Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lf123_gw

Is there a resale market for 50+ yr old metal cabinets?

LF123
13 years ago

I have a 58 yr old kitchen that still has the original cabinets that are metal. My GC and decorator have heard that there is a resale market for these? My decorator even thinks they are cool! Before they are ripped out and placed on the front curb, I thought I should research this- according to my initial research they were the top line back in that day. Does anyone have any information of this?

I, also, have the original range that is 58 years old. It is a 40 in GE that resembles a studebaker with 2 ovens. In the 30 years I have lived in the house, I have only had to replace the light bulb. It will not die!!!!

I am rewarding myself with new everything as nothing in this kitchen will die young!!

Comments (36)

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Yes, I'd guess you'll have no trouble finding takers for both---there are definitely lovers of old stoves and steel cabinets out there! How much you'll get for them depends on where you live, what kind of condition they're in, and how common they are in your area, but if you run an ad on your local Craigslist (and see what's already on there) you'll get a better sense of it. There's bound to be someone going for a vintage look on a budget who will love them. You might also be able to find someone who will come remove them in exchange for taking them out of there, which could save on demo and disposal costs, too.

• kathec
    13 years ago

Yes, someone somewhere will want these. You might just find though that brand new stuff doesn't last or hold up as well as your "will not die" cabs or range.

Someone recently put some metal cabinets up on craigslist in my area. They were turquoise, someone snatched them up within a week.

If you can't sell them, donate them to Habitat for Humanity Re-store.
    Good luck!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

At one point I was seriously considering actual vintage metal cabs for our kitchen but could never come up with as many as we needed, so wimped out and are doing white thermofoil slab fronts in hopes of approximating the look.
    I know CL is a good place, and ebay as well. You can google "architectural salvage" and see what is near you. You may get some good money for them if they are in decent shape.

• antss
    13 years ago

Sure - but it's not huge and you'll have to do some work to market them.

• laughablemoments
    13 years ago

I'd love to know where you are. . .
    My DH would like to get some more of these cabs. (We currently have 1 sink base w/ enamel sink that we are very fond of.) They are such sturdy cabs. Is your stove a 6 burner? I just posted a newer vintage stove we're considering on my thread "mom of 6" here at GW.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

LF - just curious... where are you and how wide is your sink cabinet?

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

YES! There is a whole 'cult' out there who would snatch those up. I am in that group. If anyone is looking, I know where there is a sink base w/sink. North Iowa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Renovation

• skyedog
    13 years ago

The following is a link to the postwar steel cabinet forum on Retro Renovation. I think her site is hard to navigate and it isn't easy to see that you can post cabinets for sale there or at least get an idea how much they sell for.

I sent the same route as Marcy and put my St. Charles cabinets in my laundry room. They are fantastic cabinets and look like the day they were put in (1964).

Here is a link that might be useful: postwar steel cabinets

• davidaanderson
    12 years ago

Here is a link to some vintage metal St. Charles cabinets currently for sale on the Retro Renovation website.

http://retrorenovation.com/2012/04/06/custom-green-1964-st-charles-kitchen/

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage St. Charles Metal Cabinets on Ebay

• manyquestions
    11 years ago

I'm really late to the party here, but if anyone is still looking at this thread, I have a full set of St. Charles butter yellow cabinets with walnut doors on the upper cabinets for sale. Contact me if you're interested. rojodeuce@yahoo.com

• peggy62
    11 years ago

I have a full kitchen of vintage St. Charles metal cabinets that we will be removing for a kitchen remodel.Originally they were turquoise, then painted yellow and most recently electrostatically painted white. Large kitchen with lots of cabinets. Would like them to find a new home and not be trashed.

• susiemw
    11 years ago

I have a single white upper metal cabinet and the original metal cabinet for a cast iron double dish drainer sink.. .wish I had more.

there is an architectural salvage place in Kalamazoo that has had these on occasion.

If anyone has white or tourquoise metal cabinets I'd be interested. I'm in northern Indiana.

Susan

• eleena
    11 years ago

Manyquestions,

I have e-mailed you.

Tx!

• lklingner
    10 years ago

Hi -- I'm in the market for metal cabinets in good shape. I'm in Asheville, NC, but am willing to get a truck and come to you.. We're re-doing a house circa 1960 and am need of just about everything from that era. THanks!

Leslie

• pealetva
    10 years ago

Dear Leslie,
    we are located in Alexandria, VA (possibly driving distance for you) and are just finishing our kitchen renovation and have a complete set of base and wall metal cabinets from 1957. They are generally in good shape considering their age and free of dents, except for some rust under the former sink cabinet that can be refinished. Please see the photo, I can send more if you are interested in buying them for your remodel.
    Sincerely, Gunnar

• Tim
    10 years ago

I'd suggest there's a very strong market for metal cabinets.

Check out Garage Journal (website). It's where those of us who prefer to deck out our workshops hang out and you'd be amazed at some of the shops out there. Metal kitchen cabinets would be scooped up very quickly I'd expect.

• ksalomone
    8 years ago

I have a full St. Charles Kitchen in Melon Green (a light celery color). Excellent condition with only a couple of scratches/areas needing paint touch up. 4 full upper cabinets (8 doors), 1 single upper cabinet (1 door), 1 large upper cabinet above wall oven (2 doors), 2 single upper corner cabinets (2 doors), 2 small cabinet sets above refrigerator and stove (4 doors), 4 lower drawers (circular pull outs), 1 set of lower cabinets under the sink with one pull out shelf (2 doors), 1 set of lower cabinets under the counter top stove with 4 pull out shelves (2 doors), 1 lower cabinet with two shelves (2 doors), 2 large drawers under the single wall oven, 1 large bread drawer, 1 large drawer with 3 sections for pans, 5 standard size drawers. All original hardware. Contact me at kelly.salomone@yahoo.com if intersted in purchasing. Best offer. Available immediately. New York state.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Best place to get the word out are retro sites like www.retrorenovation.com

• Teresa Bailey
    8 years ago

Hi -- I am looking for a full set of metal kitchen cabinets in good shape to re-do my kitchen. I'm in the Asheville area of NC, but am open to any area in this region. Also open to any brand or color. Please email me with photos and price: teresabailey72@gmail.com

• Rebecca Mumaw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Retro Renovation is no longer operating their listing section. I would like to list a full set of Geneva cabinets with the enamel sink, GE P7 self cleaning oven and Kitchenaire oven fan - painted white with pink insides. Can contact me at greenat50@yahoo.com. Eastern Iowa

• helferl5
    7 years ago

I have a whole set of metal cabinets with enamel sink. I believe they are GE uppers have frosted glass sliding doors. Contact me at helferl5@hotmail.com

South central North Dakots

• jwood0879
    6 years ago

I have a complete set of Original Beauty Queen kitchen cabinets. We had the paint professionally stripped. There are 2 coats of paint on them presently. I live in the Detroit area. I am looking to sell the entire set. Please contact me at jwood0879@gmail if interested. I’m happy to provide pictures.

• Kent Tutak
    5 years ago

Have a set of white Sears-Roebuck kitchen cabinets. They will need refurbishing. If you are interested I can send pictures. Contact me at ktutak@cox.net.

• aok27502
    5 years ago

Does retrorenovation still have their classifieds section? I always had trouble finding it on their site. I still have the 1963 Frigidaire Flair stove from Dad's house, would love for it to go to a loving new home rather than the dump.

• Jasper Helling
    5 years ago

Due to renovation we have a complete St Charles Metal Cabinets kitchen for sale - please email me for more details at jasperhelling@gmail.com

• Kate Hebert
    4 years ago

We just purchased this house and these 1953 Geneva metal retro cabinets are in it. Located in Western MA would love to sell the complete set. you can email me at kate.hebert@checkwriters.com 413-427-1750

• Pamela Cuffe
    3 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen and have a full set of St. Charles metal cabinets. White and some of the cabinets have walnut colored wooden doors. Selling the whole set and located in Ok. Willing to work with anyone that is interested in getting them to you. You can email me at pjcuffe@gmail.com

• HU-451077721
    3 years ago

You wouldn’t happen to have prints on how these cabinets come apart? Trying to remove one to install a dishwasher if so reply to

victhegrip@gmail.com

thank you

• Pamela Cuffe
    3 years ago

I’m sorry I don’t. My contractor removed them and it seemed that they just unscrewed them from the wall. They also have screws connecting them to each other. I hope that helps.

• A R
    3 years ago

We have a full set of Geneva yellow cabinets that we are selling. We are remodeling our kitchen.

• HU-981584449
    2 years ago

If anyone is selling a St Charles set that includes a blind corner base (any condition), please contact me: jaap.pippo@gmail.com

• Tricia Bullock Bush
    last year

I have an American kitchen with double drain sink that we want to sell but I'm wondering what we should ask for a ballpark price. I appreciate any information or suggestions anyone may have. Thank you!

• Jac Bol
    last year

I have a fabulous turquoise St. Charles vintage kitchen set of cabinets in great condition

, if anyone is in the market, they are listed on Ebay.

• Patrick Logan
    11 months ago

I have Vintage General Electric cabinets (and the original oven) available. Located about 40 minutes north of NYC.

Email plogan2482@gmail.com

• Cindy Glenn
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Anyone have an idea what a fair price would be for these cabinets. These were in my childhood home in the 50's and my recently deceased father had kept them in the basement of our home.