Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Design Around This #13: French Country

sochi
12 years ago

Surely everyone must love French Country? Come on, give it a try! Beginners and the merely curious are especially welcome.

Your concept or mood board should try to be cohesive, contextual and realistic budget wise (given the house).

Give a rationale for why you choose the pieces that you did.

Your design should work in the house you select (a particular challenge with this DAT theme I think).

Accept criticism and please remember to critique others. You don't always have to praise the ideas put forward.

I've pasted a link to the thread "About Design Around This Threads" for further information on getting started, creating boards, etc.

French Country

After reading a few articles on-line and happily flipping through dozens of pages of photos, I think I've learned a few things about French Country.

A few of the themes that most immediately jump out at me: texture, and lots of it. Distressed wood, metal, wrought iron, concrete. Routine use of fabric. Toile. Bright cheerful colours - but many spaces with very white walls, ceilings, tables. Colourful tile. Lots going on with the ceiling - wooden beams, white painted boards, etc. Stone. Antique furnishings. Rustic, weathered surfaces. Inviting, casual. Flowers. Lots of weathered highly textured accessories - pots, spoons, flower pots, bowls. La Cornue ranges (actually, I didn't come across too many of these, but they are gorgeous).

If you go to google images and type "French Country Kitchen" you will get quite a few North American interpretations of French Country. Some lovely, others veering quite close to those Tuscan-American kitchens we looked at some weeks ago. The one thing I found most jarring about the American-French country spaces were how smooth and polished they all are. Perfect, organized, gleaming marble and orderly cabinetry. Everything "just so." This is not what you see typically when you search for real French country kitchens. Go to google.fr and through images search for " des cuisines de compagne". Some of the nicest kitchen images link you to French magazines like Cote Maison and Cote Sud, you could spend hours going through pictures.

Here are some pictures to get you in the mood:

Whose kitchen do these tiles remind you of?

And my favourite:

Here is a link that might be useful: About

Comments (102)

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOL Pal, I like skeletons too, but that did make me laugh out loud!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Pal- Ick

Look what happens, when you do that... {{gwi:1638312}}From Kitchen plans

• harrimann
    12 years ago

I'm going all out with the flooring, and keeping everything else sort of simple.

Copper hood, big white tiles on the walls (all the way to the ceiling), wood cabinets on the sink wall with integrated pulls, white quartz countertop:

Colorful tile floor, big rustic farmhouse table in the center of the room, unfitted hutch for dishes and cutlery:

For the range wall, I'm picturing a colorful range flanked by two wood topped workbenches (like photo #10 in the first post).

• sochi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay Mudhouse, I tried. Still not as good as yours, but I put a little more effort into my Olio'boarding. What a time suck! I gave up from sheer exhaustion trying to perfect my open shelving, but I think you get the general idea. I like the bracket I found.

I wouldn't have two identical paintings IRL, but I liked the symmetry in the DR.

Pal - thanks for the cabinet recommendations, I found a number of interesting cabs at Walzcraft.

I tried to design a more American-like French country space here. I think it could work in houses similar to the ones Pal has pictured. A little on the expensive side, starting with La Cornue.

Here are the credits for a few of the items:

La Cornue
    Chandelier - The Designer Insider
    Backsplash - Ann Sacks
    Pottery - Derby Pottery, Alan and Janet Mayfield
    Cabinets - Walzcraft
    Painting - Joseph Plaskett "Still Life with Delphinium"

• sochi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh and the blue(ish) countertop is Icestone.

I know the carpet and backsplash esp. are fairly modern, but I was trying to pick up on the large round open flowers in the fabric. I like the flower pattern in the brackets too. Flowers=French country, n'est-ce pas?

• sochi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pal I love that blue loft kitchen with French sensibilities. Fantastic.

Just noticed that we picked the same fixtures a few posts up. And that Mtnrdredux owns it. Small world.

Mcmjilly, I love the floors. I wanted to do something like that. Only other comment would be that your cabs seem a little too modern for the other fixtures perhaps?

Lavender, I love all the pieces you choose. Too much rooster perhaps?? :)

Cawaps, great kitchen. Love the zinc.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Sochi- I prefer bunnies to roosters...but I put those in, for Pal. Honestly, I based 'Debbie's friend' who gave her the canisters, on Pal's apparent love of roosters :)

• dee850
    12 years ago

Ok, total n00b here... Even after looking at all the previous designs and a million photos online, I'm not sure this is exactly French country, but it was fun to do. Olioboard is going to be a new addiction (thanks, mudhouse!)

My approach on this was to try to do a relatively low-budget DIY-able thing, average appliances and nothing high-end.

The stuff:
    Martha Stewart cabinets from Home Depot, Seal Harbor door in "ocean floor"
    Armstrong vinyl tile floor, Alabaster Travertine
    Ikea butcher block counters, stained
    Danze Opulence faucet
    Villa Lagoon encaustic tile backsplash
    Frigidaire Gallery slide-in range
    Sears range hood
    Amerock Allison value pulls
    Ikea lack open shelves
    BM lemon chiffon paint
    Waverly Country House red toile fabric
    and the obligatory rooster, a print found on Etsy :)

I'm sorry to say I won't be much use on critiquing others' designs. I'm paying close attention, but they all look so good!

• cawaps
    12 years ago

Comments

Pal #1, Green Demolitions: I love the way all these elements work together. I like the wallpaper, although I agree it could be too much if used everywhere.

Pps7: I agree with kitschyKitch that the mosaic is beautiful but too elegant for a country kitchen, French or otherwise. But I think all the rest of the elements work very well together.

Pal #2, blue/gray: The gingham rug is cute. Overall, I prefer the color and mood of your first one more than this one, but I can't seen to articulate why.

Sochi, wine country lavender: Nice mix of lavender and gray. I can see that the patchwork would work if you could get the colors right.

Pal#3, Georgetown house: The colors in this one are very soothing, and I like the chickens (I generally have mixed feelings about them). The color of the floor seems a bit off to me.

Lavender Lass: That baker's rack is great. I like the various elements together, although (IMO) the rooster valance is a bit over the top).

Mudhouse French Creole: You do have a great way of presenting your designs. I love the layering of the different yellows and blues with the copper.

Mcmjilly: Great floor. I'd like to see what range you would choose.

Sochi blue: Nice job with Olioboard. I like the blues in this one. What a pretty range! I really like the combination of colors and elements.

Dee850: Congratulations on your first mood board! I don't know if it is French Country either, but I especially like your backsplash and dining area. Great curtains!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

General observations:

The trend continues where the designs are getting more specific and less transitional.

Lots of blue kitchens.

Sochi's, Lavender's, Mudhouse's Cawap's Dee's and maybe even Jilly's kitchens would work with ...
    Harvest Gold or Avocado appliances.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Yeah, they are less transitional because I haven't had time to do any kitchens! I usually try to throw some transitional ideas in these threads, because I'd like to show that your "typical" renovator who likes Pottery Barn can still do a decent kitchen in a particular style.

Although what I wanted to do for this thread is a really rustic look. Something RH-ish, perhaps.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

Pal, I looked at green appliances, but didn't find any that were quite right. Avocado might have worked.

On the subject of colored appliances, I agree with Mudhouse's rant about not being able to find lower-end colored appliances. In real life, I've always compromised for what was affordable in terms of appliances. In these threads, when I'm not explicitly constraining my budget, I often go for the colored appliances and I think it makes a huge difference in the final look. I might reconsider my real-life approach the next time I have to replace an appliance.

Regarding being more specific and less transitional, some of that, for me, is doing a better job of doing my homework. But I also think the more of these you do, you more you want to change things up so they don't all look alike.

My personal tastes run to transitional. For me, Shaker cabs are the happy medium between slab (too stark) and raised panel (too overwrought). But they don't say French Country to me at all.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

This one is kind of dear to my heart.

I was lucky enough to spend my junior year of college in the south of France. Occasionally I'd go home with my roommates. They were from a very tiny village in the region that the book _A Year in Provence_ takes place in. Their father was the village baker and their mom was the patissiere.

They had two houses; one was attached to the bakery, and had a very plain, old, completely non-decorated kitchen with a table in the middle. Sitting at that table, I was treated to the revelation that is fresh asparagus, perfectly cooked and served with butter. Before that, I never knew asparagus didn't require boiling for an hour. I am not making this up. In that kitchen, I also helped their mother construct a croquembouche.

Their other house was a small "villa" down the road with an authentic French country kitchen. The kitchen was a combination of white and wood, and quite plain. Small run-of-the-mill range that produced THE most amazing Christmas eve meal I've ever had in my life. French doors opened onto a patio where their mom served us lunch when I returned many years later with DH for a visit. Lunch consisted mainly of a salad lightly dressed with a hot potato cut up into it. So simple, and so good that 18 years later, we are still making that dish.

So for me, French country is not about roosters and checked fabric, but about excellent and simple ingredients (whether cooking or decorating) done superbly well.

Oh, and all those Betty Lou Phillips books about French decorating? NOT FRENCH. The French people I know would howl with laughter over them. The essence of real French country design is carefully put together to look simple and unfussy.

So in that spirit, I present my re-imagined version of the kitchen of Mme. Marie-France Lerisse of Cleon d'Andran, France, transported to a small vacation home in the Poconos.

Floors: French limestone tile
    Range: White Lacanche Cormatin
    Armoire: "This old thing? Picked it up at the antique shop 'round the corner."
    I didn't add a light fixture because I couldn't find anything I liked. But it would be extremely practical, unfussy and definitely not RH.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Pal: I can't see any of your pictures! WAH! They all say something about exceeding bandwith and too many views! What's happening?

I haven't had time to try my hand at this...and it's something I know nothing about. But I am very much enjoying the vicarious thrills.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Anna- Nice kitchen! That looks so rustic, cozy and very french. As nice as the kitchen is...I want to thank you for the salad/potato idea. Sounds wonderful :)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I think my first three are really the American versions of French, almost like Tuscamerican, although I think the faux french is more palatable to me. I did the loft french after I looked at the inspirations again which are awfully contemporary in some respects.

Marcolo, I think yours are more eclectic than transitional, in eclectic the individual elements maintain more of an identity, while in transitional the individual elements combine styles.

I exceeded my bandwidth for January so the pictures will show up again next week.

• harrimann
    12 years ago

I know my cabinets are a bit modern, but I was going for a French version of French rather than the American version. When I look at photos of kitchens that are in France, I see a lot of modern elements mingling with vintage elements. Sort of like things got replaced when they needed to be replaced and if the old tile floor was still in good shape then it stayed. Also, though the cabinets have modern lines, the wood grain looks very rustic to me.

Palimpsest, I adore avocado green and feel a little sad when I see it mocked on these forums. So, let's say that my kitchen has a beautiful avocado green range with a copper hood.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

mcmjilly, I really liked the modern riff you have going, interpreting Country French while using more sleek materials. I also like the idea of having the floor be the only element that nods to a more ornate country feel. The yellow accents in the floor tie in a bit with the warm tones of your modern wood cabinets, too. If this was my kitchen, instead of changing the modern cabinets (which I like) I might try a sideboard with the same weathered white look, but straighter, less frilly lines, because I think it might play more happily with the pleasing mod vibe you have going elsewhere. That way the finish/texture of the sideboard would still be country, but the lines would be more modern. Fun interpretation.

If some manufacturer offered a modern range in Avocado Green, I'd consider it, I get so hungry for some color. My current stove is a 60's Frigidaire Flair with the retracting cooktop. The original paint was turquoise, but unfortunately somebody painted it beige in the last 45 years. I've considered repainting it turquoise (don't know if it's possible to save the old finish.)

Sochi, what a great kitchen. Your rooms always seem to have a more creative and interesting feel than I can achieve (drinking more wine doesn't seem to be helping.) I love how the round shapes in the bracket echo the shapes in your tile and in both rugs, and I think it's a great blend of modern and traditional elements. Beautiful colors, and the light fixture is such a wonderful fit with all the weathered white furnishings. I think it's a very cohesive and clear room design. Sorry the Olioboard is such a time suck (I know.)

Pal, I'm sorry I didn't study the blue loft kitchen more carefully well before it went poof. I will look for it again later.

dee850, thank you for jumping in here. I am a newbie to French Country too, but I don't see why your kitchen wouldn't qualify. The toile print (love the red drapes), the style of the table and chairs, the bright colors, and the traditional tile work for me. I like the richness of the wooden countertops between the tile and the gray painted cabinets, because I'm leaning towards that for my someday kitchen. (You are right about this becoming addicting.)

Anna, what a wonderful experience for you. I'm envious of you who have traveled, because I'm sure it deepens your understanding of these styles. Sochi's beautiful images from her own travels really add to the feel of this thread. I love your kitchen (now, mine feels cartoonish when I view it!) Your room has a very real and solid feel to it. The touch of the family photo on the wall is perfect.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Avocado and Gold (or some close version thereof)are often recommended in the Decorating Forum as paint or fabric colors: I guess the only sin is having an appliance this color.

I still maintain it's not the individual appliance, but it's associations that are the real negative--as I said in the HD forum it's the kitchens with these appliances where they tried to "shove 10 lbs of 70s S--- into a 5 lb bag" that are ugly, not the appliance color in and of itself

My pics should reappear after the 31st when photobucket resets itself.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Since I can't do any more French Kitchens, what do we think is going to happen next?

This may be my impetus to do Olioboards...

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I'm keen to do modern rustic (rusic modern?). It's another "theme," but I think that it is a sufficiently different look that it would be fine. Others that I'm interested in are Hollywood Regency, Steampunk and commercial kitchens/restaurant supply.

I can't believe we've done 13 of these already.

Here's the list again:

Materials
    Knotty pine
    Metal cabinetry
    Interesting tile (we can do this one over and over)
    Vetrazzo
    Marmoleum graphic series
    Back-painted glass
    Commercial Kitchens/Restaurant Supply

Defining the Home
    Spanish Colonial Revival
    Craftsman
    Prarie School
    1930s
    1940s
    1950s
    1960s
    1970s
    Pimp this kitchen (choose home/kitchen from real estate listing)
    Beach House
    Mash-up house (what do you do with a house that is already a mash-up of styles, like a Mission-style Queen Anne)

Theme/Decorating Styles
    Steampunk
    Eclectic
    Starting from clothing fashions as your inspiration pic, design a kitchen that suits the era/mood/style
    Rustic Modern Cottage
    Hollywood Regency
    Scandinavian

Budget/Supply restrictions
    $10K budget
    Ikea kitchen (all Ikea?)
    Mail order kitchen
    Home Depot kitchen
    Architectural salvage/upcycle/recycle

Define the People
    Mid-life crisis bachelor (or cougar) pad
    Rabid sports fan wants to decorate in team colors

Presentation Strategies that Can Be Combined with Other Choices
    This/Not That (Good taste/bad taste, works/doesn't work)
    High/Low (same look, different budgets)

What we have done so far:
    1) Apple Jasper
    2) Colonial Revived
    3) 1920's Kitchens and All That Jazz
    4) Formica Patterns are Coooool!
    5) Neo-Tuscan/TuscAmerican
    6) I'm Dreaming of a White Kitchen, But...
    7) Victorian/Queen Anne
    8) Animal 'Prints'
    9) Keeping the Golden Oak
    10) Tarting Up a Tudor (posted as #9)
    11) Pink for the Present Day
    12) 1960s tract house
    13) French Country

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

If anybody could find good pictures maybe we could add an Avocado or Harvest Gold appliances challenge :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I'm all for rustic modern cottage (that's listed under theme/decorating styles). Is that what you want to do Cawaps? I can do rustic cottage and it will be fun to try some modern elements.

• sochi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm certainly keen on rustic modern. I had said rustic modern cottage, but I think just rustic modern is okay - unless people want to limit it to a cottage type building.

I like the idea of an Avocado or Harvest Gold challenge too.

I want to do steampunk mostly because I want to post that how to do steampunk video as instructions. I must confess that the guy singing that song ("Just Put Some Gears on It") has become Marcolo in my mind's eye. Oh what heck, just in case you missed the thread in December, here it is again.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to do Steampunk

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I never get tired of that video, it just makes me happy.

I'm up for trying anything others would enjoy.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

A couple of questions came up on the board that made me want to do rustic modern (but not cottage). One was someone doing the kitchen in an apartment over a barn; the other was someone trying to meld her preference for modern with her husband's hunting lodge esthetic.

Harvest gold and avocado sounds fun, too, but since I've used green and gold appliances (from Viking; not the 70s shades, of course) in recent kitchens, I don't know if it will be much of a stretch.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

We definitely need to add avocado and harvest gold to the mix. There's a regular riot in progress over in the Home Desecrating forum, where it's been decided that no appliances can ever be in color because some people had green ones, once. Just stainless steel and white, which are timeless because they always beautifully complement your seven year old dried flower wreaths.

As far as the next project, steampunk, rustic modern, Hollywood Regency are all fine by me. I will try to be a good citizen and participate. It's a crazy month but it looks like pal is doing too much work.

If we do steampunk we definitely need some reading assignments. We should ask plllog to make a guest post--she knew them when.

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

lavender_lass - May I ask you for details on "Debbie's" chandelier? It is beautiful!

And I must say that you are all so incredibly talented! These boards are lovely! I really enjoy reading all of the "Design Around This" threads. :) (So much kitchen eye candy and creativity!)

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Wow, this forum moves along! I'm still studying up on French kitchens (hope to be done in a week or two). If this thread goes to 150 I respectfully request that it have a companion followup thread (assuming I finally get my moodboard done).

And I'm still thinking about that PINK one and some more ideas for it. (Athelstan and his wife are shopping again.)

As for future DAT threads, there are always 1950s faux "colonial" maple dining sets to design around.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I agree with the previously expressed notion that these threads should be considered "open ended" so we can all go back and add boards or comments as we'd like. I usually work at a turtle pace and it's relaxing to know there's no great pressure to finish a board because a new thread is popping up. "Part 2" continuation threads are great too.

I have another Country French board that is not behaving so I may or may not keep pummeling it into submission. Please tell Athelstan to keep shopping.

(I may have to wander over to find the riot over colored appliances.)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Bellajourney- Here's a link, to the chandelier. Glad you like it :)

It also comes with shades (option of four colors). If you do an image search, for 'french country chandelier' you'll se it's availble at other sites, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Chandelier

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I also am a little slow in putting together a design. I am having some difficulty getting Olioboard to cooperate with producing an image, but hopefully I can post one soon. I really like the idea of keeping these threads open ended as I'm tempted to go back and contribute to some older threads now that I've been able to get my toes wet and find out the water is nice and warm in here. I'm certainly no french country expert, but part of why I love these threads is the opportunity to see and explore ideas outside of my comfort zone. Thanks for the great fun and inspiration.

pps7 - I adore your whole design and concept. I can't speak for the backsplash being parisan vs country, but I think it's lovely.

sochi - I love your latest as well. I really like the blues, the textures, and the tile.

anna_chosak - I really like how you brought in the bold blue cabinets and that lovely tile, yet everything is unfussy and welcoming.

I realize I haven't been participating as long, but I'm enamored with the idea of Steampunk as an upcoming DAT thread. How fun!

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Pricklypear, I'm no Olioboard expert, but if the difficulty perists, I'd be happy to try to help. You could post a question to the About the Design Around This threads topic, since that's a good place for "how to" stuff. Others might be running into the same problem, and maybe we can figure it out.

You posted: ...part of why I love these threads is the opportunity to see and explore ideas outside of my comfort zone. Exactly, me too!

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

I love these threads! I am too busy to do the homework to participate on the last few "Design around this" threads but do like to look at what others have done...you have all done marvelously! I would love to see a re-creating the 70's modern kitchen or Hollywood glam designs.

Pal, what has happened to all your pictures? Is it my computer or have they disappeared?

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

lavender_lass - Thank you so much! :)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

My pictures should come back up on January 31 or Feb 1st when my "allowance" resets.
    I used too much free Photobucket in January.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Thanks pal, can't wait to have a look!

• sochi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wonderful story Anna, sounds like a great experience. I like your kitchen too, more blue!

Sounds like modern rustic next, steampunk soon. We can probably wait a day or two for the next thread to start, it sounds like there are a few people working on French Country. Yes to threads staying open-ended, people should feel free to post kitchens on any of them.

• Honoria Glossop
    12 years ago

Pal,
    I so missed your pictures of the Green Demolitions Kitchen!
    Would you be so kind to repost at least one?

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I really know very little about French Country except what I read for this design, but I thought I'd give this a try anyway. I imagined a family moving to an old farmhouse, perhaps even a stone farmhouse somewhere in the Eastern US. They love the soft colors and rustic aesthetic of French Country. Centering the design around the beautiful blue La Cornue range with chrome and copper trim, I thought light wood cabinets and a rustic farmhouse island would be pleasing. I imagine paneled fridge and dishwasher and a mixture of rustic metals. I thought a soft gray limestone floor and marble counters would develop a beautiful soft and rustic patina over time. I love the light blues and yellows of French Country, so I included a soft yellow paint for the walls and blue and yellow curtains, along with a beautiful blue and white tile backsplash. A small kitchen table with bentwood chairs seemed perfect for a country family kitchen. Beautiful copper pots could be stored under the farmhouse island with a few stools for casual conversation, and herbs and flowers would be used to accessorize.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Prickly- Nice job! Many of those elements are what I'd want in a french country kitchen :)

• sochi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great job prickly, I like the yellow and blue colour scheme. Have you noticed that your light fixture seems to be THE french light fixture of choice?? Palimpsest and I both chose it for our French Country kitchens, and mtnrdredux actually owns it. Great light!

Can we start the rustic modern thread now? Others should feel free to continue posting in French country though. Who wants to start the thread?

• pps7
    12 years ago

Sochi, I own that Chandelier! I would to see what ideas pop up in a rustic modern kitchen.

• sochi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pps7, you're kidding? It's official, most popular Gardenweb chandelier ever.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement! Sochi, I think you're right, that is the quintessential french light fixture isn't it? I tried to mix it up a little with the different pendants over the island, but I do really like the shape of that chandelier.

I'm really looking forward to the rustic modern. A lot of the homes close the ski resorts near my home would really do well with rustic modern interiors. I can't wait to see the great ideas.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Pricklypearcactus, very nice kitchen! I like all of the elements, and the soft clean colors. I also like the pendant light you chose to go over the island.

I've given up on my attempt at a second country french kitchen for now (maybe some day) so I'll try to wrap my mind around rustic modern. I'm looking forward to seeing ideas too.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

My pictures are back up and a couple people had asked because they'd not seen them so I am bumping this.

• cawaps
    6 years ago

I just dredged up an old DAT of mine in reply to another thread and was thinking the same thing (that was from the Home Decorating forum, not kitchens). I'd be game to do a new one. Do you have something in mind for the theme? Or do you want to do another French Country one so you can get your pics? I think 5 years is enough lapsed time to repeat a topic.

• sochi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We’ve tried to revive in the past, I’d try to participate. They were fun and informative threads.