Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krg_ga

Soapstone experience in Atlanta?

krg_ga
16 years ago

I thought I was sure of the granite I wanted but I keep looking at soapstone photos on this forum and having second thoughts. I have a small counter (about 25 sq. ft.) so I may be able to make it work but it will be way over my budget. Has anyone on this forum had any good/bad with soapstone fabricators in Atlanta? I have spoken with the granite yard I was working with and they have a few slabs that I plan to see this weekend. They said the prices range from $90 to $124 a sq. ft. Any questions I need to ask them that are specific to soapstone

If it's too far out of my budget, what is a good granite alternative? I think the matte finish would a nice change from the shiny granite everyone else seems to have.

I have had so many good ideas from this forum: Kohler Vinnata (I just stare at it in the box until I finalize the counter), air switch for disposal, Never MT, Xenon undercounter lights(on a dimmer)and more!

Comments (8)

• krg_ga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mayland, thanks for the info. AtlantaIntown is the place I have been working with so far. Are you happy with the job they did? I have been there countless times trying to make up my mind and they are very patient and very low-pressure. I am going there this weekend to look at their SS slabs. When I spoke with them over the phone, they said they might me able to work on the price if I chose a slab they have in stock.

• dixielogs
    16 years ago

Plumorchard on here is just outside of Atlanta

• fightingoverfinishes
    16 years ago

I used Atlanta Intown for my Soapstone and overall I was pleased. I used a different supplier (than they usually use)-A place in Austell that carries Beleza from Dorado Soapstone (you can see it on-line at www.doradosoapstone.com or www.sefsoapstone.com). I ended up paying 105 a square foot-but I LOVE my stone. I have about 25 samples of soapstone if you want them. More than half are from M.Tex but the rest are from various suppliers in Atlanta. Would you like to have them? I am in East Cobb. spacezebra@earthlink . net

• vrjames
    16 years ago

krg
    for a small 25sf top, the best and most economical pricing will always be a fabricators remnant rack, the next best is their stock materials as they will price based on just what you need.

This includes Soapstone. Have you settled on this or are you still open?

The fabricators Mayland suggested are all excellant, as well as Premier Surfaces, she may have caught them at an "off" moment. I know the manager personally.

The real question is where are you in the metro area. I can give you the names of a few companies near you and you can start your search from there.

-

• krg_ga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live intown(ITP), only about two miles from AtlantaIntown Granite. I was all set to get one of their in stock granite choices but I wanted to wait until after the holidays to schedule it. They have already been out to template, I didn't think I would have these last minute doubts. I am going to look some more this weekend. I have my sink, faucet and new disposal ready to go but I keep stalling about the counters. I initially thought I would get a shiny black granite and changed my mind after seeing it in friends' houses. I think the smudges and water marks would drive me crazy. I was all set to go with a lighter granite, Giallo Ornamental, but when I saw the soapstone I new I needed to think some more.

FYI- My place is traditional/Williamsburg style and the cabinets will be painted white. Floors are medium oak. Wallcolor will be chosen once counters are in.

• nancy_east
    16 years ago

Fightingoverfinishes,

I have a question for you about your soapstone. Did Atlanta Intown Granite install your soapstone that you purchased from the place in Austell (I'm assuming that place in SE Fabricators?). I have received a quote for soapstone from Atlanta Intown but they're a little vague on where their slabs are from and I'd much rather go with Beleza from Dorado Soapstone since I know I like it and I've heard good things about it's durability.

I live near Asheville, NC (Waynesville) and received a quote on Beleza from a local fabricator that was absolutely ridiculous and I'm looking for an alternative so thought I would ask you how you went about doing things. The trip charge Atlanta Intown charges isn't too terrible and still beats the price I got here in Waynesville.

Any advice is most appreciated! I really want soapstone but I just can't pay $150/sq ft. for it!! (what I was quoted here esssentially).

• farmhousebound
    16 years ago

As far as fabrication goes, I can highly recommend Stonehenge. I can't remember who on here suggested them, but based on that recommendation I stopped by their shop to discuss the possibility of them fabricating the soapstone pieces we purchased from M. Texiera. While there, I saw a soapstone vanity piece that I fell in love with and was able to purchase at a really good price since it already had a sink cutout. They had to do some more fabrication to fit my vanity, but we picked up this weekend along with a marble vanity top they fabricated for us and was very pleased with both. I plan on using them when we have our kitchen countertops fabricated. Lisa is great to work with, has great ideas, and is really knowledgeable on soapstone as they have done several kitchens although she admits the price turns a lot of people off of it. If the soapstone will not work for you, she will suggest other stone based on your needs.