Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaidan_gw

If you have a single bowl sink and garbage disposal...

kaidan
14 years ago

how do you prevent things like spoons, forks, other miscellaneous from falling down into the disposal? Does the sink grid help that from happening?

If you use your sink grid most often and have a batch feed disposal, do you wish that you had a continuous model instead?

Comments (20)

• lucypwd
    14 years ago

I have a single sink with a batch feed disposal. My prior sink had a continuous model. I have to say with the batch feed I have not had one item damaged in the disposal. I do use a sink grid,but utensils can still slide into the disposal because the grid is open over the disposal. It took a while to get used to the batch feed, but I like the fact that there is no extra switch for the disposal and that no one will accidentally get injured. I am happy with the batch feed now, although it is somewhat easier to use a continuous model.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

I have this plastic gizmo that fits in the collar that lets water through, but not much else. I bought it on ebay for about $3 and free shipping. It may not be cute, but it works.

On my prep sink, I have a strainer stopper for the disposer, instead of the usual stopper.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

I have the continuous with the grid. No problems in the 6 weeks so far, but there is basically almost only 1 of us using the sink. LOVE the big single sink. I will eventually put a strainer guard over the disposal once I find a nice steel or black one rather than the chintzy white plastic one I used to have....

• bommai
    14 years ago

I have a sink on an island (new house build) and need to make a decision on whether to get the air switch or a batch feed model. I have never used a batch feed! Any advantage/disadvantage.

• westchestermom
    14 years ago

We have a large single sink with a batch feed garbarge disposal. We don't have a sink grid. I would be way too nervous to have any other kind of disposal with small kids around. We have a strainer and we also just use the drain cover to stop things going down. But we also have trained ourselves to check to see if there is anything down there that shouldn't be. It hasn't really been a problem. I think we have damaged one fork.

• rosie_2006
    14 years ago

We have a stainless steel drain strainer purchased from Kitchens and Baths for less than $5. I always leave it in rather than the stopper, which I really don't need since I use the dishwasher.

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Our set-up is a big single-bowl sink, batch feed disposal and rubbermaid mats. It takes two mats to cover the bottom of the sink. I leave the disposal cover off although it could be left in place because water flows easily through the cover. My only complaint is the white mats absorb colorants in the food making them look dirty.

This is the first batch feed disposal I have used. Honestly, I don't understand why one would want the extra step and expense of putting in an air switch. Efficiency seems to be a 'god' in the kitchen, and the continuous feed just adds another step. Batch feed is uncommon in residential use. My plumber (who admittedly was an a$$) had never heard of one.

• momj47
    14 years ago

I have a single bowl sink and disposal and in almost 6 years nothing unexpected has gone down the disposal. Mine came with a rubber baffle something like this, that seems to help prevent stuff from going down the drain. It means I have to "stuff" bigger things down, but paying attention prevents surprises.

• momof3kids_pa
    14 years ago

I agree with momj47, mine also came with that rubber kind of thing, you have to "stuff" to get bigger things down. I have a big single with a continuous feed, and had a similar (less fabulous!) set up before the remodel, and have never had anything go down that shouldn't.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

This reminds me I was at a party doing dishes to help
    the host. I could not find the GD switch. Everyone was
    annoyed as I kept clicking lights on and off. Finally
    someone came up to me and said "No garbage disposal."
    Keep in mind it was the end of the evening and I had
    a few too many martinis.

I had not cleared the plates off of the food particles.
    Total looser. I did clean up the sink wonderfully despite
    my stupidity. No food clogging.

I think if you are on top of the food peices and dirty
    dishes it doesn't happen. It is usually someone who does
    not know your kitchen that might harm your flatware.
    I promise I won't do your dishes. : )

I have a single bowl and garbage disposal never lost a
    spoon I didn't like.

~boxerpups

• kaidan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well boxerpups, actually anytime you want to do my dishes you are more than welcome. It is probably my least favorite chore.

Ok so I will plan on getting a rubber baffle like momj47 offered. To be honest, I couldn't picture what the drain strainer would look like. I am trying to avoid the regular strainer that collects all the nasty food gunk that you throw away.

My next decision is to batch feed or not.

• lucypwd
    14 years ago

The cover of a batch feed can sit in place all the time as it lets water through easily. You just turn the cover to start the disposal. If you want to close the drain to fill with water, you just flip it over. PS I love my sink grids

• anny-2009
    14 years ago

This Scrappy Multi-Purpose Disposer Tool may work but is not pretty.
    http://www.amazon.com/Waste-Maid-MST-10-Multi-Purpose-Disposer/dp/B000JQPMPI/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

Annie

• semi
    14 years ago

Unfortunately I grind up objects weekly in my single sink continuous feed disposal. So much stuff that my husband is dead set against a single bowl sink again in the renovation. I on the other hand love the big sink, just haven't figured out how not to grind stuff up (I have smaller objects in the sink, like baby spoons and sippy cup valves that often get sucked down with the water backed up in the sink when you need to run the disposer).

I hope this thread can teach me how not to have the ground up spoon trouble and to get that big bowl sink I really want.

I know it sounds like a simple problem of not being careful, but it happens. I scrap the plates into the sink, the kids put their tableware into the sink, then if I rinse the plates prior to loading in the dishwasher any food from the plates gets gross and soggy at the bottom of the sink, making a foul soup. My solution is to run the disposer for a moment to let the mess go. But it is in those moments when, grrrr crunch. Ugh, another spoon (or Lego piece--what was that doing in the sink?) or cup lid bites the dust.

I do have the plastic baffle it stops nothing but big bagels.

I'm reading attentively to help solve this nasty problem.

• kaidan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does anyone else have this problem with the baffle? that most things still fall down into the disposal like semi's?

I'm going for the batch garbage disposal I'm pretty sure. I'm wondering if the batch feed cover will help more than a baffle.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Our new In-Sink-Erator disposal comes with a rubber gasket that looks like triangles around the edges with the points towards the center. Nothing falls into it, the baffles prevent it. In fact, I have to push items through the gasket, very little drops through on its own. And oh, my gosh, it is ever quiet!

We have a double bowl now and silverware ends up in both sides of the sink so we've always had to be careful. Although our previous two systems didn't prevent silverware from slipping into them, we've only had two instances of silverware grinding and both were brief, thank goodness. With the new system, I have absolutely no qualms about going with a single bowl in the remodel.

• kaidan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lisa_a which disposal did you get?

• fin1
    14 years ago

I have a batch feed, single sink and sink grid. I have always had a batch feed and would never get anything else--even though my kids are grown. The electrician was so unfamiliar with it, though, that he put in a wall switch. So, I have to turn on the wall switch to run the disposal.
    I do not have anything fall in like my old one. Then, I was always grinding up a spoon or something. The lid fits, lets water run down, but you do have to shove bigger stuff into the disposal. It is no big deal and I think much safer than continuous feed.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

It's called the Evolution Pro-compact. It was recommended by the plumber our designer uses. Bought it as a local plumbing supply store. It's a continuous feed.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz