Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New countertops in today! ...teaser photo

Posted by ctycdm (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 1:05

New Soapstone in today, still have the backsplash to do, among other things...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New countertops in today! ...teaser photo

Wow, they are beautiful!

o

Very nice!

o

We had white ceramic tile on both the lower and upper counters for 27 years, nothing wrong with it , but this is a nice change, maybe for the next 27...?
BTW that's 2-1/4" thick Mesquite on the bar top counters and window sills

o

Beautiful soap stone! And the mesquite is drool-worthy, as well. Gosh, they look wonderful together! Congrats!

o

Lovely. What is the name of the soapstone?

Your cabinets are very nice too! What wood and stain is that? Love the mesquite counters, btw. Nicely done.

o

..thanks for the kind words ~ The Soapstone is Mariana (Brazilian), the 5 1/2" backsplash will be the same. No stain or finish on the Mesquite, just mineral oil, beeswax, and Carnauba (food grade). Cabinets are Knotty Pine that I built in 1986, with just a slight whitewash to keep them from yellowing, although they have darkened somewhat over the years, just from sunlight. I will be replacing some doors and drawer fronts, and I hope I can get the stain to match! (I think I used thinned down white oil base primer at the time) Will be refinishing the oak floors to get them more in the reddish tone of the Mesquite...

o

love the wood with the soapstone......it enchances it.

o

Awesome!

o

BTW that's 2-1/4" thick Mesquite on the bar top counters and window sill

Where did you get it?

o

Catmom took the word right outa my head but I'll say it again
Aesome!!!

I just picked my slab yesterday, called Brazilian Black, looks very similar.

o

Beautiful combination of mesquite wood and soapstone, which I haven't seen much. I love the warmth of your kitchen and am looking forward to the final reveal.

o

Beautiful and a great looking combination. Did you build the mesquite countertop too?

o

I had a countertop company in AZ, William Rogers, glue up the Mesquite stock, and they shipped it to me. I did all the cutting and fitting on site. I've been working with wood all my life, and Mesquite is likely the hardest wood I've ever dealt with. (Janka rating 2345) Has a bit of an oily property to it as well, similar to Teak, and a wild grain with lots of character. Sanded to a 400 grit. The Soapstone is sanded to 320 wet.

o

I love the patterns in it! Lovely.

o

That is gorgeous! Love both counters.

o

Love how everything is so organic and textural. Your new soapstone is gorgeous!

o

I commented on your sink reveal pic on another thread and am so glad I found more of your lovely kitchen. I've never seen a mesquite counter, but it's really warm and beautiful. The two tops look like great neighbors. As much as I love wood counters (I have black walnut myself) that soapstone is to die for. If I could have found slabs like that when I was looking, I would have a soapstone island instead of walnut. The black is so rich and the strong, infrequent veins are just the right amount of tension to break up the solid color. Can't wait to see more!

o

cty, happy to see you back with progress on your kitchen. There are not to many people here that have built their own cabinets and now are doing ands on reno.
Looking good :)

o

I love the beautiful veining in your soapstone! You are going to love it.

o

That's a beautiful ss counter!! How impressive that you built your own lovely cabinets.

o

Very pretty and unusual looking!

o

Update, backsplash went in today! Not only was my fabricator able to get it all out of one slab, he book matched the splash :) I'm so thrilled with the look...

o

it looks fabulous!

o

That is fantastic! Love the bookmatching.

o

That is seriously gorgeous. Wow.

o

The vein matching is very well done! A true sign of craftmanship beyond fabrication! Congrats!

o

OMG(osh)
This is really fabulous. I don't always love soapstone, but you made it sing. And that mesquite!
Wow.
Perfect for your space.
Thank you for sharing!

o

Love, love, LOVE how the veins in the stone and the figuring in the wood play off each other.

o

Your soapstone is beautiful in the first picture. Bookmarked, it is breath-taking. Egads, your installation is flawless.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here