Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeitgast

Which combo do you like best?

Sms
11 years ago

Hi all,

Slogging through the myriad of choices for our white on white kitchen. Actual door style we are choosing is shaker but I couldn't find that door in the two finish colors we are considering. Would appreciate your votes on the following combinations...

Option 1:
{{!gwi}}

Option 2:
{{!gwi}}

Option 3:
{{!gwi}}

Option 4:
{{!gwi}}

Option 5:
{{!gwi}}

Option 6:
{{!gwi}}

Option 7:
{{!gwi}}

Option 8:
{{!gwi}}

Comments (47)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I don't like any of the options with the white glass. It seems much too cold to compliment the warmer, brownish/ivory tones.

I like the Silestone with either cab color. Marshmallow is warmer than the Ivory. Have you tried actual cab samples in your house with your lighting? Which looks better there? Have you tried the cab samples with the tile?

The sub looks off to me with either cab color, but photos of materials and monitors can be deceiving.

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

Option 3 or 7. The white glass is throwing me off too, although I quite like that backsplash as a standalone element.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

3 with antique white backsplash

• Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all appreciate the help. Not your monitor Breezy-- indeed having trouble finding the right subway. Agree that that glass tile is a bit too much-- love it though. Maybe in the bathroom... If we never do find just the right shade of subway tile what about a simpler glass tile (whiter or less blue/green than this perhaps).

{{!gwi}}

Here is a hacked cut and paste pic including the range and hood we are leaning towards. Putting this all together makes the counter top look all wrong... driving myself crazy with all this!!

{{!gwi}}

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

greatly prefer option 3 or 4 .don't care for the milk glass or lucian glass. You could move toward ivory or light beigey gray subway with the silestone stellar.

• amykath
    11 years ago

Fan of option 7. Nice choices!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

You have a little bitty antique white tile off to the side - can you show with Option 7, 4, and 3.
    I too wanted glass but they all came off too cold or too brown and ended up going with a crema subway tile

I like both the Ceasarstone choices but am leaning toward the London Gray but love the name Stellar Snow - as I live in snow country... OK -our snow never looks that warm... Just cold, blue or gray unless too much dirt is mixed into the snow!

• ArchitectMamma
    11 years ago

I like the warmth of the choices in Option 7. Glass tile always reads cool colorwise to me. Maybe it would work with a light gray cabinet?

• ArchitectMamma
    11 years ago

I like the warmth of the choices in Option 7. Glass tile always reads cool colorwise to me. Maybe it would work with a light gray cabinet?

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

The options all look very soothing, but I'm not sure which I like best.

You might have seen my caution in an earlier thread on which we both posted. I have Starmark ivory cream and like it very much, but in my kitchen it looks much cooler than what I see on your mood boards (on my iPad or my laptop). My cabs look more like a pale putty than an ivory cream. So before you set your heart on a tile or countertop, I'd be sure to get some samples to see how they all work together in real life.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Too many combos to choose from, so one way of approaching it is to look at each combo in pairs and choose the one you like from each pair, and keep eliminating that way until you whittle it down.

I like the glass tile, but think by itself it will be too much for the space, so I would consider using it as a trim element in a solid field rather than by itself. I also think it's a little white for the off white cabs you are looking at and there may be a better glass option. I do prefer the marshmallow to the ivory as it's warmer....really pretty. And I prefer the caesarstone option to the silestone.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I like #7. Every element will occupy a different plane and light will fall on each one differently. IOW, they don't all lie flat side by side as our samples do. My cabs and tile are different shades of creamy white and now that they're in place, they can often look like an exact match, depending on the time of day. It's okay.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Options 4 and 8. I love the milk glass tile, but it doesn't work with the warmer tones.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Option 4 but with the panel door, not the beadboard door as shown in option. Is that possible?

I think the milk glass tile, while gorgeous, is too contemporary for the beadboard. The other choices shown with the glass tile, it's just a little off. But it looks best with the ivory cream varnish color on my monitor but again I don't think it's optimal with the beadbaord door style. You have the makings of a beautiful kitchen! Good luck.

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

I think you should focus on the cabinet color and countertop decision first. Both of the manufactured quartz products are nice but they are very different. The silestone is busy and the caesarstone is calm. Which do you prefer?

Once you get that decision made then focus on the backsplash. There is no glass tile that is going to read warm in a white color. You might look at the brown options and if you pick a light colored tone it might read white in your kitchen. Otherwise I think you should be looking at ceramic.

And I am not sure what your Shaker style looks like, but I agree with the previous poster that glass is a very contemporary look, and the kitchen you're describing sounds more traditional to me. If you want a more contemporary backsplash without going all the way to glass, look for a ceramic tile with a rectified edge.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Your focus is too scattered. None of the options really work. Pick ONE thing that you really want to build the kitchen around, and then start to focus on the accessory items like the counters and backsplash. Cabinets are the hardest thing to change and come in so many profiles and colors that I'd suggest that you start there. Figure out whether you want a recessed or a raised panel, or if you like the V grove. Then focus on the color. Work outwards from a few firm decisions rather than trying to watch all 922 cable channels at once!

• snowbean
    11 years ago

I happen to come across a very similar color scheme kitchen on the Caesarstone site . If you love that back splash color maybe you would like the cabinet color that the designer picked for the Caesarstone professional photo ? The colors are very nice all together like in this photo. hope i'm not over stepping here ...

• renov8r
    11 years ago

I like 4 with the antique white subway tiles. The counter gives the otherwise bland colours a lift. I like the plainer cupboard as in 3, but that is just personal preference.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

I like three best. And I think the antique white might work better for the subway.

I also think that the milk glass does not work with the warmer whites of the counter and cabinets. Pretty on its own, but you would have to choose everything else to complement it, and I think you'd have to go with bluish or greenish whites to make it work. Not warm, not creamy. I don't know if you could get the right shade in a cabinet without going to custom paint.

• Jfay
    11 years ago

I'm for option 3 with white not antique white tile. But have you ever seen Caesarstone nougat? It looks similar to the stellar snow I think but no sparkles.

• Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the very helpful feedback!! I should give a bit more context I suppose...

This is a small 12' x 12' kitchen in a beach house. We thought white-on-white would help expand the space along with taking down a wall. The floor plan will be pretty open and we will likely use blue as an accent color hence the desire to try to pull some color into the kitchen via glass tiles. I don't yet have my door samples (just color chips) and the house is actually on the other side of the country making all these color choices all the more vexing but the warm vs. cool perspectives are very helpful.

fouramblues your kitchen is gorgeos congrats! Curious which door style you chose? We are going with Starmark and want a shaker style. (BTW love the retro pencil b/s direction you are going in)

• bons
    11 years ago

Is Caesarstone London Gray available yet? I didn't see it on their website??

Bonnie

• Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jfay yes Nougat is another very good option depending on the cabinet color we land on

• Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

London Grey will be available in March according to CS-- should work for our timeline. I obtained a sample from a friend of mine in Australia. It looks like Misty Carrera but with longer veins.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Thanks for your kind words about my kitchen! I'm SO happy with it, but am ready for it to be really finished. I'm anxiously awaiting a delivery of subway tile samples today!

Our door style is Bonita. It's Shaker style but has a reverse raised panel. In case you don't know what that means (I'd never heard of this before): the front of the center panel is flat, but when you open the door you can see that the back of the center panel is raised. Makes for a beefier center panel.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Well, when I took my laptop into the kitchen colors changed a little on the screen and option one looked good and based on what you said about the beach, I am loving the backsplash for a beach house! Yum! The shaker can look modern so it would be pretty. Will you be renting it out? haha

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I prefer the Ivory from what I can see, and think that either glass tile is better than the eye-gougingly-tedious subway option.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I like the milk glass but I try to avoid being locked into a color scheme and like be able to change my wall color or accents to another color without having to be worried about if it matches the backsplash. I like the sillestone much more than the caesarstone. I would also go with the cream colored subway tile. as far as the cabinet style I like both but think the shaker door will be easier to keep clean than the beadboard.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Just to further confuse things, I vote for #6. Like Marcolo, I like the Ivory better (on my screen). And the glass tiles look fairly blue on my computer -- is that what color they are IRL? That would look nice in a beach house. What beach?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Maybe it's my monitor, but I don't think the color of he marshmallow cabs, milkglass or Lucian glass go with anything. That cab looks too warm creamy pinkish and those 2 tiles way too cool and bluish in undertone.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Love the simpler door style. What about that with the speckled counter and a vertical tile to give a beadboard look to the backsplash? Or beadboard for that matter.

The glass options do look blue and are throwing me off, too.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Minority opinion apparently but I love the First one. I think the iridescence of the milk glass will pick up the shades of the cabinets and counters. I think it's gorgeous! Good Luck with your choices. It seems many GW's love subway tiles, but it looks to me that that's not what you love. Go with what your heart!

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Minority opinion here, also. I like option #5 best, with #6 as a runner up.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

What LWO said -- pick what you love most and work outward. It's hard to solve three equations simultaneously!

• jojo100
    11 years ago

I have to admit I like option number 3. I think these colors all work well together because they are all warm tones, and I prefer the simpler door style. I agree that the milk white glass tile is way to cool a color for the warm tones of the cabinets and other countertops. I also think if you were to use the milk glass as a backsplash a much cooler color of cabinets and countertop would be needed, for example light grey or pure white. And I do like option number 7 but only if you go with the antique white backsplash tile. Again because all the warm tones work well together. JMHO. Good luck with your decision.

• jojo100
    11 years ago

I have to admit I like option number 3. I think these colors all work well together because they are all warm tones, and I prefer the simpler door style. I agree that the milk white glass tile is way to cool a color for the warm tones of the cabinets and other countertops. I also think if you were to use the milk glass as a backsplash a much cooler color of cabinets and countertop would be needed, for example light grey or pure white. And I do like option number 7 but only if you go with the antique white backsplash tile. Again because all the warm tones work well together. JMHO. Good luck with your decision.

• jojo100
    11 years ago

Sorry about duplicate.

• lexmomof3
    11 years ago

So, have you made a decision? Everyone's killing me with the comments about the milk glass. I've had my heart set on that backsplash for months!

I have a sample of that milk glass and I think the color in the pictures above (at least on my monitor) are showing a bit off compared to what it actually looks like. I'm planning on something similar to option 5 but with inset cabinets.....I think. I wanted a creamy white cabinet but I do think with the milk glass, it needs to be a truer white, but not necessarily stark white.

• lexmomof3
    11 years ago

Bumping to see what you decided and if you have pictures.

Thanks!

• georgiemd
    11 years ago

I like the milk glass for a beach house. I think that would look great. I prefer an ivory colored cabinet but without the bead board. And I would do a darker solid color counter like a soapstone.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Well, for options 3 and 4, you give the same tile name/color, but they look completely different on my monitor.

• Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi All... back again and still undecided but we did pick a door style (not this one going inset shaker) and a color and fell in love with a crackle tile.

Which do you like better for this beach house kitchen?

Option 1 (lets call it "sand"-- tile is really more grey than taupe)

{{!gwi}}

Option 2 (lets call it "sea")

{{!gwi}}

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Wow you're all over the place aren't you?:>) I know too many pretty choices it's hard to decide!

I realize that isn't your cabinet style, but is it the correct color? If so, sorry I'm going to say it again,on my monitor it looks too warm for the cool countertop and backsplash choices in # 1. Other than that I prefer #1 because when I think beach kitchen I think bright and white especially if it's not large.

Might help to actually see the kitchen or a layout. Is it large, small, have a view of the ocean, etc??

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Removed duplicate post.

This post was edited by island on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 21:13

• Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Island all over the place but starting to narrow things down (I hope). Good news is we are still awaiting the permits to get started so we can keep changing our minds on the cheap.

The cabinets are that color sort of-- actually they are a bit lighter and less creamy in real life. That said though, we keep looking at other options b/c the Nougat/cabinet match isn't quite perfect-- still a bit of a warm and cold conflict as you astutely pointed out. Light grey/taupe tiles look really good with the Nougat esp with a white grout.

Piatra Grey and Raven, on the other hand, look great with the cabinet color but feels a bit more formal than we were attempting. The crackle blue tile is gorgeous and might work if we confine the tile to the behind the range back splash area-- perhaps. Might be too blue though.

If we can get comfortable with Nougat or another light color counter (London Grey and Stellar Snow don't really work either) then we'd run the subway up and around the window (I think)

Layout...
    {{!gwi}}

The view isn't ocean as we are on a cove in a salt pond. No need to improve that part at least : )

• Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • islanddevil
    11 years ago

Nice kitchen and view. I asked about the latter because if there was a lot of window and nothing but blue sky and water outside I wouldn't want to detract from that with more blue inside. Your view is different, but I'm still not feeling the blue with the black and I think you nailed it, the black does seem more formal.

No picture available of the door you're going with? Most of the backsplash and countertop choices you like are cooler in undertone than the cabinet. Lots of pretty choices that just don't match that white, so why not choose a different white cabinet?

Also consider starting a new thread with your latest options and layout. You'd probably get more responses since some who have responded before may not realize you've posted new options. Good luck!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area