Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimsters_gw

DuraSupreme Cabinets

aimsters
16 years ago

I am looking at ordering Dura Supreme cabinets (painted and distressed). Is anyone familiar with them and how is their quality? I a little concerned about the paint not holding up as well...

Comments (17)

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

I had them throughout our entire house in MN - used two different lines from them (custom and ??) - had cherry, alder, maple - stained and painted - distressed and not distressed, etc. We absolutely loved them - they were beautifully made, willing to match colors for us, wonderful hardware (inside), incredibly flexible to our plans. Highly recommend them.

• hoffman
    16 years ago

I also have DuraSupreme cabinets & have been very happy with them. Mine are white painted, but not distressed. (I would think the distressing would help hide any wear-and-tear). They have only been in for a few months, so I can't really comment on how the paint holds up over time. There have been several threads on DuraSupreme over the past few months (search at the bottom of the page) and I can't remember any complaints. You can also look in the finished kitchens blog and see kitchens with DuraSupreme cabinets (using the category list).

I'm curious what would make you worry the paint won't hold up "as well" -- did you hear something negative about DuraSupreme? Or are you worried that painted cabinets won't hold up as well as, say, stained cabinets?

• berryberry
    16 years ago

I am curious - for those Dura Supreme owners - do you know what your approximate cost per lineal foot of cabintes worked out to?

Dura supreme is one of three lines / companies we are looking at. They are the first one we rec'd pricing form and I estimate they came in around $400 / lineal foot (excluding installation which seemed to work out to between 15% and 20% of the cabinet price and all other related remodeling / accessory costs). In my mind the overall quote was higher than I expected - so I am curious as we wait to hear from the other two KDs on their pricing (different cabinet lines but in the same quality range)

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

I can tell you first hand that it really depends on where you are in the country - for example, I outfitted my entire 6000 sq ft home in Dura Supreme, some cabinet areas were very very custom, and so when I found myself renovating a 50+ year old home after a sudden move to MA I instinctively went to the local shop that carries Dura - my kitchen is large but not huge and I have NO uppers - would you believe that the bid I got in MA for the kitchen cabs was nearly THREE TIMES the price I paid for the cabinets in my ENTIRE home in MA?? So, what I'm saying is that it's hard to compare.....

• hoffman
    16 years ago

mnhockeymom -- I believe DuraSupreme is based in MN, so that may be why you got such a better price there (no transportation costs).

berryberry -- I am in NJ so things are very expensive here. I paid $20,000 for my cabinets (not including installation) which I know will sound like a lot to many people but we were satisfied with the price/value equation. Mine are the Crestwood (semi-custom) line and they are white painted which is considered a premium finish. I'm not sure how many linear feet I have, but my counters are 49 sq. ft. and we have both upper & lower cabinets, if that helps with the comparison. The original quote was much less (around $15k, I think) and went up substantially once I added all the bells & whistles (e.g., beveled glass doors on two upper cabinets, decorative panels on all end cabinets, extra & fancier molding, double decker silverware drawer, spice pullout, light rail, one 18" deep upper cabinet, extra shelves & dividers, etc.) As a benchmark, I also got quotes on Merrillat and KitchenCraft cabinets which were in the $12k - $13K range compared to the original $15K DuraSupreme quote.

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

I think DuraSupreme are fabulous cabinets - on the cusp of the highend (such as Woodmode). I looked at them too, and really liked them, but the company that carries them is in a super high end area of town and charges way more for labor, etc, than the company we went with (a smaller company that has done great work for us and has been a joy to have in the house for 3 months - their cabinet line is Hertco - odd name but apparently stands for the names of the people who founded the company back in Washington State). I would have easily gone with the DuraSupreme cabs, though, and know I would have been very happy.

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

hoffman - you're totally right, they are based in MN but I still couldn't swallow 65+ sq ft of cabs at over $100,000 when my entire house in MN (cabinets for: 2 kitchens, 6 bathrooms, 3 offices, 2 entertainment rooms, wet bar, mudroom, and laundry) were in the $30,000's! Sadly, Dura was the "middle" of all the bids I got....thankfully I found a wonderful custom company in southern MA that gave me everything I wanted and left me my right arm!!

• berryberry
    16 years ago

hoffman - thanks - well our quote is a few thousand over your $20K - and I estimate we have about 50 sq ft of counter space - so we probably are in the same ballpark sizewise. Our price does include all the bells and whistles.

mnhockeymom - thanks for the info - that is indeed a huge disparity

well, I will know more when I hopefully get prices from the other two cabinet lines in the next few days. We think the quality of all 3 lines we are looking at our comparable and in line with what we want. Thanks

• itsallaboutthefood
    10 years ago

I have had my DuraSupreme cabinets now for about 2 years. I love them! I have stained lyptus wood and painted (not distressed) white maple. Both are holding up very well. I think I paid about $23k for my 12 foot x 20 foot? kitchen...not exactly sure. It was mostly crestwood and 1 custom piece (during a sale so the painted finish and lyptus was not an upgrade).

The paint cleans up very well and I don't see any issues at all with wear and tear.

I did notice some raw edges on the dovetail drawers and a corner piece of a few of the dovetail drawers did break off (probably during shipment). After my initial response of disappointment in not getting absolute perfection (which I did not pay for....that would have been a fully custom, higher end or hand made line)...I realized that it did not affect the integrity of the drawer and in the scheme of things, was unimportant (to me). We did have 1 minor problem with the stain on a bookcase which Dura Supreme fixed promptly and to my satisfaction. I did not ask them to fix the raw edges (no one will every see of feel that) or the small corner pieces (I glued them back in with some wood glue myself).

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Had cherry Dura Supreme installed in my kitchen gut job 15 years ago. The quality is excellent. Honestly, they look as good as the day they were installed.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Had cherry Dura Supreme installed in my kitchen gut job 15 years ago. The quality is excellent. Honestly, they look as good as the day they were installed.
    We updated with stainless steel appliances a few years ago.
    We are selling our house, the appraiser thought it was a new kitchen.

This post was edited by zorroslw on Thu, Dec 25, 14 at 17:10

• breyering
    8 years ago

I put in some beautiful kitchen Dura Supreme off white cabinets. After 3 months of use the kitchen drawers and cabinets near the handles started to bubble. It's really bad. The rep came out and they are replacing the front drawers and a few of the cabinets but he seemed to say I must of had wet hands when I used them. I had previous cabinets for 35 years and they never did that. The wood is very soft. I am not sure how these replacements are going to hold up. Not sure I would get these again???

• dragonsun
    8 years ago

I've installed both stained (cherry wood, dark stain) and painted (maple, light gray). The dark stained cabinets are installed in a master bath. They knick very easily. A friend suggested I purchase some Mohawk wood pencils that are used by furniture refinishers to touch up furniture. I'm going to try that. The touch-up kit that came with the cabinets is similar to a bottle of finger nail polish, and I don't think it looks good when painted on the cabinet.

The painted cabinets looked beautiful when they arrived, but after installation I noted 56 scratches, dings, and spots where the paint knicked off. The wood seems very soft, and I am really concerned at how the finish will wear in a kitchen area that gets a lot of traffic. Our kitchen is pretty small, maybe 12*15. They are very sturdy cabinets and built well - there is some inconsistency is door and drawer sizes so some areas look a little off, like a set of drawers in which one drawer is slightly longer than another, or two cabinet doors that shut, but one is slightly longer than the other. I did not purchase custom cabinets, but I haven't had this issue with similar renovations in previous homes.

• theadgepath
    8 years ago

Not worth the money.

The kitchen designer had made a couple mistakes when
    designing the kitchen. The additional parts to correct his errors were
    outrageously priced. Particle board construction with solid wood face frames
    but much of the particle board was already cracked upon arrival. Many of the
    corner and reinforcement blocks fell off as they didn't hit them with the
    finish nails. I had to remove the door
    and remount it on the lazy susan as there was no way to get it adjusted
    correctly. Many of my doors have warped. One which is just a face frame that
    holds glass in the corner cabinets has cracked at the joint. I do not live in an
    arid or humid climate and we use a humidifier and dehumidifier. Durasupreme
    says they only have a one year warranty on warpage so we're out of luck unless
    we want to pay $269 for a face frame with no glass and over $300 for a pantry
    door that may do it again. I will never ever use them in my home or any of the
    commercial buildings I manage.

• dlg71261
    last year

Can I ask what type of painted door did you get ? HDF or wood? In the process of working with kitchen designer who is suggesting the painted HDF. Not sure what to go with

• dlg71261
    9 months ago

And did anyone upgrade their drawers to premium dovetailed all maple construction drawer box ? Or use the hardwood with furniture dovetail drawer box which is included in pricing

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company