Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attn: Oldryer

Posted by wi-sailorgirl (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 0:04

I so appreciate you sharing your knowledge of countertop fabrication on this forum and it's always nice to hear a professional opinion.

I was wondering how much material is lost during fabrication, specifically on quartz (if there is a difference in materials). We're able to get all of our counters out of one slab of quartz but the initial quote (given via email so I've not had a chance to discuss this with them yet) from the fabricator said there would be two seams. I mocked up a layout that would have just one seam that I'll be talking to them about, but since we really are using every bit of this slab, there isn't a lot of room to spare. For instance, in order to make my layout work, I need an L-shaped piece in which the short end is 54.5 inches on the 56-inch side of slab. Is that even possible (assuming the slab actually IS 56 inches wide, which I understand is not always the case)?

And can they cut two pieces sharing a cut?

I will, of course, discuss this with the fabricator but I like to be armed with information before these discussions. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attn: Oldryer

wi-sailorgirl: the usable slab is usually a good inch less than the slab dimension due to a poor finish on the very perimeter of the slab. Fabricators deal with this by cutting the parts so that the poor edge is covered by splash.

How the fabricator can cut depends on his equipment. If he has a waterjet he can squeeze a little more on a slab particularly if there are "L" pieces.

Ask the fabricator for a drawing showing your parts laid out on a slab. It'll be clear very quickly what will work. If you want to try it yourself get some graph paper and make a very accurate drawing. don't forget the 1/8" or so lost to the sawing operation.

your actual slab size depends on the brand. most are 120 X 55" with usable 119 X 54". Caesartstone slabs are more like 120 X 55". Silestone has many colors in jumbo slabs that are 128 X 63 with 122 X 62" typically usable.

as you can see there are a lot of variables. this doesn't even count what small additional amounts may be required for your parts because your walls are out of square (which they almoast certainly are!)

good luck. you are asking the questions up front instead of after everything is done.

o
RE: Attn: Oldryer

What excellent information. Thank you so much! It's very helpful to have a little background before talking to them about it.

And I'm positive my walls are out of square. I don't think there is a square wall or a level floor to be found in this house!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here