Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

Cabinet layout comment/suggestions

aries61
13 years ago

Planning on redoing the kitchen and looking for comments and suggestions. I'm attaching one layout with wall renderings and the second does not have any. It's not a large kitchen.Next to the refrigerator there is a doorway to the foyer. On the left blank wall there is a window and opening into the family room. There are a few tweaks that I've already see, but open to comments. The ceiling height is 8'.

Current kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

Layout number one:

{{!gwi}}

Renderings:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Layout number two:

{{!gwi}}

The cabinet quotes are coming in around $5000 to $6000 range with all plywood construction. Have not completely settled on a cabinet line either.

Comments (8)

• Buehl
    13 years ago

There's not much to say. I'd rather see more space b/w the sink and corner to give you more prep space, but with the window where it is and I'm assuming you want the sink in front of the window, there's not much you can do about it from what I'm able to see right now...

You didn't completely draw/include the other walls & doors to give us an idea of the total space... Is there anything else in the kitchen (like a table)? I'll need to see the entire space as well as a general layout of the first floor (or whatever floor the kitchen is on) to be able to give you more specific feedback.

The "Layout Help" topic in the "Read Me" thread describes the information we need to help you.

HTH & Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• katsmah
    13 years ago

How big is your current corner cabinet? I have a 33" and its a little tight getting items in and out. Its good for secondary storage of less used pots and small appliances, but if it was my only storage for those items I would want 36".

What is the 1 1/2 filler in the 2nd set of plans? Is that for spice storage?

Why did the cabinet between the stove and refrigerator shrink to 15" in the 2nd plan?

• kitchendesigntips
    13 years ago

Both of the layouts are ok design wise, but it seems as if you're lacking counterspace.

My suggestion? You have enough space in the kitchen to put in a kitchen island. Not only will this increase the amount of countertop space, but you'll also be adding much needed cabinet space as well.

Since your cabinets are quite narrow, an island would allow for larger cabinets to store either larger pots and pans, and any appliances that you would normally keep out on the countertops, once again giving you more space on your countertops.

What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Island Ideas

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Until we get more information, we don't know if there is or is not enough room for an island.

• aries61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To answer a few questions:
    buehl - I've attached a layout of the 1st floor as requested and a layout of the kitchen the way it is now with some more dimensions. Currently there is no table in the kitchen. I have one in the family room.

katsmah - Current corner cabinet is 36". layout 1 has a 33" corner and layout 2 has a 36" corner.The 1 1/2 filler is just a filler. One of the reasons the cabinet shrunk is because using a larger corner cabinet and the 1st plan, the designer actually used to much space which needs to be adjusted. I'm not a big fan of the corner cabinet, but limited on what can be done in the corner.

Layout of the 1st floor
    {{!gwi}}

Layout of current kitchen with more dimensions
    {{!gwi}}

Thanks for the comments. They are appreciated. Keep them coming.

• aries61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've posted additional information as requested, but have not heard any additional comments. Maybe the post go buried to deep.

Visited my sister last night and she thinks that I should put in an island too since there really no room for a table. I currently have a table in my family room at the end by the door and patio doors. The family is a large space so it's not an issue to put a table there.

• tracie.erin
    13 years ago

I would try to fit a work island (no seating) parallel to the range wall to give you more work space. You have 134" across that wall. 134" minus 25.5" for perimeter cabs & counter overhang minus 27" for island & 2 counter overhangs = 81.5" to be split between both walkways. I would do at least a 42" aisle on the workspace side and leave the rest for the window side, but not less than 36" so kitchen visitors can mill around comfortably.

Alternatively, if you wanted/needed seating, you could do a freestanding island height work table. You would not get as much storage but you would still get the work space.

Here is a link that might be useful: NKBA Kitchen Guidelines (industry standards)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

The island is a great idea, especially with seating, but may be a little tight. Have you ever thought about using that third wall for more cabinet space?

I don't know what your budget is, but if possible, you could put the sink and dishwasher under the other window...or leave it as is and make a prep/baking area in that location. This might not be want you want, but just trying to come up with other ideas :)