Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamarahl

Kohler Stages 33 Sink in Island Question

tamarahl
11 years ago

I've been searching all the photos I can of people's prep sinks in their islands, as I try to come up with the perfect one for mine. I had thought a round sink would work, but I came across the Stages 33 in several people's kitchens (beekeepers wife, carecooks and one other, whose name escapes me at the moment), and am very intrigued. In all three examples I found, I see they put the sink on the long end of their island. I plan to have a 48 inch wide island (it will be 8 feet long) and am wondering if it makes sense to put the Stages sink on the end, in the 48 inch section. It would be across from the cooktop if it were in the short side of the island, and would free up space along the long side of the island. I would only have 15 inches of counterspace, however, immediately adjacent to the Stages 33. Am I missing something? Is there a reason everyone else is putting this sink on the corner but with the shelf to the left on the long side of their islands? Also, does anyone who owns the 33 Stages have any negative thoughts about the sink? TIA.

Comments (12)

• lzhwong
    11 years ago

I am curious as well. I too have an island(4ft by 10ft) and would like to put the kohler stages 33 sink on the short end. I'm wondering if 7 inches on each side is enough counter space.

• lzhwong
    11 years ago

I am curious as well. I too have an island(4ft by 10ft) and would like to put the kohler stages 33 sink on the short end. I'm wondering if 7 inches on each side is enough counter space.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I wouldn't want it there, not enough room to prep. You need more than just the cutting board area to stage (no pun intended) stuff for slicing dicing and washin'.

With mine on the long side, it allows for me to have 2 people using that sink at once--one person standing on the short side and one on the right. Has been perfect for us. Note, there are no faucets, or soap pumps or air switches on the right, to allow access for someone on the short side to reach the sink. WE also can put a pot on the counter and fill it, turn and put on stove.

• muskokascp
    11 years ago

It's a prep sink = heavy worker in the kitchen. You will absolutely need and want more counter space beside it to be able to prep properly. I have the 33" stages in my island with about 6" on the side that faces the fridge (this is nice because there is just enough room to plop things from the Rf onto the island) and the rest of the long side of the island on the other. I have a large island (10'4") and believe me, during prep time stuff gets spread out beside the sink!

• lzhwong
    11 years ago

muskokascp - Thank you for sharing your picture. Someone mentioned that when the work side of the sink is on short side of the island, it probably won't work very well. I noticed that the workside of your sink is on the short side. Have you encountered any issues? My installation will be similar to yours with the work side on the short side. Thanks!

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, all. I appreciate all the photos. It appears no one has anything bad to say about this sink!

Muskokascp, do you have the sink in a 36 inch cabinet or some other custom configuration? The idea of having 6 inches of counter to the left of your sink, to have a small landing zone for items from the fridge, sounds smart. Just wondering if it fits naturally like that or you needed to Jerry rig something with the framing underneath.

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

Like Bee and Musko, I wouldn't want to put the sink going the short way....I always feel that you need a farily large area for staging--clean veggies etc, place them down and then scrap excess into sink. That means you'll need at least 12" to the right or left of the sink, preferably 18". I like having the sink to my right because I'm right handed--I chop and then then scrap excess outward down into the sink. My last sink was to the left though and still worked fine, but I do like more "staging" space.

• muskokascp
    11 years ago

I actually find the work side, for me, is the cutting board side. A quick rinse, wash and up it goes to the cutting board. I suppose having more space on both sides is ideal but I didn't want the sink in the middle of the island . Having a long unbroken run of counter on the island was more appealing to me than having lots of counter space on both sides of the sink.

The sink is in a 36" cabinet and there is 4" of filler beside the sink. This with the counter overhang gives just over 7" of counter on the short side of the sink.

As much as the stages sink is wonderful, I have to say the Karbon faucet is that much better and is so functionaal especially with the sink.

Hope the pics help!

• Allison M
    8 years ago

I have plenty of room in the island but, my cabinet is only 33". Can I still fit this sink and just not use the lower portion. I don't really need the metal shelves.

• jennbo
    8 years ago

Attn to: muskokasp, beekeeperswife, and amillenaker: Do you have a disposal in the sink? From the inside cabinet photo of muskokascp, there doesn't appear to be a disposal.

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have a disposal in mine, which is a knock version of the Kohler 33 sink.

• bbtrix
    8 years ago

There's no issue with the disposal, and you also can very easily cut off the middle shelves.