Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightowlrn

If you could design my kitchen ...

nightowlrn
9 years ago

I don't plan to hire anyone for a year. But, I want to start thinking about things. I know some here like to have fun with ideas, so figured I would give this a shot.

Why do we want to change? The cooktop and hood is 36 inches and not very good. The sink and island are small and not very easy to work with. The frige is small. I would like storage on each side of the island where currently there is just a sink, trash, and DW now. Most of the storage is cabinets and I would like drawers. Dogs have chewed the cabinets ....

We plan to stay here 10-15 years and I am willing to invest 50-75K. I really don't want to move walls. The house was built in 2009, so it has most of the electric needs available. There is a gas cooktop on the 13'6" wall and plumbing in an island. There is currently a 6 inch pipe in the 13'6" wall. There is a finished basement with wine storage and a full kitchen below and bedrooms and a hall above. The stairs are between the front door and study and there are 3 bedrooms up.

We love to cook and entertain. Often our friends cook with us and sit and chat as we cook - we like to put appetizers out in the kitchen as we entertain. We both cook and sometimes one is cooking while the other is cleaning up. We want a microwave and 48 inch cooktop and hood. We would like space for a few to sit and chat or help prep and have a view of the TV. Also, perhaps a raised area to put entertaining snacks on. Would like to learn to bake and starting to learn to can. There is plenty of room for food items in the pantry and room in the laundry and garages for overflow kitchen pots, pans, fondue, slow cooker, etc. I do have a number of different dish sets and glasses.

I would like either a very large sink (stages 45?) so we can prep and clean at the same time or two sinks. 1 DW is fine. I would like a mixer with a rising shelf. I would like a 48 inch frig. We have freezer in the basement, but need some freezer in the event we can't get to the basement as we age.

{{gwi:2139212}}

This post was edited by nightowlrn on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 3:13

Comments (5)

• sena01
    9 years ago

Just a quick idea.

I changed a wall and entry.Traffic could pass through your cooking and prep but, since you seem to like cooking/prepping with friends, this may work for you.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I would be quite happy with sena01's version of your kitchen. Here are some check questions for you⦠Where will the broom and vacuum go? Where are the trash cans going to go? You need one for wet garbage by both of the sinks, and you probably need another for recyclables. Have you looked into using under cabinet drawers as opposed to just under cabinets? That is an odd corner in the pantry will it make that one third of the pantry unusable? You may be better off squaring the pantry either by making that odd corner into the closet for your brooms and vacuums or by just squaring it into a corner or turn the angled bit of wall into the door to the pantry. Why do you have the pantry opening up in the middle of the hallway? The range is now in the center of your house in an open floor plan. You should carefully review the posts on this website discussing range hood, noise and venting issues. I am presuming that you are putting in a fancy fridge that will look like some kind of attractive cabinet, and not like a refrigerator if that is NOT the case then I would move the fridge into the far corner that you have currently labeled baking.

• nightowlrn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the help. I apologize for not responding sooner. I left town and didn't have internet for a few days.

The pantry -- the odd corner is actually quite useful. The angled wall is perfect for all my spices using an Elfa wall shelf system and a fire extinguisher. The pantry holds everything we need food-wise and then some. We keep a small Dyson vacuum in the hall closet and other vacuums on the other floors. The first is mostly hardwood. Brooms are on a hanger in the garage just by the door. The area by the back hall closet used to be empty, but we are in the process of filling the wall with cubbies, coat hooks, and a long bench.

I really like the idea of putting the frig in the space closer to the formal dining area. The area is 48 inches wide and 36 deep, so that might work. That space now has a beverage frig, counter, and glassware wall cabinet. There is already electric and getting water there would be easy. That would allow the L of the kitchen to be all one level of countertop and sinks.

Would it be complicated to add a sink 4 feet way from existing plumbing? I really like the idea of the wash up sink on the garage wall and a prep sink in the island!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Sena- Nice plan! :)

• nightowlrn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sena -- I think the wall and current opening need to stay as is. As wonderful as your work is.... There is ducting going up along the wall with the opening. My home isn't a new build. But, I REALLY like the idea of moving the frig closer to the great room. Would make those lost minute runs to the formal dining room nice, too. Thank you!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County