Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookncarpenter

New countertops in today! ...teaser photo

cookncarpenter
11 years ago

New Soapstone in today, still have the backsplash to do, among other things...

Comments (29)

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Wow, they are beautiful!

• miruca
    11 years ago

Very nice!

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We had white ceramic tile on both the lower and upper counters for 27 years, nothing wrong with it , but this is a nice change, maybe for the next 27...?
    BTW that's 2-1/4" thick Mesquite on the bar top counters and window sills

• function_first
    11 years ago

Beautiful soap stone! And the mesquite is drool-worthy, as well. Gosh, they look wonderful together! Congrats!

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Lovely. What is the name of the soapstone?

Your cabinets are very nice too! What wood and stain is that? Love the mesquite counters, btw. Nicely done.

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

..thanks for the kind words ~ The Soapstone is Mariana (Brazilian), the 5 1/2" backsplash will be the same. No stain or finish on the Mesquite, just mineral oil, beeswax, and Carnauba (food grade). Cabinets are Knotty Pine that I built in 1986, with just a slight whitewash to keep them from yellowing, although they have darkened somewhat over the years, just from sunlight. I will be replacing some doors and drawer fronts, and I hope I can get the stain to match! (I think I used thinned down white oil base primer at the time) Will be refinishing the oak floors to get them more in the reddish tone of the Mesquite...

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

love the wood with the soapstone......it enchances it.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Awesome!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

BTW that's 2-1/4" thick Mesquite on the bar top counters and window sill

Where did you get it?

• Mistman
    11 years ago

Catmom took the word right outa my head but I'll say it again
    Aesome!!!

I just picked my slab yesterday, called Brazilian Black, looks very similar.

• rovo
    11 years ago

Beautiful combination of mesquite wood and soapstone, which I haven't seen much. I love the warmth of your kitchen and am looking forward to the final reveal.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful and a great looking combination. Did you build the mesquite countertop too?

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had a countertop company in AZ, William Rogers, glue up the Mesquite stock, and they shipped it to me. I did all the cutting and fitting on site. I've been working with wood all my life, and Mesquite is likely the hardest wood I've ever dealt with. (Janka rating 2345) Has a bit of an oily property to it as well, similar to Teak, and a wild grain with lots of character. Sanded to a 400 grit. The Soapstone is sanded to 320 wet.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I love the patterns in it! Lovely.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

That is gorgeous! Love both counters.

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Love how everything is so organic and textural. Your new soapstone is gorgeous!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I commented on your sink reveal pic on another thread and am so glad I found more of your lovely kitchen. I've never seen a mesquite counter, but it's really warm and beautiful. The two tops look like great neighbors. As much as I love wood counters (I have black walnut myself) that soapstone is to die for. If I could have found slabs like that when I was looking, I would have a soapstone island instead of walnut. The black is so rich and the strong, infrequent veins are just the right amount of tension to break up the solid color. Can't wait to see more!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

cty, happy to see you back with progress on your kitchen. There are not to many people here that have built their own cabinets and now are doing ands on reno.
    Looking good :)

• sis2two
    11 years ago

I love the beautiful veining in your soapstone! You are going to love it.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

That's a beautiful ss counter!! How impressive that you built your own lovely cabinets.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Very pretty and unusual looking!

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update, backsplash went in today! Not only was my fabricator able to get it all out of one slab, he book matched the splash :) I'm so thrilled with the look...

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

it looks fabulous!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

That is fantastic! Love the bookmatching.

• function_first
    11 years ago

That is seriously gorgeous. Wow.

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

The vein matching is very well done! A true sign of craftmanship beyond fabrication! Congrats!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

OMG(osh)
    This is really fabulous. I don't always love soapstone, but you made it sing. And that mesquite!
    Wow.
    Perfect for your space.
    Thank you for sharing!

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

Love, love, LOVE how the veins in the stone and the figuring in the wood play off each other.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Your soapstone is beautiful in the first picture. Bookmarked, it is breath-taking. Egads, your installation is flawless.