Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How wide are your Shaker rails?

Posted by Maria33904 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 23:42

I have decided to go with Shaker cabinets in my new kitchen. The door sample my KD gave me have 3 inch wide rails and to me it looks wider than most other Shaker cabinets I've seen but she seemed to think that's normal. Is 3 inch rails a wider style and do you think that could make a somewhat small kitchen look heavy/clumpsy? How wide are your rails? Pictures would be awsome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How wide are your Shaker rails?

Not sure what you consider a small kitchen but mine is only 11x12. The styles and rails on my cabinet are 2-1/4 inches.
Here is an overall shot of my cabinets:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And a closer up shot:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

2 1/4'' wide rails and stiles are traditional. The wider rails & stiles have a more modern vibe.

o

Mine are 2-3/8.

o

Maria--Below is a thread on this very topic from a couple of weeks ago. Lots of pics and discussion!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on shaker stiles and rails

o

Here is a picture of a kitchen from the Chicago Mart. The stiles on it are 3" on the top and sides and 4" on the bottom. I love it and am modeling my cabinets after this look. The doors were also a full one inch thick. With inset doors, a full 3/4" thickness would work just as well. I think it gives a more farmhouse look. The hardware is really what sets the look too. The hardware on the picture is a little heavy looking to me and more modern. I am going to use bin pulls and thumb latches.
Photobucket

o

Seems like most people opt for the more narrow/traditional look.
Badgergal, thank you for posting pictures. I've seen your kitchen in other threads, it's gorgeous!
My KD said the sample door I got with the 3 inch rails is the most common style and if I wanted 2 1/4 inch rails it would be a special order (which sounds expensive). That doesn't sound right to me. Should be the other way around.
Breezygirl, thank you for that link. It was very helpful!

o

Ours are 2 3/16"

o

My drawer rails are 1.5" and stiles are 2.25". Wouldn't have much room for hardware on top drawers if the rails were the same width as the stiles. Door rails and stiles are both 2.25".

o

Mine are 2-1/4"

o

I have 3 inch in my laundry room and they do seem a bit more modern than the smaller but not chunky or clumsy. If you have a lot of narrow doors in your kitchen then the 3 inch may look too thick.

LR004

o

I had a KD telling me the same thing, but it really was a more modern, chunky look than I wanted in my little kitchen. We ended up with a slightly different design, different company, with 2"ish rails and a slight detail on the inside edge to soften it a little. It probably wouldn't be called Shaker anymore due to that, but I love it (being installed currently).

o

3 1/2 inches here. Curious, my kitchen is not modern.

o

Wider stiles to me are more vintage looking than modern. Narrow stiles tend to be more contemporary looking IMHO.
Pirula do you have pictures of your kitchen?

o

I should have said overlay with 3 inch tends to look more modern, but really it all is in how they are combined with other elements. Typically the older kitchens were slimmer or were not shaker style at all .

o

Mine are 2 3/8 on the doors, but the drawer stiles are 1 1/4, so there is room for hardware.

Nancy

o

You might want to check out this thread from earlier this month... similar discussion with lots of pics for comparison.

Here is a link that might be useful: shaker styles (stiles!?)

o

Thank you so much for all your responses! They have been very helpful.

o

quiltgirl, here are some pictures of our kitchen....
 photo IMG_6978.jpg

photo IMG_6973.jpg

o

I've been wondering the same thing. Can some of you who responded post pictures of yours?

This blogger chose 3" said it's not as common
http://www.mariakillam.com/2012/05/marias-kitchen-details.html

A few pics of her finished kitchen. Would like to see more of the cabs from different angles without the Xmas decor and photo staging do-dads.
http://www.mariakillam.com/2012/12/marias-christmas-white-kitchen-before-after.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here