olivertwistkitchen

Undercabinet Cookbook holder

olivertwistkitchen
11 years ago

Does anyone have something like this?

Spaces design by Denver Kitchen And Bath Jan Neiges, CKD
Do you like it?
Does it fold up/down or stay down?
How do you install it and avoid the undercabinet lighting?

Comments (19)

• akcorcoran
    11 years ago

Are you a die-hard book person? I ask because a lot of recipe-reading / recording is moving digital now so I would be more likely to get a little iPad or laptop screen holder than something to put a book on - and then you don't have to worry about lighting. But that's just me! :-)

• localeater
    11 years ago

I wanted one, but since I have no uppers it didn't really work. I would have gotten one that could support book/magazine/tablet and I don't see an obstacle to doing that. Keeps the recipe out of the spill zone.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Might not play nice with undercabinet lighting.

• rikerk
    11 years ago

We do have one that I ordered with the cabinet order from 5 years ago. We just recently installed it. Marcolo is right it doesn't play nice with under cabinet lighting. And to be honest it is a hard clear plastic & I think it takes away from the kitchen. My husband hated it & we are going to take it down. It was not cheap by any means.

Kim

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I am a book person. I already have all my recipes in cookbooks. Regardless, I am looking for a way to read my recipes without taking up counterspace. I am not looking for lighting to LIGHT up the cookbook, I just don't want the holder to interfere with the lights that are there to light up the counter. Marcolo - that's what I was worried about. I'm trying to figure out a way to get them to both fit. Similarly, I'm trying to figure out how to mount my undercabinet paper towel holder with UCL at the same time.
    Rikerk - can I ask which one you ordered? I've seen (online) the clear acrylic one that I thought might've been a better bet than the wooden ones, which will probably not be the same color wood as my cabinets.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Or what about something like this from Hafele?
    It is part of a backsplash "system" and is a rack that hangs from the backsplash?
    http://www.hafele.com/us/products/kitchen-backsplash-system-linero.asp

http://www.hafele.com/us/external/catalog/KIB2012V1_html/index.html#?page=104

Or would I be a nut to ruin my backsplash?
    And would it still interfere with the lighting?

• cathy725
    11 years ago

Here's one to check out:
    http://shop.merillat.com/merillat/cookbook.asp?src=search&query=cookbook

You can order it online if it's one you like. I was looking at their pull-down knife rack because I want my rack off the counter in the new kitchen. I'm going to wait because of the aforementioned issues with the cabinet lighting. I may be able to put it under my corner upper cabinet, since it will be wide and deep.

Let us know if it works out--provide pictures!

• rikerk
    11 years ago

l have the clear acyrlic that i ordered from Shrock. Here is what the clear acrylic looks like in the corner area

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rikerk, can you take a closer pic? I can't really make it out? On fact, can you take two? Open and closed? Are you happy with it? Do you have UCL?

Also, how to you like your GE profile micro and oven? I am getting the same ones!

• rikerk
    11 years ago

here it is closed

• rikerk
    11 years ago

here is the photo with the rack out. You can NOT open a regular sized cookbook like the one shown and have it fit side to side. I wish I had known that because it is not worth the money & I really wanted it. My husband hates it & wants it taken down. You can use little cookbooks and individual recipe cards or sheets. I have recently started using Paprika app on my ipad.

Yes, I have under cabinet ligting and the cookbook rack & the lighting do not play nice together.

I love my profile oven & the convection microwave. My microwave is actually an OTR that the contractor built trim around because I wanted to put it in the coffee/breakfast area instead of over the range.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Most of my cookbooks are small binder collections of recipe cards. Opened, they are 19" wide x 10" high. Do you think that would fit?

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here they show it closed

• rikerk
    11 years ago

We do have the undercab lighting installed with the CBH. The light strip is first and then the CBH hardware is installed in back of it. I can't get a picture i tried. The dimensions side to side between the metal is 18 1/4". you could probably spread them out a little further to get your 19". I think the 10" height is no problem. I do like the wooden front on the picture you posted. I haven't looked at the specs yet though. Here is another photo with UCL on with the rack

• rikerk
    11 years ago

Here it is with UCL on with it closed. If you do decide to get one. I would install the lighting first and then play with the CBH

• rikerk
    11 years ago

Here is the DYI instructions for the very picture that you posted. It looks like you could do it using sometype of wooden strip from your cabinet line. I can't paste the link on this ipad. you can email & i can email you the link.

bbuddies1968@aol.com
    Kim

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stupid question - I am pretty short.
    Do you think the reading height and angle will be low enough for me?

• rikerk
    11 years ago

I am 5'3" and it is fine for me if I actually used it....but I never do!