Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillius18

Does this exist? Hardwood floor help.

Jillius
9 years ago

I am trying to pick a hardwood floor for our condo. It will run everywhere except the bathroom, including the kicthen. Our upper kitchen cabinets, counters, and walls are white. Our base cabinets are so dark brown that they are basically black.

I would like a floor that contrasts well with the dark base cabinets. We also have windows on only one side of the condo, so I am very concerned about not making things too dark. So we are looking exclusively at light- and mid-toned woods. The lighter the better, really.

The problem is that my husband and I don't like a lot of the lighter woods because they either are yellow or yellow over time.

Is there a neutral-colored lighter wood that stays that way? The only thing I've seen that was both light and not yellow had some sort of grey stain/distressing on it and unfortunately looked really fake.

Comments (13)

• badgergal
    9 years ago

The floors in my home are natural ash, no stain. As you can see in the picture below they are very light. We had them sanded and refinished 3 years ago when we did our kitchen but we have lived with them for 12 years total and they have never yellowed. Here is a shot of them.

You could also check out natural maple. We had that in a previous home and my DD has them in her home. They are also quite light. No yellowness on hers or ours. Sorry I do not have a picture of those floors.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

In our first home, we uncovered 60 year old oak floors. We refinished them ourselves and added a cherry stain and in the 3+ years we lived there, they never yellowed.

In my experience, yellowing is not because of the wood but because of the finish that is applied reacting with sunlight.

I would look at oak or ash as both are very hard and naturally light.

• Jillius
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will have to look at natural ash! I didn't know it was used for floors.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

OT: f natural ash is hard enough for floors, will it work for a counter top:

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Technicolor- ash is comparable to oak so I would think you could use it for a countertop.

My custom cabs are made out of ash.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Maple is naturally light in color and is harder than oak or ash. Bamboo is harder than maple and light in color too.

• Jillius
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We were warned that maple would yellow, and indeed I have a maple side table that has yellowed a lot over the years.

• eve72
    9 years ago

What you want is a laminate floor.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Have you considered bamboo? We put bamboo in our family room and kitchen in our previous home and loved it. Light color (all dark cabinets in that house) - very warm on bare feet.

Our current place has real oak floors (3/4"). They were super-dark when we moved in. We ended up refinishing them in a medium stain (4 parts coffee, part rosewood). The kitchen has shiny white uppers and greige laminate lower cabinets. We do get a lot of sun, though.

Anyway, I'd recommend light bamboo. Loved them.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

OT to technicolor - I wouldn't personally use ash or red oaks for a countertop since they are open pored woods. They'd need a lot of finish to fill the pores well enough to clean up well in a kitchen. White oak might be a better choice.

Jillius - Look at maple with a tung oil finish. I am not sure how tung oil is on a floor as far as wear, but it is a wonderful finish that has little or no yellowing. We use it as a wood finish on bowls and furniture, and it adds almost no color, but it is a small molecule that sinks well into the wood to bring out the grain. It is also relatively forgiving in that if you have to refinish an area it is easy to blend the new with the old. I imagine that you would have to get the floor unfinished and have it finished for you since I doubt it would come prefinished with tung oil.

• bmorepanic
    9 years ago

Also white oak with a water based finish.

It's also possible to use a white or light grey or light brown tinged finish. This might appear darker in the store, but it should look plenty light next to your cabinets but still leave some wiggle room to add something like stools in an even lighter tone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just the picture for color.

• AshleyB83
    9 years ago

Not the best picture, but have you seen tigerwood? Ours is red. The hardwood store also had another kind that was a different shade, lighter I think. I love the variations although I know they're not for everyone.

• AshleyB83
    9 years ago

Here's a better picture that shows all the variation.