Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Design Around This #13: French Country

Posted by sochi (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 23:30

Surely everyone must love French Country? Come on, give it a try! Beginners and the merely curious are especially welcome.

Your concept or mood board should try to be cohesive, contextual and realistic budget wise (given the house).

Give a rationale for why you choose the pieces that you did.

Your design should work in the house you select (a particular challenge with this DAT theme I think).

Accept criticism and please remember to critique others. You don't always have to praise the ideas put forward.

I've pasted a link to the thread "About Design Around This Threads" for further information on getting started, creating boards, etc.

French Country

After reading a few articles on-line and happily flipping through dozens of pages of photos, I think I've learned a few things about French Country.

A few of the themes that most immediately jump out at me: texture, and lots of it. Distressed wood, metal, wrought iron, concrete. Routine use of fabric. Toile. Bright cheerful colours - but many spaces with very white walls, ceilings, tables. Colourful tile. Lots going on with the ceiling - wooden beams, white painted boards, etc. Stone. Antique furnishings. Rustic, weathered surfaces. Inviting, casual. Flowers. Lots of weathered highly textured accessories - pots, spoons, flower pots, bowls. La Cornue ranges (actually, I didn't come across too many of these, but they are gorgeous).

If you go to google images and type "French Country Kitchen" you will get quite a few North American interpretations of French Country. Some lovely, others veering quite close to those Tuscan-American kitchens we looked at some weeks ago. The one thing I found most jarring about the American-French country spaces were how smooth and polished they all are. Perfect, organized, gleaming marble and orderly cabinetry. Everything "just so." This is not what you see typically when you search for real French country kitchens. Go to google.fr and through images search for " des cuisines de compagne". Some of the nicest kitchen images link you to French magazines like Cote Maison and Cote Sud, you could spend hours going through pictures.

Here are some pictures to get you in the mood:

french1
french3
french4
CuisineEspritBistrot_carrousel_gallery_xl
CuisineTraditionBousculee_carrousel_gallery_xl
CuisineStyleAcienda_carrousel_gallery_xl

french2
Chtycoz-3_carrousel_gallery_xl
Karine-daurio-3_carrousel_gallery_xl
french country 6
theme-campagne
ensemblecuisinecampagne
french country 3
Cuisine1_carrousel_gallery_xl

Whose kitchen do these tiles remind you of?
Momo-2_carrousel_gallery_xl

And my favourite:
french5

Here is a link that might be useful: About

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Design Around This #13: French Country

I still love this look, so I am looking forward to see what everyone comes up with!

o

I'm drawn to this style also and no matter how much I try to change my kitchen I go right back. I kept seeing the term French Country but never realized until I saw these photos what was meant by it. As for the rooms in the photos, I like all except number 2 and 3. sochi, the last one is my favorite too. Well, I guess I really haven't contributed to this thread so I'll sit back and wait also.

o

What I notice is how few of the kitchens in the pictures have upper cabinets.

o

I like that fabric, in the second picture! I'd probably never use it in my own home...but that purple really pops against the yellow...and I'm so tired of looking at snow, ANY color is appreciated :)

While I don't have a good french country kitchen photo, I have used this one for my inspiration photo...for some time, so many of you have probably seen it! LOL Thought I'd post it though, to show what I'd like to do in my space...

From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Can't contribute much more right now, since I'm waiting to see if contractors will show up today, to finish our porch.

o

Oh, I love them all. My own kitchen is french country inspired, though I shied away from some less practical elements, eg all open shelves, and curtained lowers ... though I love love that look.

o
Recycled De Tonge Roussillon Red Kitchen

Referring back to Senator13's suggestion, I recycled this kitchen from Green Demolitions. It listed originally for $60K. I used Cardinal red from Kraftmaid to represent the cabinets. (IRL you would probably have to add cabinets to this recycle.)

This kitchen would still have a very high budget, so I am picturing this in one of the Norman French houses in the older suburbs here, probably switching places with the large dining room. It's all French, but probably purely American in it's interpretation.
Here is the original kitchen, which was pictured on a book:

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Recycled plaster mantle hood under beamed ceiling
Ann Sacks Gitanos terracotta tile
Gold Pyrolave French Lavastone countertops
Recycled De Tonge Roussillon Red cabinetry
Lacanche Range
Antique Parefeuille from Ann Sacks
Adelphi Paperhangings reproduction French Sunflower wallpaper
Antique tole bouillotte (French) from 1st dibs
Louis XIV chairs, provincial table and majolica rooster,and french rug all 1st dibs.

The wallpaper is completely inappropriate, but it is period, French and in all the right colors so I used it. I would probably only do one wall of the eating area in something so strongly patterned.

o

For me, it would be all about the black and brass 150 cm la cornue range with matching hood:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

With this Ann Sacks marble mosiac behind the range:

French gray inset cabinets along the periphery:

Furniture style stand wood island. salvage wood open shelves instead of uppers:

Big ole farmhose sink with skirted bottom. wood beams :

This my first stab at this, so I hope I did it right :)

o

PPS,

I love each element, and each photo. But I think you need to kill off the mosaic. If it is French, it is Parisian and not country. But oh is it lovely.

I just went back to look at some of these prior contests, and I am so glad you chose something pretty this time. Pink!? Blech.

o
Mid-Century Frenchery

Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

o

pps7 - thanks for joining in. I agree with kitchsy - every element you posted is lovely. The first two seem to go together well (the lovely gray cabs and marble mosaic), but I agree that they are more Paris than rural France. The second two seem like perfect French country. I love the salvaged wood shelving.

kitchsy - periodically we seem to torture ourselves on these threads, then we do a fun one. Some people like pink I think!

palimpsest - roosters in both kitchens?? I should have mentioned that in the rules. Why is the wallpaper in your first kitchen inappropriate? The rest of the kitchen is so sunflower, it seems to work to me. Not too close to the backsplash though, which is perfect I think.

The check fabric in your second kitchen - it seems a bit too casual for the rest of the space? Maybe a toile instead? Wrong era?

o

The roosters are kind of a joke, but they are very French.
The wallpaper is French, but probably Nouveau or Arts Decoratifs, between 1910-20.

In the second kitchen the hardware/lighting is too formal, really, it's Louis XV, but I was taking an American viewpoint. The check is a carpet.

o

This quiz is of interest: guess whether the kitchens pictured are French or American.

Here is a link that might be useful: French or American Quiz

o

French country does lend itself to recycling well. Perhaps all country does? Most the elements of my board are used, antique, re-used barn board ceilings, marble topped patio table, vintage pottery, etc.

My house is in new world wine country, something like this is Niagara-on-the-Lake:
700-01236056

I went with a lavender influence. I really wanted a patchwork backsplash, I like the one I found, but the colours aren't quite right, but close. I'm tried to focus on texture, weathered surfaces, black wrought iron.

Cement tile floors, barn board ceilings, concrete sink. Open lower shelving flanking the sink with patterned lavender curtains. Cabinets are white bead board framed in pine, like the antique sideboard. Lavender infused olive oil in mason jars. Old wooden boards support a simple indoor mason jar herb garden.

In the breakfast room, marble and wrought iron table, chairs with lavender fabric. Striped carpet, wrought iron chandelier. Not sure about the floral print on the chairs and the striped carpet.

OB-French Country Kitchen3
OB-French Country table2

o

Sochi,
My DH bought that chandelier for our MBR, which has a fpl, beams and plaster walls, so pretty french country i suppose. It's so graceful and romantic.

o

Love everything French Country and I hope one day to experience the real thing! Anyone have inspirational pictures taken in Europe on their travels??? Share please!

o
#3 Suburban French Country.

This house is in Georgetown, Washington, DC. It is "French" but essentially no different than the "Tudor" to its left, except for some details. I think this is the situation that most people wanting a Country French kitchen in the US would be dealing with.
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Oversized "French Check" backsplash in Ann Sacks Ceramic Basics
Cambria "Yorkshire" quartz
Walzcraft "Redstone" cabinet
Thibaut "San Tropez" fabric and wallpaper
Ann Sacks "Alameda" limestone porcelain
Verona Range
Visual Comfort Chandelier
Farrow and Ball "Green Ground"
20th C Provincial-style table, chairs and console from 1st dibs.
Rooster painting from 1st dibs
Hardware: simulated bail pull and knob from Hardware Hut

o

OOH, I will take treat whole thing, including moving to Georgetown. Love the palette.

o
Lavender.

pps, I think your kitchen would be really pretty, but the overall mood to me would read English, mostly because of the cabinets. I still like it though:)

Sochi, I like the overall color scheme of your board.

From a practical standpoint (and I don't know that this exercise is "practical" or needs to be), a client would have a really hard time deciphering what a kitchen presented like this would really look like. It creates a great mood, but the inspirational things, --the infused tea or honey, the bunches of lavender, the herbs, dishrack, towels, confits--they occupy as much as the real nuts and bolts of the design.

I think my presentations look boring by comparison, but there is a real idea of adjacencies of materials and what is what in a rigid formatted layout--it's a representation of what the kitchen finishes look like, period--and that's what the kitchen is going to look like.

In a more romanticized presentation your client may end up with a completely different notion of what a weathered cabinet, cement countered, stone floored with an antique tile backsplash Kitchen really looks like. And it might be quite different than you intend.:)

o
Lets see what happens:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Do you see what happens without the flowers and doodads?
In my opinion, these are Good kitchens because kitchens will always have stuff to add more interest and color. It doesn't all have to be in the materials. But they look a bit more boring without the styling and staging, don't they?

o

Pal - yes you're right. I need to work on my skills of pulling the actual kitchen together the way you do. That said, I find the precisely designed kitchens, properly layered lacking something - soul maybe? They look cohesive, but I don't feel the space. IRL perhaps you do the inspiration board first, then a more rigid outline of the basic kitchen elements? I'm still having a hell of a time finding the cabinets that I can use, that is part of my problem. Even worse trying to find open cabinetry. It would be much easier if I just used shaker cabinets all the time.

JShoregirl - France is fabulous, go as soon as you can. Sorry, no kitchen inspiration pictures (just the ones from magazines posted in the original post). Here is a few of my non-kitchen favourites from a trip we took while I was on mat leave for my now 7-year old.
crop0024
crop0017
crop0070

o
grammar

Oh dear, here "are" a few pictures I meant. I really need to review my grammar before I post. Sorry.

Pal, you're right of course, strip away the colour and it is more boring. But good bones. Although those two were the most 'boring' to begin with I think.

o

It's really weird. The fourth photo had the stuff blanked out when I first posted it, now it doesn't. Photobucket has been acting strange.

I use cabinet doors from Plain and Fancy, Woodmode, Walzcraft right off the site, and Kraftmaid doors from Google images. They are straight on views of doors.

I don't know that a kitchen ever feels lived in until it is actually lived in. But I think this leads to a couple of different things, one of which is trying to cram too much detail into the finishes (especially the backsplashes, imo) to make it look more lived in and full when it is still empty. Then you put the stuff in--and often it's visual chaos--people aren't taking into account all the contents of daily living that will be out in a kitchen much of the time when it is in use.

o

Sochi- I put a room together, the same way you do. I start with my inspiration photos, so I can decide what kind of 'feeling' I want, in the room. Should it have a fireplace? Would it be better to have French doors or sliders? Does it cry out, for a window seat or banquette? THEN, I go back and find cabinetry that works with that feeling, flooring, countertops/backsplash, etc.

I really liked your lavender kitchen and although I wouldn't have chosen every detail...I can see using many of them and creating a slightly different kitchen. That kind of mood board would be wonderful to narrow down, what you (or the client) want the room to feel like. Then, more specific choices could be made (like Pal's boards) so that you and the client are on the same page. So, maybe both are necessary, to achieve a truly great kitchen :)

Pps- I'm not a big fan of gray, but that being said...I really like your kitchen, too. Maybe it's because I plan to have English and French elements in the room, but I love your beams, open shelves and French doors. Very impressive, for your first try!

Pal- I don't like red and gold very much, but I like your second kitchen...especially that hardware. It doesn't come in antique brass, does it? All your tables are beautiful and most of your chairs would work in almost any of my spaces! Cute touch with the roosters, too. LOL

o

The Louis XV hardware shown is PE Geurin, which comes in 16 finishes, but it's expensive.

You can find Louis Hardware on pages 9and 10 of the Lee Valley Hardware-Veritas online catalog.

o

I like this one, too...but I'll probably keep looking, for something much less expensive :)

From Snow White album

o

How about this - a variant on my first inspiration board, but I gave up trying to force the lavender/gray and tried to layer or present the kitchen in a more structured fashion. I still included a bit of the whimsy though, I couldn't forego it altogether.

Sink run is open shelves with curtain under sink, oven run has closed cabs and patchwork tile backsplash. Reclaimed wood shelves, still concrete tile floor, but a warmer colour.

Same fabric for tablecloth and sink curtain.

OB-French Kitchen 4

o

The central focus of this one gives a much better idea of what the kitchen finishes are, and how they relate to each other. I don't get the light fixture in this one. Did you notice we used the same fixture in our previous set-ups?

o

To me, pal's Saturday post is pretty definitive for someone who pines for old "French Provincial" furniture but still has all their own teeth.

Sochi, you seem to have a thing for that backsplash but in neither case does it go color-wise with your other finishes. It's very robust, all tomatoes and eggplants and garlic. Put it aside, use different backslashes and then come back and built a kitchen around it that can stand up to it.

o

I also was working with a lavender theme, in honor of Lavender Lass. But I let the silver-green color of the leaves predominate, although there is lavender there, too.

Photobucket

Agatha cabinet from One Kings Lane
Zinc counter
Ann Sack Elements tile in French Lavender
Viking range in plum
Zinc range hood from Handcrafted Metals
Stainless apron front sink from Fixture Universe
Kingston Heritage faucet from Fixture Universe
Open shelving (example photo courtesy of Tchochkes.com)
Oak hardwood floor
Braided rug from Country Living Primitives
Willow Pembrook lighting fixture from GreatWindsorChairs.com
Aiden Gray Mumaw lighting fixture from Layla Grayce
French Country Table from GreatWindsorChair.com
Delaware Valley Ladderback side chair from GreatWindsorChair.com
Drapery fabric from buyfabrics.com
Cushion fabric inspired by Soci's second inspiration pic, also from buyfabrics.com
Bronze wire hanging basket from Amazon

o

Sochi, thank you for providing all the example photos. They were really helpful to me, because they provided a much broader view of Country French than my wobbly understanding previously allowed. Pal's red kitchen helped me in that regard, too. Still, my first attempt may end up pretty conventional (maybe I need to drink more wine while working on this theme.)

Sochi, I like the lavender/grays in your first board, and hope to play with those colors too (seems so appropriate here, and for LavenderLass too.) Your materials are all so simple and earthy and real, fitting your proposed home location well. The second board is a little easier to visualize, but I miss the pleasing combo of the lavender and olive greens.

pps7, thank you for jumping in here! I liked your ideas. I agree with others that the lovely tile may not be very "country", but thought all of your elements were very elegant. I especially love the forged iron bar used as a pot rack in your last photo.

Pal, it's hard to keep up with you. And I want the time to go look up some of your materials, to pay better attention to the details. Back soon.

Still trying to get one finished up.

o

Cawaps- I like the lavender and green! :)

Here's my french country kitchen...or rather Debbie's french country kitchen. She's been crazy about France, since she took those cooking classes, after work. She's been saving up for a kitchen remodel (young professional, early 30s, who lives alone) but she's terrible with a budget. Not that she can't stay on one...but she always ends up splurging on one item...and then coming up with creative solutions, for everything else.

She had this baker's rack from college...great antique store find...no one saw the potential under three layers of orange paint! LOL

From French Country Kitchen

So, after saving for five years...she's finally got enough to do a nice renovation of her kitchen...and promptly blows 1/2 of her budget on this range. She convinces herself that it's a wonderful deal (it is a great sale price) and she can take it with her, if she ever moves.

Now, for the rest of the remodel. She uses this picture for her inspiration and does a similar look with recycled cabinets, from a friend's remodel. They're in great shape and she wants an unfitted look, anyway. She also finds a great deal on a chunk of marble that she uses on either side of the stove...and uses a stainless steel backsplash and fairly inexpensive stainless hood.

For the other appliances, she decides on classic (and easy on the budget) white and stainless steel for the sink...with white ceramic tiles for countertop and backsplash. For the island (it's a big room, since she and her brothers were able to take down a non-load bearing wall, between the kitchen and dining room) she also has her brothers help her modify a big work table, with center cabinets and a bottom shelf, on each side. Butcher block goes on top for the work/prep counter...and she paints the island black. Not exactly like this one, but very similar...

A few accessories, including the rooster canisters (a house warming gift from her friend) and she's pretty much done with the kitchen area...oh, and this fabric for the kitchen window valance...inspired by the canisters :)

Now, for the dining area, she found a great deal on the table, but had very little left for the chairs...so she finds very similar chairs and paints them all black (to match the island) simlar to these chairs, but with an upholstered seat. Her mom gave her the chandelier, as a Christmas gift.

Debbie found this tablecloth at a low budget department store and likes the way the colors blend with the great upholstery fabric that she found for the chairs...close out material, at the fabric store...but just enough for six chair seats.

Sorry, I have not had time to figure out mood boards, but if I didn't post this now (it's after midnight) it wouldn't get done. Contractor will be back tomorrow morning to finish our porch, this week...and then life should hopefully, get back to normal :)

o

Hey, Lav, I guess im french country! I have a black freestanding range on a stone wall!

o

I worked with a French Creole style house with a formal front porch, seen in southern states.

Photobucket

I started with mustard yellow cabinets (a more ornate door style would have been better, but I was after the color.) The main field tiles, 6" Crossville Bianco, have tone variations that look rustic, and a warm cast to blend with the other yellows.

The copper hood arrived because I decided the shape and bulk of the cobalt Viking hood looked too bold and modern. A curved aged copper hood fit better with the country feeling.

I used Corian Metallix Copperite for the countertops, to tie in with the copper hood, hardware, pot rack, and lighting fixtures. The yellow wallpaper in the breakfast area is Farrow and Ball, The Vermicelli Papers. Because the colors are so bold in these rooms, I visualize a simple pine planked ceiling, and a pine floor (light in color, scrubbed pine look.)

Blue toile curtains and drape under the sink, and a cobalt blue floral rug to add another pattern and tie in with the appliances.

Photobucket

I used copper as a third color for French aspect, but I also thought the room needed an aged/natural material to balance out the bright colors. In real life using a lot of copper/metal could be challenging, because each manufacturer's idea of "Aged Copper" varies. The faucet I grabbed is described as Vintage Brass, but the color looked right on my monitor. Depending on each company's patina, some bronze accessories might end up in the same color range.

A combination pot rack/light fixture hangs over the small island (butcher block top on a small cabinet.) Imagine this loaded with copper cookware (when I tried that on the tiny board, it looked junky.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I tried to do French Country without using wonderful stone walls or heavy beams (although those go to the heart of the style.) Using materials more easily applied to a simpler modern interior, I relied on color more than texture, and that may have resulted in a room that is too bright for many. I think this plan might still work with white appliances, a white enamel barrel hood with copper strap details, and a mottled blue countertop (maybe Formica Denim Canvas.) Losing the Viking appliances and copper hood would drop the price of the kitchen substantially.

(Off topic rant) I wish that lower-end appliance manufacturers would offer colors other than stainless, black, and white. I love including colored ranges in these boards, but feel a little guilty about often going high end...part of my challenge IRL is to do nice things with a modest budget. I'll never own one of these juicy-colored beauties unless I find one on Craigs List (sadly, very unlikely in my city!) Reasonably priced appliances used to be manufactured in harvest gold, copper brown and avocado green, so why don't companies in a lower price range offer currently popular colors now? (End rant.) :-)

Omega Cabinets, Catalina
Viking Cobalt Blue appliances
Corian Metallix Copperite countertops
Cobalt blue Calais Cabinet, Crate and Barrel, topped with:
Maple butcherblock, devoswoodworking.com
Crossville Bianco field tiles
Crossvile Yellow Brick Road over range
Escudo Tile, and blue rope border tile, mexicantiles.com
Slatted Gate Pendant, shopterrain.com
Kenroy Dorada Two Light Pot Rack, gilded copper
Marcel Mini Copper Metallic Pendant
French Country Paysanne Chairs, and Country French table, Kate Madison
Floral Brown Rug 424044 Bellacor.com
Garden Vines Rug, blue white, Homedecorators.com
Heritage Lace Curtains, Les Fleurs Toile
Kingston Brass Vintage Gooseneck Faucet
Whitehaus Fluted Fireclay farmhouse sink
Belwith Cottage Hardware, dark antique copper
French Bell Copper Hood, Handcraftedmetal.com
Carolyn Biggio framed giclee print

o

After reviewing the above, I can see my plan fails terribly because I forgot to include a rooster. My bad.

o

Mudhouse- I'm glad you've seen the error of your ways! LOL I included the roosters for Pal :)

I really like your yellow and blue kitchen and the copper really works, IMHO. I plan to include some copper, with my antique brass, in my 'real life' kitchen. I wanted to do something opposite of what I'd actually do...so that's why there's no bunny tile!

o

dame licorne

these are two keywords that bring you to images of tapestry from about the 15th century, in France. Elements piked from the background of these tapestries have been used and reused for ever.

E.g. For rabbits, symbolizing femininity, image search : dame licorne lapin

o

I had a response that disappeared.

Mudhouse your board is both visually interesting and shows the fixtures and finishes in proper relationship to each other, so it's very clear. Its the best of both worlds with presentation.

How do you do this in Photobucket?

I have wondered about using the metallic solid surfaces in a non-commercial environment. The counter is a perfect foil here for the real copper finishes.

o

Okay, now I'm going to have to post my bunny tile...LOL

From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

o

Mudhouse, I agree with Pal, the way you present your ideas and your kitchens is ideal. Did you share details on how to do it in the info thread?

o

NO, it's not ideal, because it's going to make all of us spend twice as many hours on our boards to keep up!

Great kitchen and great board, seriously.

o
Roosters

Mudhouse- I found some roosters for you! LOL

Seriously, nice job...on the kitchen design and the mood boards!

o

Yeah, that's part of the reason I stopped these. I had to drag everything into Word and then resize and drag stuff around, and then resave it as a jgp etc etc.
What a pain.

PS I have a rooster lamp for sale. It is sort of a French Country goes bordello, with gold fringe and ruby crystals. You wonder why ive become a colorphobe.

o

Photobucket

Davidro1, now I want to do a kitchen with rabbits and unicorns. Actually the above would be a pretty color scheme for French Country. I love old tapestries.

LavenderLass, thank goodness you found rooster pillows that would work for me, you saved the day. I like rabbits too (we talk to the desert cottontails in our yard.)

Also, Lavender, I liked your kitchen, and I thought your presentation was a good example of how people don't need to do a "mood board" to get their ideas across. The way you added text in between each photo makes it fun to read, like a story unfolding. That is one disadvantage of the mood boards, because everything is presented in one visual "blob", and you have to hope that people read the text above or below the board to understand what you're thinking.

Thank you Marcolo. If I ever feel like I'm half as smart as the rest of you folks, I'm gonna stop working this hard. Going overboard on the details of how things fit together is seductive for me, because I keep learning the further I push myself to go. I do get behind on laundry and house cleaning, but frankly those activities never teach me anything.

Sochi, I did one post in the Info Thread about Olioboard, which is where I assemble these images. If there is any other info I could elaborate on, let me know what would be good to cover in another post. I'd like to see the thread grow as a good source of help on different ways people can share their ideas. This whole idea has made such a difference to me.

Pal, I assemble each "blob" in Olioboard, by capturing images using the Olioboard app that lets you grab them from the web, and store them in your Olioboard library. After I have flopped, cropped, rejected, added and layered stuff as I like, there is a way in Olioboard to "save this board as a Jpeg." That saves the assemblage to my computer, and then I upload the board to Photobucket. So for the above kitchen, I did five separate Olioboards, and five uploads to Photobucket (well, six, including the house pic.)

Photobucket seems (?) to restrict the size of my images as they show up here, so I started doing "detail shots" with close ups of the materials, because I was annoyed at all the detail being lost in the final boards. (Like, the shot above showing all the copper.) We all spend so much time carefully choosing our materials, it's a shame if the image size prevents others from seeing the features that we loved in the first place.

I usually do those "detail shots" of the materials at the end, after I have the room finished, but sometimes if elements are fighting me I'll just stop and do a separate Olioboard of the materials close up in a group. Usually I can see which one isn't playing well with others when I have them all crammed together in a blob, and I take a long hard squint at them.

I really do like Olioboard because, once you learn how to flop images around, it's a very fast way to manipulate elements to develop an idea.

I need to stop using that Copperite countertop because I also used it in the Golden Oak thread when I wanted a more masculine counter material. I'm glad you think it worked here.

o
RE: One correction

One correction, I only made four Olioboards for the above presentation. When I looked at my preview for this post, I thought too much tile detail was lost in the board that shows the maple butcherblock. So, I opened up that saved Jpeg image in another freebie software program I use (Irfanview.) I cropped out everything except for the range, enlarged it, and saved that as a new Jpeg, so people could see the tile better.

When you are working in Olio you can easily enlarge or reduce the whole field, and you can really see remarkable detail in all the surfaces. So, I get grumpy when I post it here and it's all so tiny.

o

Thanks mudhouse. Clearly I have to devote more time to my Olioboards. Sigh. Great work.

o

Mudhouse, I really, really like that kitchen. I think you nailed it. (Except for the shortage of roosters, of course, but you have already acknowledged that.)

o

Sochi, instead of working on Olioboards, I wish you'd bring your design skills over here and work on our house. You have no idea how much we need you. (Be prepared to stay for a very long time.) :-)

Thanks Angie. The rooster thing really wasn't my fault. Nobody emailed me about the Rooster Requirement.

o

Still catching up here on the first part of the thread, I'm sorry to drag you guys backwards.

Lol Mtnrdredux, I should have bought your rooster lamp to use in my board, then it would be complete. (Actually Rooster Bordello sounds pretty interesting.)

Pal, in your first red kitchen, I like how the delicate stenciled-look pattern on the Ann Sacks Gitanos tiles is echoed in the tole light fixture shade. I would not have thought these subtle details could stand up to the strong wallpaper, but they do (I suppose because the colors are so spot on.)

If you don't mind me asking, when you create a board, do you usually begin with the visually strongest elements in the design, and work from there? For example, in your red kitchen above, perhaps beginning with the Adelphi Sunflowers wallpaper?

In your Georgetown kitchen, I think the Ann Sacks French Check backsplash is pretty and fun. I like how the pale sage greens are balanced by the orange browns. I will also admit I like how the black chicken in the painting adds visual weight to the board's composition. I don't think I'd like it as well without the black chicken (yes I know that sounds goofy.)

Sochi, looking at your first board again I really liked the cabinet door you found, with the beaded panel in a pine frame, to match your sideboard. Interesting doors like that are so hard for me to find, and they would be more fun to work with. The white beadboard complemented your marble table well. There are a lot of pleasing elements there.

Cawaps, I like these cool soft colors and I think the lovely zinc hood and countertops would be really pleasing with them. I also thought the lavender ticking drapery fabric was a great idea for the theme. (Kinda wish I had thought of ticking when I got stuck looking for toile.)

Regarding boards, I agree with Sochi's comment above that finding cabinet doors is hard, and finding open cabinets or shelving is even worse. I just wander Google for the latter, and hope I get lucky. In addition to the cabinet companies that Pal mentioned (Plain and Fancy, Woodmode, Walzcraft, Kraftmaid) I also have used Custom Cupboards, and Omega. I always look for straight on views in the color I want, and often I have to just settle for a color I can find, which is aggravating.

o

Mudhouse- Nice tapestry! And, thank you...I'm glad you liked "Debbie's kitchen" :)

o

I am imagining a French couple moving to NYC into a genuine loft and doing a kitchen with a French sensibilities.

Purists may want to skip this one.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

New York Loft with wooden floors and ceiling, metal windows and all white walls.

Zinc Hood
Ann Sacks Tile Basics Backsplash
Zodiaq Celestial Blue
Omega Dynasty Cabinets.
Oak Floors
Wood beamed ceiling
Toile Drapery (Thibaut)
Serge Mouille Light fixture
That's a rooster, and it's from France
French butcher block
Gueridon table and Standard chair by Jean Prouve
Rya rug (not French)
Powdercoated Louis XV pull.

o

That's a rooster, and it's from France--Okay, now you're just being silly.

I like way you used the colors of the French flag, and it is an interesting interpretation of French (although I confess I don't see a lot of "country" here). I'm not sure about the combination of the 3 blues of the counter/cabs/range. Of all the hues, I seem to be least forgiving of small variation in blues, and as a consequence I'd probably go with a red counter (and tune the cabinet paint to more closely match the range).

I'll try to offer comments on all the kitchens later.

o
The blues.

I like skeletons.

In real life you would have to closely match the blues, which would be easier said than done, the counter and range being the two limiting factors. Some pictures of that counter look very cobalt, like the range, others look warmer.

o

LOL Pal, I like skeletons too, but that did make me laugh out loud!

o

Pal- Ick

Look what happens, when you do that...

From Kitchen plans

o

I'm going all out with the flooring, and keeping everything else sort of simple.

Copper hood, big white tiles on the walls (all the way to the ceiling), wood cabinets on the sink wall with integrated pulls, white quartz countertop:
Photobucket

Colorful tile floor, big rustic farmhouse table in the center of the room, unfitted hutch for dishes and cutlery:

Photobucket

For the range wall, I'm picturing a colorful range flanked by two wood topped workbenches (like photo #10 in the first post).

o

Okay Mudhouse, I tried. Still not as good as yours, but I put a little more effort into my Olio'boarding. What a time suck! I gave up from sheer exhaustion trying to perfect my open shelving, but I think you get the general idea. I like the bracket I found.

I wouldn't have two identical paintings IRL, but I liked the symmetry in the DR.

Pal - thanks for the cabinet recommendations, I found a number of interesting cabs at Walzcraft.

I tried to design a more American-like French country space here. I think it could work in houses similar to the ones Pal has pictured. A little on the expensive side, starting with La Cornue.

OB-French Kitchen F
OB-French Breakfast TableF

Here are the credits for a few of the items:

La Cornue
Chandelier - The Designer Insider
Backsplash - Ann Sacks
Pottery - Derby Pottery, Alan and Janet Mayfield
Cabinets - Walzcraft
Painting - Joseph Plaskett "Still Life with Delphinium"

o
and more

Oh and the blue(ish) countertop is Icestone.

I know the carpet and backsplash esp. are fairly modern, but I was trying to pick up on the large round open flowers in the fabric. I like the flower pattern in the brackets too. Flowers=French country, n'est-ce pas?

o

Pal I love that blue loft kitchen with French sensibilities. Fantastic.

Just noticed that we picked the same fixtures a few posts up. And that Mtnrdredux owns it. Small world.

Mcmjilly, I love the floors. I wanted to do something like that. Only other comment would be that your cabs seem a little too modern for the other fixtures perhaps?

Lavender, I love all the pieces you choose. Too much rooster perhaps?? :)

Cawaps, great kitchen. Love the zinc.

o

Sochi- I prefer bunnies to roosters...but I put those in, for Pal. Honestly, I based 'Debbie's friend' who gave her the canisters, on Pal's apparent love of roosters :)

o

Ok, total n00b here... Even after looking at all the previous designs and a million photos online, I'm not sure this is exactly French country, but it was fun to do. Olioboard is going to be a new addiction (thanks, mudhouse!)

My approach on this was to try to do a relatively low-budget DIY-able thing, average appliances and nothing high-end.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The stuff:
Martha Stewart cabinets from Home Depot, Seal Harbor door in "ocean floor"
Armstrong vinyl tile floor, Alabaster Travertine
Ikea butcher block counters, stained
Danze Opulence faucet
Villa Lagoon encaustic tile backsplash
Frigidaire Gallery slide-in range
Sears range hood
Amerock Allison value pulls
Ikea lack open shelves
BM lemon chiffon paint
Waverly Country House red toile fabric
and the obligatory rooster, a print found on Etsy :)

I'm sorry to say I won't be much use on critiquing others' designs. I'm paying close attention, but they all look so good!

o

Comments

Pal #1, Green Demolitions: I love the way all these elements work together. I like the wallpaper, although I agree it could be too much if used everywhere.

Pps7: I agree with kitschyKitch that the mosaic is beautiful but too elegant for a country kitchen, French or otherwise. But I think all the rest of the elements work very well together.

Pal #2, blue/gray: The gingham rug is cute. Overall, I prefer the color and mood of your first one more than this one, but I can't seen to articulate why.

Sochi, wine country lavender: Nice mix of lavender and gray. I can see that the patchwork would work if you could get the colors right.

Pal#3, Georgetown house: The colors in this one are very soothing, and I like the chickens (I generally have mixed feelings about them). The color of the floor seems a bit off to me.

Lavender Lass: That baker's rack is great. I like the various elements together, although (IMO) the rooster valance is a bit over the top).

Mudhouse French Creole: You do have a great way of presenting your designs. I love the layering of the different yellows and blues with the copper.

Mcmjilly: Great floor. I'd like to see what range you would choose.

Sochi blue: Nice job with Olioboard. I like the blues in this one. What a pretty range! I really like the combination of colors and elements.

Dee850: Congratulations on your first mood board! I don't know if it is French Country either, but I especially like your backsplash and dining area. Great curtains!

o

General observations:

The trend continues where the designs are getting more specific and less transitional.

Lots of blue kitchens.

Sochi's, Lavender's, Mudhouse's Cawap's Dee's and maybe even Jilly's kitchens would work with ...
Harvest Gold or Avocado appliances.

o

Yeah, they are less transitional because I haven't had time to do any kitchens! I usually try to throw some transitional ideas in these threads, because I'd like to show that your "typical" renovator who likes Pottery Barn can still do a decent kitchen in a particular style.

Although what I wanted to do for this thread is a really rustic look. Something RH-ish, perhaps.

o

Pal, I looked at green appliances, but didn't find any that were quite right. Avocado might have worked.

On the subject of colored appliances, I agree with Mudhouse's rant about not being able to find lower-end colored appliances. In real life, I've always compromised for what was affordable in terms of appliances. In these threads, when I'm not explicitly constraining my budget, I often go for the colored appliances and I think it makes a huge difference in the final look. I might reconsider my real-life approach the next time I have to replace an appliance.

Regarding being more specific and less transitional, some of that, for me, is doing a better job of doing my homework. But I also think the more of these you do, you more you want to change things up so they don't all look alike.

My personal tastes run to transitional. For me, Shaker cabs are the happy medium between slab (too stark) and raised panel (too overwrought). But they don't say French Country to me at all.

o

This one is kind of dear to my heart.

I was lucky enough to spend my junior year of college in the south of France. Occasionally I'd go home with my roommates. They were from a very tiny village in the region that the book _A Year in Provence_ takes place in. Their father was the village baker and their mom was the patissiere.

They had two houses; one was attached to the bakery, and had a very plain, old, completely non-decorated kitchen with a table in the middle. Sitting at that table, I was treated to the revelation that is fresh asparagus, perfectly cooked and served with butter. Before that, I never knew asparagus didn't require boiling for an hour. I am not making this up. In that kitchen, I also helped their mother construct a croquembouche.

Their other house was a small "villa" down the road with an authentic French country kitchen. The kitchen was a combination of white and wood, and quite plain. Small run-of-the-mill range that produced THE most amazing Christmas eve meal I've ever had in my life. French doors opened onto a patio where their mom served us lunch when I returned many years later with DH for a visit. Lunch consisted mainly of a salad lightly dressed with a hot potato cut up into it. So simple, and so good that 18 years later, we are still making that dish.

So for me, French country is not about roosters and checked fabric, but about excellent and simple ingredients (whether cooking or decorating) done superbly well.

Oh, and all those Betty Lou Phillips books about French decorating? NOT FRENCH. The French people I know would howl with laughter over them. The essence of real French country design is carefully put together to look simple and unfussy.

So in that spirit, I present my re-imagined version of the kitchen of Mme. Marie-France Lerisse of Cleon d'Andran, France, transported to a small vacation home in the Poconos.

Floors: French limestone tile
Range: White Lacanche Cormatin
Armoire: "This old thing? Picked it up at the antique shop 'round the corner."
I didn't add a light fixture because I couldn't find anything I liked. But it would be extremely practical, unfussy and definitely not RH.

o

Pal: I can't see any of your pictures! WAH! They all say something about exceeding bandwith and too many views! What's happening?

I haven't had time to try my hand at this...and it's something I know nothing about. But I am very much enjoying the vicarious thrills.

o

Anna- Nice kitchen! That looks so rustic, cozy and very french. As nice as the kitchen is...I want to thank you for the salad/potato idea. Sounds wonderful :)

o

I think my first three are really the American versions of French, almost like Tuscamerican, although I think the faux french is more palatable to me. I did the loft french after I looked at the inspirations again which are awfully contemporary in some respects.

Marcolo, I think yours are more eclectic than transitional, in eclectic the individual elements maintain more of an identity, while in transitional the individual elements combine styles.

I exceeded my bandwidth for January so the pictures will show up again next week.

o

I know my cabinets are a bit modern, but I was going for a French version of French rather than the American version. When I look at photos of kitchens that are in France, I see a lot of modern elements mingling with vintage elements. Sort of like things got replaced when they needed to be replaced and if the old tile floor was still in good shape then it stayed. Also, though the cabinets have modern lines, the wood grain looks very rustic to me.

Palimpsest, I adore avocado green and feel a little sad when I see it mocked on these forums. So, let's say that my kitchen has a beautiful avocado green range with a copper hood.

o

mcmjilly, I really liked the modern riff you have going, interpreting Country French while using more sleek materials. I also like the idea of having the floor be the only element that nods to a more ornate country feel. The yellow accents in the floor tie in a bit with the warm tones of your modern wood cabinets, too. If this was my kitchen, instead of changing the modern cabinets (which I like) I might try a sideboard with the same weathered white look, but straighter, less frilly lines, because I think it might play more happily with the pleasing mod vibe you have going elsewhere. That way the finish/texture of the sideboard would still be country, but the lines would be more modern. Fun interpretation.

If some manufacturer offered a modern range in Avocado Green, I'd consider it, I get so hungry for some color. My current stove is a 60's Frigidaire Flair with the retracting cooktop. The original paint was turquoise, but unfortunately somebody painted it beige in the last 45 years. I've considered repainting it turquoise (don't know if it's possible to save the old finish.)

Sochi, what a great kitchen. Your rooms always seem to have a more creative and interesting feel than I can achieve (drinking more wine doesn't seem to be helping.) I love how the round shapes in the bracket echo the shapes in your tile and in both rugs, and I think it's a great blend of modern and traditional elements. Beautiful colors, and the light fixture is such a wonderful fit with all the weathered white furnishings. I think it's a very cohesive and clear room design. Sorry the Olioboard is such a time suck (I know.)

Pal, I'm sorry I didn't study the blue loft kitchen more carefully well before it went poof. I will look for it again later.

dee850, thank you for jumping in here. I am a newbie to French Country too, but I don't see why your kitchen wouldn't qualify. The toile print (love the red drapes), the style of the table and chairs, the bright colors, and the traditional tile work for me. I like the richness of the wooden countertops between the tile and the gray painted cabinets, because I'm leaning towards that for my someday kitchen. (You are right about this becoming addicting.)

Anna, what a wonderful experience for you. I'm envious of you who have traveled, because I'm sure it deepens your understanding of these styles. Sochi's beautiful images from her own travels really add to the feel of this thread. I love your kitchen (now, mine feels cartoonish when I view it!) Your room has a very real and solid feel to it. The touch of the family photo on the wall is perfect.

o

Avocado and Gold (or some close version thereof)are often recommended in the Decorating Forum as paint or fabric colors: I guess the only sin is having an appliance this color.

I still maintain it's not the individual appliance, but it's associations that are the real negative--as I said in the HD forum it's the kitchens with these appliances where they tried to "shove 10 lbs of 70s S--- into a 5 lb bag" that are ugly, not the appliance color in and of itself

My pics should reappear after the 31st when photobucket resets itself.

o
since I can't post any more pictures

Since I can't do any more French Kitchens, what do we think is going to happen next?

This may be my impetus to do Olioboards...

o

I'm keen to do modern rustic (rusic modern?). It's another "theme," but I think that it is a sufficiently different look that it would be fine. Others that I'm interested in are Hollywood Regency, Steampunk and commercial kitchens/restaurant supply.

I can't believe we've done 13 of these already.

Here's the list again:

Materials
Knotty pine
Metal cabinetry
Interesting tile (we can do this one over and over)
Vetrazzo
Marmoleum graphic series
Back-painted glass
Commercial Kitchens/Restaurant Supply

Defining the Home
Spanish Colonial Revival
Craftsman
Prarie School
1930s
1940s
1950s
1960s
1970s
Pimp this kitchen (choose home/kitchen from real estate listing)
Beach House
Mash-up house (what do you do with a house that is already a mash-up of styles, like a Mission-style Queen Anne)

Theme/Decorating Styles
Steampunk
Eclectic
Starting from clothing fashions as your inspiration pic, design a kitchen that suits the era/mood/style
Rustic Modern Cottage
Hollywood Regency
Scandinavian

Budget/Supply restrictions
$10K budget
Ikea kitchen (all Ikea?)
Mail order kitchen
Home Depot kitchen
Architectural salvage/upcycle/recycle

Define the People
Mid-life crisis bachelor (or cougar) pad
Rabid sports fan wants to decorate in team colors

Presentation Strategies that Can Be Combined with Other Choices
This/Not That (Good taste/bad taste, works/doesn't work)
High/Low (same look, different budgets)

What we have done so far:
1) Apple Jasper
2) Colonial Revived
3) 1920's Kitchens and All That Jazz
4) Formica Patterns are Coooool!
5) Neo-Tuscan/TuscAmerican
6) I'm Dreaming of a White Kitchen, But...
7) Victorian/Queen Anne
8) Animal 'Prints'
9) Keeping the Golden Oak
10) Tarting Up a Tudor (posted as #9)
11) Pink for the Present Day
12) 1960s tract house
13) French Country

o

If anybody could find good pictures maybe we could add an Avocado or Harvest Gold appliances challenge :)

o

I'm all for rustic modern cottage (that's listed under theme/decorating styles). Is that what you want to do Cawaps? I can do rustic cottage and it will be fun to try some modern elements.

o

I'm certainly keen on rustic modern. I had said rustic modern cottage, but I think just rustic modern is okay - unless people want to limit it to a cottage type building.

I like the idea of an Avocado or Harvest Gold challenge too.

I want to do steampunk mostly because I want to post that how to do steampunk video as instructions. I must confess that the guy singing that song ("Just Put Some Gears on It") has become Marcolo in my mind's eye. Oh what heck, just in case you missed the thread in December, here it is again.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to do Steampunk

o

I never get tired of that video, it just makes me happy.

I'm up for trying anything others would enjoy.

o

A couple of questions came up on the board that made me want to do rustic modern (but not cottage). One was someone doing the kitchen in an apartment over a barn; the other was someone trying to meld her preference for modern with her husband's hunting lodge esthetic.

Harvest gold and avocado sounds fun, too, but since I've used green and gold appliances (from Viking; not the 70s shades, of course) in recent kitchens, I don't know if it will be much of a stretch.

o

We definitely need to add avocado and harvest gold to the mix. There's a regular riot in progress over in the Home Desecrating forum, where it's been decided that no appliances can ever be in color because some people had green ones, once. Just stainless steel and white, which are timeless because they always beautifully complement your seven year old dried flower wreaths.

As far as the next project, steampunk, rustic modern, Hollywood Regency are all fine by me. I will try to be a good citizen and participate. It's a crazy month but it looks like pal is doing too much work.

If we do steampunk we definitely need some reading assignments. We should ask plllog to make a guest post--she knew them when.

o

lavender_lass - May I ask you for details on "Debbie's" chandelier? It is beautiful!

And I must say that you are all so incredibly talented! These boards are lovely! I really enjoy reading all of the "Design Around This" threads. :) (So much kitchen eye candy and creativity!)

o

Wow, this forum moves along! I'm still studying up on French kitchens (hope to be done in a week or two). If this thread goes to 150 I respectfully request that it have a companion followup thread (assuming I finally get my moodboard done).

And I'm still thinking about that PINK one and some more ideas for it. (Athelstan and his wife are shopping again.)

As for future DAT threads, there are always 1950s faux "colonial" maple dining sets to design around.

o

I agree with the previously expressed notion that these threads should be considered "open ended" so we can all go back and add boards or comments as we'd like. I usually work at a turtle pace and it's relaxing to know there's no great pressure to finish a board because a new thread is popping up. "Part 2" continuation threads are great too.

I have another Country French board that is not behaving so I may or may not keep pummeling it into submission. Please tell Athelstan to keep shopping.

(I may have to wander over to find the riot over colored appliances.)

o

Bellajourney- Here's a link, to the chandelier. Glad you like it :)

It also comes with shades (option of four colors). If you do an image search, for 'french country chandelier' you'll se it's availble at other sites, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Chandelier

o

I also am a little slow in putting together a design. I am having some difficulty getting Olioboard to cooperate with producing an image, but hopefully I can post one soon. I really like the idea of keeping these threads open ended as I'm tempted to go back and contribute to some older threads now that I've been able to get my toes wet and find out the water is nice and warm in here. I'm certainly no french country expert, but part of why I love these threads is the opportunity to see and explore ideas outside of my comfort zone. Thanks for the great fun and inspiration.

pps7 - I adore your whole design and concept. I can't speak for the backsplash being parisan vs country, but I think it's lovely.

sochi - I love your latest as well. I really like the blues, the textures, and the tile.

anna_chosak - I really like how you brought in the bold blue cabinets and that lovely tile, yet everything is unfussy and welcoming.

I realize I haven't been participating as long, but I'm enamored with the idea of Steampunk as an upcoming DAT thread. How fun!

o

Pricklypear, I'm no Olioboard expert, but if the difficulty perists, I'd be happy to try to help. You could post a question to the About the Design Around This threads topic, since that's a good place for "how to" stuff. Others might be running into the same problem, and maybe we can figure it out.

You posted: ...part of why I love these threads is the opportunity to see and explore ideas outside of my comfort zone. Exactly, me too!

o

I love these threads! I am too busy to do the homework to participate on the last few "Design around this" threads but do like to look at what others have done...you have all done marvelously! I would love to see a re-creating the 70's modern kitchen or Hollywood glam designs.

Pal, what has happened to all your pictures? Is it my computer or have they disappeared?

o

lavender_lass - Thank you so much! :)

o

My pictures should come back up on January 31 or Feb 1st when my "allowance" resets.
I used too much free Photobucket in January.

o

Thanks pal, can't wait to have a look!

o

Wonderful story Anna, sounds like a great experience. I like your kitchen too, more blue!

Sounds like modern rustic next, steampunk soon. We can probably wait a day or two for the next thread to start, it sounds like there are a few people working on French Country. Yes to threads staying open-ended, people should feel free to post kitchens on any of them.

o

Pal,
I so missed your pictures of the Green Demolitions Kitchen!
Would you be so kind to repost at least one?

o

I really know very little about French Country except what I read for this design, but I thought I'd give this a try anyway. I imagined a family moving to an old farmhouse, perhaps even a stone farmhouse somewhere in the Eastern US. They love the soft colors and rustic aesthetic of French Country. Centering the design around the beautiful blue La Cornue range with chrome and copper trim, I thought light wood cabinets and a rustic farmhouse island would be pleasing. I imagine paneled fridge and dishwasher and a mixture of rustic metals. I thought a soft gray limestone floor and marble counters would develop a beautiful soft and rustic patina over time. I love the light blues and yellows of French Country, so I included a soft yellow paint for the walls and blue and yellow curtains, along with a beautiful blue and white tile backsplash. A small kitchen table with bentwood chairs seemed perfect for a country family kitchen. Beautiful copper pots could be stored under the farmhouse island with a few stools for casual conversation, and herbs and flowers would be used to accessorize.

Pricklypearcactus French Country

o

Prickly- Nice job! Many of those elements are what I'd want in a french country kitchen :)

o

Great job prickly, I like the yellow and blue colour scheme. Have you noticed that your light fixture seems to be THE french light fixture of choice?? Palimpsest and I both chose it for our French Country kitchens, and mtnrdredux actually owns it. Great light!

Can we start the rustic modern thread now? Others should feel free to continue posting in French country though. Who wants to start the thread?

o

Sochi, I own that Chandelier! I would to see what ideas pop up in a rustic modern kitchen.

o

pps7, you're kidding? It's official, most popular Gardenweb chandelier ever.

o

Thanks for the encouragement! Sochi, I think you're right, that is the quintessential french light fixture isn't it? I tried to mix it up a little with the different pendants over the island, but I do really like the shape of that chandelier.

I'm really looking forward to the rustic modern. A lot of the homes close the ski resorts near my home would really do well with rustic modern interiors. I can't wait to see the great ideas.

o

Pricklypearcactus, very nice kitchen! I like all of the elements, and the soft clean colors. I also like the pendant light you chose to go over the island.

I've given up on my attempt at a second country french kitchen for now (maybe some day) so I'll try to wrap my mind around rustic modern. I'm looking forward to seeing ideas too.

o

My pictures are back up and a couple people had asked because they'd not seen them so I am bumping this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here