Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcy560_gw

Kraftmaid versus Shiloh

gcy560
11 years ago

We are planning a new construction kitchen cabinetry.
One prominent cabinet store had priced a combination of Shiloh (for kitchen), Sequoia- Shiloh's lower end cabinet (butler/master bath & secondary bath.
We also looked at Kraftmaid for all the cabinets. It has more bells & whistles like utility cabinets/decorative end cabs etc. With promotions, Kraftmaid is about 10% cheaper.
We welcome any suggestions.

Comments (10)

• sandesurf
    11 years ago

Just my two cents: We have Kraftmaid and love them. Got them through Lowe's when they had a sale, plus 18 month free financing. No regrets. Very easy to deal with if any problems too. Our installer accidentely put the pull holes in the wrong place, on one drawer. Lowes guy got us another drawer front with-in a week, for free.
    Good luck and have fun!

• pps7
    11 years ago

I really like my Shiloh inset cabinets, but will say after 2 1/2 years, the painted finish is beginning to show some wear. I don't have anything to compare this to as this is our first painted kitchen. The stained finishes have held up beautifully.

We have the sequoia line in our basement bar. I would be okay to use it in secondary bathroom, but not master or butler's pantry.

We didn't look at kraftmaid.

• Kristen Hallock
    11 years ago

We used Kradtmaid from Home Depot in our last house when we remodeled the kitchen. We choose a shaker style door in natural cherry. The panel on the door was veneer.

I was extremely happy with the cabinets. I will also say that I was kind of picky with the cabinet fronts and there were a few issues with the cabinets. I cant remember now but my husband says the first sink base we got was damaged. They sent us a new one no problems. I also was picky with the drawer and door fronts. Some had white streaky cherry fronts. Which is natural to cherry wood and not really a reason to send them back. But I sent a bunch back and got new ones free of charge. So Kraftmaid was very good about that.

We are remodeling again soon and we will probably go to Lowes first and get a price for Kraftmaid.

• kompy
    11 years ago

Shiloh has plywood construction as a standard....with KraftMaid, there is an upcharge for APC or Plywood ends.

Did you get Shiloh priced INSET or full overlay? Their inset will price out LESS than full overlay right now...so check that out.

They are both good....Shiloh is probably slightly better, apples to apples.

• gcy560
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice. We chose the inset for the kitchen. Shiloh seems very nice. I am a little concerned about Sequoia . Kraft maid seemed to give us a little more choices at a similar price point. We are able to pick a better door /utility cabinets & decorations.
    It is hard to decide.

• Tracy Kristensen
    8 years ago

What did you end up deciding? I am in the same position now. Torn between an inset Shiloh or Kraftmaid. Looking at the white painted finish for both. I am finding about the same price discrepancy-10%, both would have plywood construction for the door on the shiloh is solid wood and the kraftmaid door is a veneer paneled door. I would love any input you have.

• PRO
    Affordable Quality Kitchens & Stone
    8 years ago

I will tell you as a kd I was looking for a new line to bring in for the new year. Shiloh hands down was the absolute best bang for the buck product I could find and i looked at over 10 brands that were all very similar. There construction is strong and the finishes are impeccable. The fact that inset doors are actually cheaper than full overlay was a big deal as I see kitchens trending to inset for the future. Shiloh is a great value and product and built much better than some of the more expensive brands out there.

• PRO
    KraftMaid
    8 years ago

We prefer KraftMaid ;) What did you end up going with? We'd love to see pictures of your kitchen and your family enjoying the past few holidays in it!

• HU-969199671
    2 years ago

I have done kitchens with both. My last kitchen was Kraftmaid (light cherry). We had no problems and Kraftmaid was great about replacing doors that had too much graining, . After 20 years they looked like new, We did that kitchen ourselves and found the installation relatively easy..One lazy susan had a hardware problem after 5 years. Kraftmaid sent new hardware, easy installation

Our latest kitchen is Shiloh, (high end) The cabinets arrived with one damaged during its construction, another with one side lacking the maple hardwood. We had a highly skilled carpenter do the install. It was more difficult than the Kraftmaid. Kraftmaid had more in ca (eg even small cabinets came with shelves). Its hard to tell whether quality has gone downhill overall in cabinet mfg, but if I were doing it again I would go with Kraftmaid.