still love them. Fashion and trends be damned!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

the true subway tile is also fully rectified --flat to the very edge...the NYC version anyway.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I read this thread after getting this month's BH&G -- they feature this kitchen and this simple update of the Subway backsplash. It's my new backsplash inspiration -- I'm thinking a white glass backsplash, with a colored glass as the smaller tiles between. So simple, yet so different, to me, so updated.

{{!gwi}}

• nancyaustin
    14 years ago

Andrea, Our cabinets are draped in plastic sheeting these days because the floors are being sanded and finished. When the plastic is removed (this weekend, I hope), I'll post a photo. Originally, we purchased 6 x 12 honed crema marfil tiles but the installation was so poor, we removed these and started over. The second time, we purchased 12 x 12 honed crema marfil and the installer cut each tile in half. The cost of buying the larger tile and cutting it was much less than buying the 6 x 12 tiles. Nancy

• rjr220
    14 years ago

oops. apologies for posting that photo so large. I was using the netbook at the time, had reset the font for "large" and just didn't have an appreciation for what size of photo I was posting. New technology . . . that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

We used 6x8 tiles ... thought about using 12x12s and cutting, but it was much cheaper this way, and I liked the different proportion

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Casey -- re. all the tile cuts: it can be done, and takes surprisingly little time, all considered. I couldn't find the color I wanted in a subway, so cut 6x6 tiles in half for my entire backsplash (!). Get a nice flat tile, place them cut side downwards, and nobody will ever know.

• lisa0527
    14 years ago

Have you considered a glass or marble tile in a "falling water" pattern (I guess originally designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for the Falling Water house?). It's a slightly more modern, slightly different take on a subway tile backsplash. I'll be using it in a crema marfil, and somebody on here has a lovely carrara backsplash in it as well, but can't remember who. The link will give you the idea of the pattern, but it's available in many different finishes, including glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: falling water tile pattern