Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best electric slide in range?

Posted by Mooshi1 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 0:33

I am remodeling my kitchen and want to buy a stainless slide in range and would like to know what is the best slide in range that costs no more than $2000. I noticed that in some of the slide in ranges the sides are steel where in others sides are made of glass. I am not sure which one looks better in the kitchen and what are pros and cons of each one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best electric slide in range?

We have a Frigidaire Gallery electric, glass top, slide-in range with a warming drawer. It cost about $1600. We like it very much but has its drawbacks.

The main complaint we have with it is It blows air out a vent between the controls and oven door. Will be great for the summer but can be chilly in the winter

o

This picture shows model 399 although I had 397 in mind. But they are similar. The good thing is the price that I can save for other parts of the kitchen, but I am kind of bothered by the sides not looking like a glass cooktop and the smooth transition. This looks more like a freestanding one other than the panel is front.

o

To amandapadgett, I wonder if this happens when you use the oven. Is this the way all the slide-ins are? Because I see vents in the Whirlpools too.

o

The best electric anything is an induction one. I'd honestly scrimp somewhere else in the budget in order to afford one. It will be the best tool in your kitchen.

o

Can't give you a definite answer if it's the best electric slide in range but I just ordered the KA 30" pro line electric slide in range. It's convection w/ a warming drawer. I liked the "commercial" look to it. Could be an option for you???

o

I shopped radiant top electrics about 6 months ago... and learned that $2K is probably an OK budget. It depends, though, what you are using it for. Do you need convection? Do you care that electric radiant is less responsive than induction? Are you expecting a second oven or warming drawer? Or do you just want something that looks good? GE, unless it's one of the plain models, is probably out of the price range. Frigidaire has a few models that might work and so does Kitchenaid.

I think electric ranges are perfectly fine and serviceable in most home kitchens, although in this forum, they aren't generally favored. My philosophy is that if you're a good cook, you can do it on anything, and if you're a bad cook, the range is the least of your problems. That said, for many of us here, using great equipment equals great pleasure!

My own story: after looking at electric radiant top, gas (NXR from Costco), and induction, I decided on the Electrolux slide-in induction. Multiple reasons, but I wanted something responsive, running a gas line was prohibitive, and with gas, I would need more ventilation than code would allow without make up air. That's the short version :)

o

green-are they still relatively new? I am searching and there do not seem to be too many to choose from for a slide-in instead of free standing.

o

Induction has some significant benefits. Faster than gas response, top does not get very hot, cleanup does not include baked on grime. This last is a major difference between radiant and induction. Whirlpool has been 10 years behind on induction in the US. Probably because they lack a commercial division unlike Electrolux. Europe has 50x the choice at everyday prices. Check induction info on the Appliance forum.

o

I am going to bump this article because we are in the market for a new electric range. We have no gas hook up at our house, so it will have to be electric, and I prefer the look of a slide in. Beyond that, I am clueless on what to look for when shopping for one! I current free standing range is probably closing in on 20 years old :)

o

Based on my experience cooking on my daughter's induction range, I would definitely recommend that. In fact, my Electrolux slide-in induction is sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. There are still not many induction slide-ins. With rebates, etc., the GE is about $2400. Elex is a little more, but I liked the features/appearance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction slide-ins

o

Another vote for induction. I have an E-lux induction free-standing range, but for an additional $300 I could've had a slide-in. I know the looks of slide-in are way sleeker, if it became a decision between slide-in and induction (due to budget) I would pick the induction. I do think there are induction ranges at or below $2000, but not sure how many brands are making them slide-in. JMO!!

o

INDUCTION! It's the best way to go. I wanted gas this time around, but found running the line and a too-close wall to the right was problematic in our redo. We went with a Bosch induction on the advice of another cook and couldn't be happier. Easy cleanup, more consistent cooking, and good looking profile. So glad I didn't go with another electric pop in. Check out induction.

o

Okay so when you say induction, you are talking about the cook top surface... what about the oven? Convection... yea or nea? I am guessing without looking yet that if we are paying for induction, then convection oven is going to be an option.

I will see how much for induction, but if past our budget, then need some suggestions on slide in brands that will be a good purchase. We bought a dishwasher on the fly, literally like buying a candy bar at the check out line, and regret it daily! It does a terrible job on washing the dishes! I won't make the same mistake this time around :)

o

We bought a 30 inch Bosch induction and have been very pleased with it. The one we got is linked below. We paid around $1500 for it on sale. Went with a Wolf convection oven. Love it too, but have to confess I don't use the convection as much as I thought I would.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch NIT5065UC 30 Inch

o

I'm thinking that most, if not all, of induction ranges will have convection oven. Simply because if you're getting into higher end ranges then convection kind of goes along with it. Nice option to have even if you ( like me) rarely use that feature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here