Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sheen on painted cabinets

Posted by meek95 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 0:00

We are going with painted white cabinets but need to decide on the gloss level. Can anyone make a recommendation on satin finish vs. semi-gloss?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sheen on painted cabinets

We have satin. I think it's enough shine and shows less than semi-gloss...

Mine aren't really paint though. The cab maker sprayed a catalyzed lacquer and then clear over it.

DSC00545 photo file_zps8201bc33.jpg

DSC00540 photo file_zps71c3eb2b.jpg

o

My cabinet maker does what he calls a #40 or a #60 sheen for a less shiny finish. I saw a kitchen at the Mart that had such a high gloss on it, that it looked like plastic. Did not like that at all.

o

Mine are satin, painted with BM Satin Impervo Waterborne. I love the subtle glow they have without being shiny.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Thanks for the pics and info. Ours will be lacquered also, the cabinet maker mentioned a 40 finish. Most of the photos I see seem to be a satin finish (I definitely do not want a high gloss). There are some days I just don't want to make another decision. Next up is plywood vs. melamine boxes/shelves. You two have some beautiful cabinets, I hope mine look as nice. Fishies, I've been admiring your reveal. You definitely put a lot of thought into your kitchen.

o

Less sheen the better- we use 35 sheen in our lacquer and by the time all of the coats are on it looks perfect. Not too shiny.

o

BrezzyGirl - Were your cabinets sprayed or brushed? Did you do them onsite? Do you see any brush marks?

Thanks!

Jeri

o

Hi Jeri. My cabs were sprayed before arrival. My cab maker's painter gave us a sample door in the color we first considered where she brushed the paint. The look was horrible--I think my then 4-year old could have done better. She claimed it was just a quick sample to show the color, but we didn't take the chance. Now, I worry about how it will look touching up the couple of little nicks I have in the paint. I love the cleanly sprayed, perfect finish they are now.

I spoke with a woman a couple of weeks ago who saw my kitchen on GW and is hiring my cab maker. My cab maker gave her my phone number so I could act as a reference. She mentioned that my cab maker is now using a cat lacquer finish instead of actual paint. That will hold up better, but it's too late for my kitchen. At least my upcoming family room built-ins will be lacquered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here