Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
KAW: Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette

Posted by leela4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 23:54

We were in WI for Christmas with DD1 and her family. The night we arrived, the 22nd, she made this. I couldn't wait to try it myself when we got home, so I invited friends over and had at it.
First the crust, made the day before:
 photo c6d034a7-d12c-4800-8a5f-18f183da640f_zps9bb4cde1.jpg
All rolled out and pretty:
 photo IMG_0804_zpsc9c26962.jpg
Then the onions:
 photo IMG_0798_zpsbfbd71da.jpg
The squash:
 photo IMG_0800_zps5c45ec99.jpg
Sage:
 photo IMG_0803_zps8a4e0d51.jpg
One of my friends is sensitive to dairy, so I used this cheese instead of fontina:
 photo IMG_0802_zps011c7e09.jpg
 photo IMG_0801_zpsfe568d10.jpg
All ready to go:
 photo IMG_0805_zps36041e9d.jpg
I forgot to take an after ''baked'' photo until one of my friends suggested it, but it had already been cut:
 photo IMG_0809_zps92d58b29.jpg
It was delicious, (if I do say so myself), but not quite as good as having it before Christmas, at DD's house, with 6 y/o twin grandchildren all excited about Christmas.
The recipe was adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KAW: Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette

That looks yummy! Please share the recipe!!!

o

If that's the recipe from Smitten Kitchen, I've made it for Thanksgiving the past 2 years (I am the vegetarian entree cook). I've also served it at a baby shower. It tastes every bit as good as it looks. Next time, I am going to add chopped walnuts on top.

The crust, with sour cream, is superbly flaky.

Enjoy! Sara

o

I found the recipe for the galette !

Here is a link that might be useful: butternut squash galette

o

Oh, that looks yummy! I don't cook much squash because I don't know how to use it. This looks like a great way to add some into our menu, and DH will be thrilled it has all those nice onions.

Thanks for sharing!

o

I made this last night pretty much as the recipe instructed except I had plain Greek yogurt which I used in place of the sour cream. I am serving it this afternoon when some friends come over. It looks and smells wonderful and I think it will taste the same. Thanks for your post as I think I will be making this again!

o

That looks wonderful...and it reminded me of a lovely place in Paris that serves Gallettes and hard cider. Yum!

o

withoutanh-Oh, adding walnuts to the top sounds wonderful. I do love walnuts . . . I, too, am the vegetarian entree cook for any Thanksgiving dinner we go to so I thought this would be good for that as well.

I did tweak the original recipe some-mainly in the crust I used some spelt flour and used Wallaby European style sour cream, although I'm sure yogurt works just fine as well. I just looked at The Smitten Kitchen site and I sure wish my photos made my efforts look as good as hers do! (I guess that's why I'm not writing a recipe blog).

I'm always grateful when I see recipes (with photos!) on this site so I'm glad this was appreciated.

o

That looks luscious! I love Winter squash dishes but am not patient at cooking them!

o

I am totally making this tomorrow!

o

I might be, too!!!

o

I served mine this afternoon and it was wonderfully robust tasting and the pastry divine!

o

That looks wonderful! I'm putting it on the list for this week.

o

Oh my ... time to break out the food processor for the crust.

That looks amazing.

o

Finally making it--it's in the oven as I type!

I subbed a sprinkle of fresh thyme for the sage and dusted the squash with a scant bit of freshly grated nutmeg (and used way less cayenne!).

Smells yummy as it's baking! Will post some pics later!!!

o

Ready for the oven:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ready to EAT!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Thanks for sharing this one leela4!!! DH and I absolutely loved it. It was tough not devouring the entire thing tonight! :)

o

cat_mom-I know what you mean. It's a little rich, but such a delicious combination of flavors and textures that's it's hard not to just keep eating it. Just a little sliver here, there . . .

o

Wow, these look good! That crust looks like it could hold a whole lot of different delicious things, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here