Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucretzia_gw

Are 12' deep cabinets with inset doors deep enough?

lucretzia
14 years ago

I was reading on another post that 12" depth on upper inset cabinets was not large enough for average size dishes.

Does anyone have experience with this? Do I need to reorder my cabinets? Please help before it's too late.

Thanks and apologies if this shows up again. I posted this and it seemed to have disappeared.

Comments (9)

• chris11895
    14 years ago

You should measure your dishes and that will give you the answer. If you're buying new dishes then go to a Crate and Barrel or some place similar and see what size the plates you like are. Hope that helps!

• lascatx
    14 years ago

My plates would not fit. Nor would some of my small appliances and other things. Make sure you subtract the depth of the door (probably 3/4") and the back -- you probably have no more than 11" on the interior, maybe a little less and you don't want the plates or whatever touching front and back.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

I measured my bowls and platters and the other things that I would like to keep there, and decided that 14'' is way more practical.

• pps7
    14 years ago

I was worried about this so I brought my plates to the diplay to see if they would fit. They did and I have large plates. I have very few uppers and tons of storage otherwise so it wasn't a big issue for me. I would measure or better yet try it out in a display.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

If you have the money for the upcharge and time to change the order, then if I were you, I would just change the order! If only I had realized, in advance, that a gift of lovely but larger than 10" dinner plates would not fit within the interior of my inset, glass door cabs! And no one on my team mentioned to me that this issue could possibly arise -- not the KD, ID or GC! Sigh. From the advice I've since seen on this forum, many members suggest an upper cab depth for dishes of between 13.5 and 15." Good luck.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

We have inset cabinets and my dinner plates didn't fit in my uppers...sigh. Inexperienced cabinet maker...they were all custom! :(

The outside of my uppers measure 12 1/4'' from the wall. The inside dimension is only 10 1/2'' exactly. Most dinner plates are 11''.

If I had overlay doors, I'd have an extra 3/4'' of space. That is the thickness of my doors that are inset into the frame.

The only other thing I can think of that didn't fit in my uppers that I used to keep in there were a few larger bowls (like salad bowls). I keep those in my dining buffet now along with all of my china.

I bought new every day dishes that have a 10 1/2'' dinner plate (although in reality they are just a tad smaller) and so they fit perfectly in the uppers.

I'm with Marthavila, that 13 1/2'' would be a minimum for plates to fit. If were doing it again, I'd probably go with 14''.

Hope this help...I'd change your order! Good luck! :)

• lucretzia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh! I was clueless. Thank you so much and I hope it is not too late to change.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I was too :) But to be honest, 12" overlay aren't deep enough for many dishes. I went with a tiny upcharge to 15' deep uppers...I'll never hav anything else. My cabs in alaska are inset and you wouldn't notice the 15" until you notice the function...they're wonderful.

I wouldn't do 12" anything...go fifteen..it's a revolution and you need to jump on board!

• marcy96
    14 years ago

When I was researching cabinets, a KD told me that with inset cabinets, you want to make the uppers at least 13" deep to account for the loss of the overlay door.