Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leela4

KAW: Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette

leela4
10 years ago

We were in WI for Christmas with DD1 and her family. The night we arrived, the 22nd, she made this. I couldn't wait to try it myself when we got home, so I invited friends over and had at it.
First the crust, made the day before:

All rolled out and pretty:

Then the onions:

The squash:

Sage:

One of my friends is sensitive to dairy, so I used this cheese instead of fontina:

All ready to go:

I forgot to take an after ''baked'' photo until one of my friends suggested it, but it had already been cut:

It was delicious, (if I do say so myself), but not quite as good as having it before Christmas, at DD's house, with 6 y/o twin grandchildren all excited about Christmas.
The recipe was adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman.

Comments (17)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

That looks yummy! Please share the recipe!!!

• withoutanh
    10 years ago

If that's the recipe from Smitten Kitchen, I've made it for Thanksgiving the past 2 years (I am the vegetarian entree cook). I've also served it at a baby shower. It tastes every bit as good as it looks. Next time, I am going to add chopped walnuts on top.

The crust, with sour cream, is superbly flaky.

Enjoy! Sara

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I found the recipe for the galette !

Here is a link that might be useful: butternut squash galette

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Oh, that looks yummy! I don't cook much squash because I don't know how to use it. This looks like a great way to add some into our menu, and DH will be thrilled it has all those nice onions.

Thanks for sharing!

• silken1
    10 years ago

I made this last night pretty much as the recipe instructed except I had plain Greek yogurt which I used in place of the sour cream. I am serving it this afternoon when some friends come over. It looks and smells wonderful and I think it will taste the same. Thanks for your post as I think I will be making this again!

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

That looks wonderful...and it reminded me of a lovely place in Paris that serves Gallettes and hard cider. Yum!

• leela4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

withoutanh-Oh, adding walnuts to the top sounds wonderful. I do love walnuts . . . I, too, am the vegetarian entree cook for any Thanksgiving dinner we go to so I thought this would be good for that as well.

I did tweak the original recipe some-mainly in the crust I used some spelt flour and used Wallaby European style sour cream, although I'm sure yogurt works just fine as well. I just looked at The Smitten Kitchen site and I sure wish my photos made my efforts look as good as hers do! (I guess that's why I'm not writing a recipe blog).

I'm always grateful when I see recipes (with photos!) on this site so I'm glad this was appreciated.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

That looks luscious! I love Winter squash dishes but am not patient at cooking them!

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

I am totally making this tomorrow!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I might be, too!!!

• silken1
    10 years ago

I served mine this afternoon and it was wonderfully robust tasting and the pastry divine!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

That looks wonderful! I'm putting it on the list for this week.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Oh my ... time to break out the food processor for the crust.

That looks amazing.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Finally making it--it's in the oven as I type!

I subbed a sprinkle of fresh thyme for the sage and dusted the squash with a scant bit of freshly grated nutmeg (and used way less cayenne!).

Smells yummy as it's baking! Will post some pics later!!!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Ready for the oven:

Ready to EAT!

Thanks for sharing this one leela4!!! DH and I absolutely loved it. It was tough not devouring the entire thing tonight! :)

• leela4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cat_mom-I know what you mean. It's a little rich, but such a delicious combination of flavors and textures that's it's hard not to just keep eating it. Just a little sliver here, there . . .

• deedles
    10 years ago

Wow, these look good! That crust looks like it could hold a whole lot of different delicious things, too.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz