Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_metzger

do I need a prep sink? [thinking ice/water/stone/marcolo]

Cook1
9 years ago

My new mantra: ice/water/stone/fire
It's a simple galley kitchen (with a 5ft aisle). But still I'm not sure if I need a prep sink near the stove. If I can do without it, I get a huge expanse of counter. With it, I get a separate area to clean dishes.
The plan isn't exactly to scale, but close enough for this decision.
What do you suggest?
{{gwi:2139139}}

Comments (6)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I'm chuckling at your thread title. You left out fire and wrote Marcolo. Marcolo can be quite fiery so this really works. Maybe we should start saying Marcolo instead of fire around here. If you shouted it in a theater, only GWebbers would get up and run. LOL

Here's the recommended space near stove for prepping.

{{gwi:2139140}}

If you have 36", you're good to go.

I would say that if you're just a few inches short, you might think about how you use your kitchen to decide if it's worth having a prep space even a bit smaller than recommended. I know that in my kitchen, the main point of congestion is the sink and it can be frustrating when two of us are working in the kitchen fighting for sink access. Well, not really fighting but, ya know....anyway, if this is a common occurrence in your own kitchen, I would say that it might be worth it even if prep space is a tad narrower than ideal. If not an issue, it may not be worth it.

My long-winded way of saying that if you have enough space, then I think you should definitely go for it. Most people that have had one would never go back to not having one.

Although, if your budget will allow it, you could make your one sink something like a Kohler Stages 45 which is big enough for two people to work with at the same time as long as you also have two faucets.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Think about moving the fridge across the aisle. And the range to where the fridge was, with just a 15'' cabinet between it and the wall. If you also had the prep sink, tha would give you two very nice dedicated areas for prep. But what it would also give you is the two main elements that generate traffic in a galley on the same side. No more crossing the aisle with hot or sharp at the same time someone is trying to pass through.

• User
    9 years ago

I redid a smaller galley than yours last summer, and followed the advice that both @Jillius and @live_wire_oak have offered. If you can swap the range and fridge, and move the dishwasher to the other side of the sink, I'd highly recommend it. It is incredibly efficient - I can pivot to reach anything within just a couple of steps, and I don't have to worry about inadvertently dumping a pot of hot pasta water on anyone!

It's also very nice for preparing food. I only managed to get 36" between the fridge and sink - I think 48" would be ideal. But I usually prep over the sink as well, so it's not really a big deal. I used a GE spacesaver microwave, installed below an upper cabinet on the refrigerator wall. I find it really useful placement since I'm usually microwaving stuff that comes out of the fridge or freezer anyway. Toaster, blender and kids snacks are on that side of the kitchen, which keeps them (and getting lunches ready) out of my limited cooking space.

You might still want a prep sink, but as the previous posters said, a few changes might really make your kitchen function more smoothly.

• Cook1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your comments.
    I can't move the range for various reasons, nor can I replace it with a different one (it is a 36"" Thermador that cost a gazillion dollars and works fine).

Julius: I've always wanted an oven that I don't have to bend over to get to, especially for baking, hence the stacked ovens.

FunkyCamper:The current plan has 36"" between the range and prep sink. I'd be giving up the prep sink for a 5 foot plating/baking expanse.

LiveWire: Moving the frig to the other side of the aisle makes sense. Would it be just as effective to switch placement of the oven and the frig, I.e., have the frig and range on the same wall and the stacked oven/microwave on the cleanup sink side? If I do that I'll have to give up the prep sink.

Alternatively, would it improve flow to move the frig to the other end of its current run (it would then be close to the eat in area).

Last, would it be an improvement if I moved the prep sink to the left of where it currently shows (so that it is at the left end of the cabinet run)?
    Thanks for your help.

• LE
    9 years ago

I would rather have the 5 ft counter than the prep sink, but I've never had one, so never missed it. I also have never had the "problem" of people eager to do cleanup while food prep is still underway. I'd still want the DW on the other side of the sink, though.