Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

michelle16 & anyone else interested- custom cabinet quotes are in

beaglesdoitbetter1
13 years ago

michelle16- we got our quote from oxford. They came in at just over $36,000 but he said they weren't sure if he had gotten every detail and we'd have to sit down again if we wanted to make sure. So, he's about $2000 more expensive than Dutchwood.

We saw the Dutchwood cabinets on Saturday and they were great. Very small showroom but it had everything you'd need to see in it (all kinds of pullouts, soft close drawers, hoods, appliance garages, etc.). We're actually going to a house on thursday of a lady who used them who worked w/ our builder in the past and will get to see her whole kitchen.

Comments (35)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump to make sure michelle16 saw :)

• Tom
    13 years ago

Thanks I was wondering how you did. Does Dutchwood have a web site?

Thanks

Tom

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nope no website.

Here's the contact info if you are interested:
    Dutch Wood LLC
    1317 Hilltop Road, Myerstown, PA 17067-1760
    (717) 933-5133 âÂÂ

It is worth the trip out. His prices and cabinets he had on display impressed me so much, we are currently getting a quote from him to do all the built-ins in the house (there's a lot of them) I'm pretty fussy too, or so I've been told. One other thing I like is he's actually going to make me a sample door since we "made our own" from a conglomeration of the multiple doors there, and he's going to put my paint samples on that so I'll have a full cabinet door to work w/ when checking paint. Overall, I just got a great feeling about it. I hope it turns out as well as I think it will!

It will be a while, but I'll post updates...

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nope no website.

Here's the contact info if you are interested:
    Dutch Wood LLC
    1317 Hilltop Road, Myerstown, PA 17067-1760
    (717) 933-5133 âÂÂ

It is worth the trip out. His prices and cabinets he had on display impressed me so much, we are currently getting a quote from him to do all the built-ins in the house (there's a lot of them) I'm pretty fussy too, or so I've been told. One other thing I like is he's actually going to make me a sample door since we "made our own" from a conglomeration of the multiple doors there, and he's going to put my paint samples on that so I'll have a full cabinet door to work w/ when checking paint. Overall, I just got a great feeling about it. I hope it turns out as well as I think it will!

It will be a while, but I'll post updates...

• Tom
    13 years ago

Thanks!

Let us know how your visit goes on Thursday to see a finished kitchen.

Is Dutch Wood amish?

Thanks again for posting your experience with different companies.

Tom

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Most of the lancaster cabinet makers are, I believe, actually mennonite (a fact which I just learned). He is mennonite too I think.

I'll update after tomorrows visit.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update on the kitchen visit. Dutchwood had done a kitchen, bar and closets in the house we went to go see and all were beautiful. Soft close and pull outs all worked perfectly, finishes were lovely, carvings were lovely, etc. The closet was amazing (I know we went to look at kitchens- but it was really a work of art).

At this point, we're definitely having dutchwood do the kitchens and we're also getting a quote on having him do the whole house cabinetry (built ins, closets, etc.)

• Tom
    13 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback,we will give them a call. Hopefully they will come to NJ. We are about 2 hours from them. If so we will visit them in the next few weeks.

Keep us in the loop as how it all goes.

Thanks again.

Tom

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

So glad that you found someone to meet both your budget and your expectations (so far)I cannot wait to see pictures!!

Even though we'e already picked our cabinet maker, since we're in the same general area if everything works out well with your kitchen I'll add your cabinet maker to my list of recommendations :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's great! I'm sure he will come to New Jersey- we are about 1 1/2 away from him so you are only a little farther. You can tell him Christy & Kyle told you to call. We're still waiting for our built-ins to be priced, so maybe he'll give us a discount if he thinks we are sending people to him already :) J/K (kinda)

I'll update as we get more quotes and as we get started w/ things. He's going to send us a "sample door" as I may have said and I will also post a picture here for you of that if it comes before you get a chance to go down there.

I hope it works out for you guys! I am super excited about my kitchen going forward and I really think it will turn out as well as I'm hoping (if I can just solve my sink problems I posted about in another thread, lol)

• michelle16
    13 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter- just saw your post, hubby and I went on a cruise last week to the caribeann!! Thanks for getting back to me, i will def. keep them on my list and look into it as well, are you doing inset? and if not does he do that as well- i'm sure he does if he is custom, are you doing a glaze or just paint, i know you like that french look as I do as well, i just go back and forth between the glaze, thaks again, Michelle

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A cruise sounds lovely! I was hoping you had seen my post!

I definitely encourage you to call him/look into going to see him. As I said, he was several thousand dollars cheaper than Jacob and his kitchens were really beautiful. The lady whose kitchen we went to see was "fussy" (her words, the words of the tile/granite guy, etc. and she was very exacting- she made the tile people redo things like 3, 4, 5 times and she was very very happy w/ her kitchen, closets and bar). He really did a beautiful job for them.

As to your questions:

I am not doing inset for the kitchen, but I am doing inset for other rooms (bathrooms). The upcharge for inset is very inexpensive. The way he does quotes is great- you get a line by line description of everything you have picked, upgrades, etc. The cost to go to inset from standard doors was, for us, a $16.00 upgrade per door/drawer set.
    The glaze was somewhat more expensive. To upgrade from one of his included colors to a custom color was only $150 total for the entire kitchen (and he will pretty much match any color w/ that- the lady whose kitchen we went to see had him match the existing molding in her house). However, to do a glaze on our (very large) master bath was a $1044.00 upgrade. Granted, this was on over 20 feet of cabinetry and some framed mirrors so I guess that isn't that much, all things considered.

We got more quotes from back from him today that were great for built ins and the way things are shaping up, he is going to do the entire house (kitchen, 3 bathrooms, huge laundry room full of very, very custom cabinets (built around dog crates), great room, gathering room, conservatory, closets and pantry) for less than our original quote for just the kitchen and bathrooms.

And, it really is not like we are skimping on anything! All wood construction, soft close on everything (doors and drawers), glass doors (including some custom designed frosted glass), glass shelves where appropriate, beautiful carved moldings and detail, hand paintings on some cabinets, custom upholstered window seat kitchens, etc. etc. etc. etc.

He's also going to put electricity boxes in the vanity drawers for us (no charge), finish off crown molding above the doorways in the kitchen (no charge), make toe-kick covers (no charge), etc. etc.

If you would like, I can actually send you a copy of the line by line quote he's given to us for the kitchen so you can get a better idea. I won't post it on here, so you'd need to let me know who to email to.

• michelle16
    13 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter- thank you so much for all your information, i am very excited for you, your house is going to be amazing! I am very fussy as well, that's why I am trying to really do alot of research before hand, where is he located in PA, I am in Clinton, NJ, do you think that is a problem? are u far as well? Also not sure if I missed it, but are you getting your kitchen cabinets glazed? I am so confused on just the cream look or creme with a slight glaze, you seem like you have great taste,it's going to look great, I will keep u posted after I check into him, thanks again, Michelle

• Tom
    13 years ago

Michele16

Nice get away for a week, I hope u got a lot of rays!! lol

Our design is done we plan to go to the following companies in the next week or so:

Blue Mountain in Bath, Pa
    Dutchwood Meyerstown, PA
    Wellsford Cabinetry, Stowe, PA

We went to expo in flemington, got a quote for Decora cabinets, $22K, $3500 for install.

Where are you on your project?

Tom

• michelle16
    13 years ago

Hi Tom, yes it was so nice to go away from this horrible weather, hated to spend the $ with kitchen coming up, but much needed! LOL! I have only got one quote so far from a custom guy from Chatham,for 22,000 installed. After looking at other things I now want(fancier appliances- i think I could get a much better deal from some of these amish PA custom cab. makers, robinson is getting hers installed from oxford soon- she spent 15,000 sim. size to ours-waiting to see how it turns out, lucretzia's looks great, but basically I will prob. be checking out the same companies as you, so we can keep eachother posted, I guess I may not check out the expo in flem. because decora is semi custom and I wanted a price on their elmwood inset which is custom, so it will prob. be more, I think some of these Pa places are the way to go, I just hate that it is not local and so far, keep me posted, thanks, Michelle

• michelle16
    13 years ago

tom who did your design? I think I am going with morgan house interiors in town, michelle

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelle
    I am not getting my cabinets glazed of a number of reasons. Here was my whole thinking on the glazed issue, none of which may apply to you:
    - Kyle (DF) thinks the glaze makes the cabinets look "dirty." I am inclined to agree when the glazed cabinets are placed next to my marble countertops.
    - Glazed draws attention to the details on the cabinets (molding, etc.) = good
    - You notice the "glaze" more than the details though = bad
    - The grooves/molding is more likely to be the area that traps dust so I will be highlighting that = bad
    - Glazed is more expensive = bad
    - Glazed will add another color element to the kitchen (I already have the blue and white) = bad
    - Glazed is "fussier" and I want classic and timeless. I don't know if glazed cabinets are always going to be classic/timeless but I think that creamy white w/ marble is.

However, he did have a glazed cabinet in his show room so you can see how he does glazes.

Other questions:
    - He is located in meyerstown (I put in the address above). I don't know how far you are from them. We are a little over an hour away from him, and that didn't seem to be a problem at all.

Tom:
    We went to Wellsford. Their cabinets and show room were beautiful and they had some features we really liked (the way they did their lower pull outs for example) However, what turned me off from them a bit was they had a display w/ those cabinet baskets and the basket slide outs were ricketey and not smooth. (I know, that might be very silly- but I really didn't like that esp on a display). In addition, once I added in my details and stuff w/ them, my quote from them which started at like $41,000 jumped up to like $60,000. The guy was VERY nice though and most of their stuff was beautiful so if you aren't doing baskets and adding in all kinds of fancy interior organizers, that might not be an issue for you at all.

We did not do Blue Mountain but I did find a coupon for Blue Mountain in some online ad magazine. I know I originally saw the info about the coupon on this site and found the online magazine then, so if you haven't already, I'd find that before you go since I think it stipulated that it wasn't valid on jobs already quoted.

• Tom
    13 years ago

Michelle,

We did the design based on the existing layout. Was morgan house interiors prices fair?

beaglesdoitbetter

Thanks for the feedback, perhaps we will rethink using Wellsford. I will search to see if I can find a coupon for Blue Mountain. I sent them an e-mail last week asking a few questions, never heard back, I will just give them a call.

Tom

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the original thread that talked about that Blue Mountain coupon:
    http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0119334820295.html?7

• michelle16
    13 years ago

Tom, I spoke with a girl Vicki and she said the design would be 300.00 and that would be deducted if I used their cabs.(elmwood), Michelle

• michelle16
    13 years ago

I am going to try to reuse my granite, since it is only acouple years old and I do like it and keeping the existing layout, I will try to post pictures of current kitchen, let me know if you think the glaze would look better with my decor, my house is very french looking, so I think it would fit in more, but I am leaning towards just creme painted because of the same reasons u mentioned- it can look dirty, it can be done poorly, it can get outdated, etc. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure it out! Thanks again, Michelle

• Tom
    13 years ago

michelle16

Dutchwood Meyerstown, PA will come to NJ. I am going out to see them next week.

Tom

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great, so you got in touch w/ them Tom? Did you talk to Jason? Did you mention we told you to call :)

Michelle, I'd love to see pictures- post them when you can!

• Tom
    13 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter

We met with Glenn @ Dutchwood on Saturday we hope to hear back from him on Wednesday. Still nothing from Blue Mtn. on a quote. The cabinets at Dutchwood are very well constructed using 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together.

Gleen spent 2.5 hours with us making suggestions and improvements to our plan we sent him. He said he had 3 hours of CAD time into our plan before our meeting. I am sure he will have a few more hours in providing a quote to us. Glenn was very professional and was a great guy to work with.

I will let you know when we get our quotes back in a few days.

Thanks for the recommendation for Dutchwood it was well worth the 1.5 hour drive to visit them.

Tom

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tom, thanks for the update! I'm so glad that you thought it was worth it to go out there. I haven't actually met Glenn, we've been working w/ Jason the whole time. I continue to be extremely impressed with him though.

I was really concerned about integrating my fridge and I mentioned it a few times, and he even went to our appliance place to verify it was the right fridge for full integration and to take pictures. He is also extremely responsive to emails, very fast and efficient (he's going out on Monday to our house to measure already) and great about taking my suggestions/ideas and figuring out exactly what I'm looking for.

I think you will be really pleased with your quote when you get it too... I'll be eager to hear what you decide! :)

• finestra
    13 years ago

Michelle/Tom
    How goes your cabinets with Dutchwood?
    Can you give us an idea of his pricing for Kitchen (style, finish, linear feet etc.)
    Thanks!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finestra- we are the ones working w/ Dutch Wood, not Michelle (at least I don't think she is). I had posted the thread to let Michelle know our experiences.

Anyway, we continue to be very happy w/ Dutch Wood. They are very quick at getting drawings done, very detail oriented, have noticed and fixed things when doing markings at the house our contractor didn't have right, and seem excited about our project (which involves some unusual things that create a lot more work for them) and committed to making sure it comes out right (I think Jason spent several hours at our build-site one day getting the angles perfect for a triangular bookcase we are building to go up to a peaked ceiling).

We are getting full overlay cabinets, solid wood, 3/4 inch plywood, painted finish, soft close on all cabinets/drawers, etc, full extension drawers, and pretty much all glass on uppers. Lots of pull-outs, etc. Our kitchen quote is around $35,000 for everything you see below (not the countertops, those are coming from someone else):

My photoshop mock-up to give you an idea, which is almost-but-not-quite updated to the latest version:

Based on my quote sheet, it looks like 15.5 feet of painted base and wall cabinets along that cooktop wall is $418/ft. To take that wall of cabinets to out 9 ft. ceilings w/o any gap (other than for crown) is an extra $40/door. Extras and additions have been very affordable, and they do also have an econo-line grade of cabinets that costs less that we are using for our closets and pantry which is still solid wood, it is just 1/2 inch plywood instead of 3/4 inch plywood (note that going up to 1/2 inch plywood is an upgrade on some cabinet lines like Kraftmaid).

There are a ton of "extras" included w/ Dutch Wood's basic price as well. Tom posted a brochure here: which can be found in this thread

Our cabinets will not begin to be installed until May, but we did see a kitchen in another house our builder built that was made by Dutch Wood which looked wonderful and the more I see of their work versus other cabinets I see elsewhere, the happier I am that we went w/ them.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

finestra am I remembering right that you were the one who wanted blue in another thread? If so, just FYI, we are doing blue painted in our kitchen for some of our cabs and also blue stained in other parts of our house. We actually took our blue granite to Sherwin Williams and got the paint exactly color matched using that little machine they have there and Dutch Wood is using that formula for our blue for our blue cabs... so, you can pretty much use any blue under the sun w/ them if you want to.

• finestra
    13 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful kitchen! Stunning!

Yes I want light blue cabinetry. I am struggling with the shade of blue in a battle between cool/ice toned blues with a white counter -vs.- a warmer toned blue favoring a darker countertop with a fabulous iridescent glass backsplash with gold tinged blues, yellows and green. Thanks for the suggestion regarding the paint sample.

Are those paneled fridge/freezer units?
    The wall of glass cabinets is beautiful!
    What is the corner cabinet with the carving?
    I saw Tom's brochure and it is quite impressive. Love the corner drawers they show.
    I think I may contact dutchwood. One further question - how long is it taking them to make the cabinets?
    Thanks for all of the info!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The cabinet closest to the pantry is a built-in fridge w/ bottom freezer. The one on the other end is an "appliance" cabinet w/ a retractable door and pull out work surface to hide kitchen-aid mixer, etc. We are actually doing mirrored panels on both of those doors to mimic the glass china cabinet wall across from them. Dutch Wood is also making the bottom on the freezer look like 2 drawers instead of 1 big one so that the fridge/freezer looks like an antique french armoire as opposed to like a fridge.

I'm not sure what you mean by corner cabinet w/ carving, but I think you may be referring to the frosted glass pantry door we are putting in? That is just a door that we are just getting from Home Depot.

I could go on and on about all the custom stuff Dutch Wood is doing for us- they are raising our island by 3 inches so I can have a silverware drawer above my built-in sub-zero fridge/freezer drawer, they are doing all custom pull-out inserts for me so I can have exactly the storage I want, and that isn't even to mention the rest of the house, like my lazy-shoesens in my closet, my built-in dog grooming tub w/ pull-out step, the peaked ceiling bookcases, etc. etc.

Dutch Wood is making our cabinets for May because that is our build schedule, so I don't know how speedily they could do a kitchen for a remodel. I believe they are doing Tom's cabinets w/in 8 weeks from his order or maybe w/in 10 weeks, but he'd have to answer that. They were extremely fast on getting back to us w/ a quote (w/in 48 hours of me sending my pictures over) and have been very very efficient on drawings and going to the house to measure and mark (they are doing our WHOLE house- two closets, two laundry rooms, a master fireplace and window seat, a pantry, a mud room, peaked-ceiling conservatory built-in bookcases, and window seat, great room built-ins, gathering room built-ins, and 4 bathrooms- And they are doing ALL of that for less than the quote I originally got for Medallion cabinetry for just the kitchen & 3 bathrooms w/o any of these special features)

• finestra
    13 years ago

The appliance work station sounds very interesting - do you have any photos or drawings of it? I have a lot of small appliances, including two KA standing mixers for when I do holiday cookies, and this cabinet sound great!

I was referring to the frosted door in the corner. What a great concept!

Thanks for all of your information. You have definitely convinced me to reach out to Dutch Wood.
    Thanks!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's my idea for the appliance cabinet- it is not as fancy as it sounds. It's basically just a big cabinet (36 inches wide) w/ a large open shelf-type area inside and plugs inside the cabinet. The door will retract. I may have the shelf the appliances are on be a roll-out shelf, but I haven't decided for sure yet. There is a pull-out work surface on the area below the shelf w/ the appliance cabs.

If/when you call Dutch Wood, you can tell them I sent you (Christy) :)

• finestra
    13 years ago

Thanks for the photo! I definitely will tell them you recommended them to us! Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

• Tom
    13 years ago

Finestra,

Cabinets to be installed the week of May 16th. We spent about 6 weeks in the design stage, with many e-mails, cad drawings being turned around in 1-2 days. If they said I will have it on Tuesday I had it on Tuesday. I am working with Glenn who had been with them for about 6-9 months. They return phone calls, OR answer when you call, NO VOICE mail.

We are also doing 2 bathroom vanities and laundry room cabinets. Friday we went to the granite fabricators to pick out our granite. We did not find anything we liked. No problem here is our supplier, call them and look at what they have, the warehouse is 250K sq. ft. I told my wife if she can not find what she wants in this warehouse we are not getting granite! So this Saturday we will visit and see what we can find.

Everyone has been great to deal with and are very friendly and try very much to make things work. I have NOT heard NO yet!

Payment is 30% at signing of paper work, the rest when they install and we are happy with the work. Samething with the counter tops. They are not big on contracts. We asked for one and got, "well we usually do not do that but if you want one, we will". They do not except credit cards.

Let us know if you make it out to visit them.

Tom

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finestra- no problem. Let us know how it goes w/ them or if you have any other questions for me I'd be glad to answer. I'll be really excited to hear what you decide w/ the blues too- I LOVE blue kitchens!

Tom- I'm glad to hear you're still liking Dutch Wood too. I haven't heard no to anything yet either- its amazing! I am wishing we had done our granite through them too since my granite fabricator is making me a bit nervous... but we already bought our slabs :( Anyway, good luck w/ your granite search. I can't wait to see your installed project!!